Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the musty odor from the AC at start up twice today. Only lasted a few seconds but it was definately noticeable. I did a search on the topic and read about the TSB. Since I took delivery of the car (delivered on 09/25 with 2800 miles), I have been using the RECIRCULATE mode exclusively. Some of the posts on this subject suggested using the RECIRCULATE mode for only brief periods which I can live with. I believe the owner's manual suggests this also.

My question is by switching to the OUTSIDE AIR mode and using the RECIRCULATE mode sparringly, will it make the odor go away on its own, or will I have to have the coil cleaned and other things in the TSB?

If you have had this issue, I would appreciate any of your input.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,351 Posts
You need to use the Reserc as little as possible to minimize the potential, but you need to go have it cleaned as it will not go away. I've had to have it done twice (first time, dealer didn't do such a good job).

·
Registered
78 Posts
I got the musty odor from the AC at start up twice today. Only lasted a few seconds but it was definately noticeable. I did a search on the topic and read about the TSB. Since I took delivery of the car (delivered on 09/25 with 2800 miles), I have been using the RECIRCULATE mode exclusively. Some of the posts on this subject suggested using the RECIRCULATE mode for only brief periods which I can live with. I believe the owner's manual suggests this also.

My question is by switching to the OUTSIDE AIR mode and using the RECIRCULATE mode sparringly, will it make the odor go away on its own, or will I have to have the coil cleaned and other things in the TSB?

If you have had this issue, I would appreciate any of your input.

Thanks!
I had the same promblem. If you keep in Outside air for a few days it will go away. To keep this from happening just switch to outside for the last few miles of you drive.

My girl also had this problem with her G35. They also recommended the above advice. Another trick is to spray some Fabreeze in the vents then run the a/c in rec mode for a few minutes. The fabreeze will kill the odor.

Rmedina

·
Registered
727 Posts
Step 1 : Close Your legs
Step 2 : turn ac on
All done
JK..... Had to do it.

I would actually recommend taking the whole silver Radio bezel out which is fairly easy so that you can reveal the duct hiding behind the vents. Then do the above of spraying fabreeze in there a few times, If you want maybe take a small type of freshener small enough to insert into one or two of the vents and stick it to it with some 3m double sided tape(I used a hanging tree-type freshener cut up in two pieces, for both vents). I had to do this to my lincoln ls, my car had the same problem. As soon as the freshener gave off I noticed The smell had went away over time by itself. But if you have time to be making trips to the dealer let them deal with it, hopefully they now have a real fix.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just got mine back from 2nd time in for a toxic odor coming from my ac. They cleaned the coil 3 times on 1st visit then once on 2nd time but the smell was still there. Then after a week of me being really pissed off all of a sudden it has stopped again for now. This seems to intermittent problem and will even smell sometimes with just vent fan on and ac off. These are cheap Chinese coils I guarantee you and that smell is more like toxic chemical burning than musty and it lasts for days or weeks not just a few minutes. If you smell musty you may have a mold problem or water leak.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been using Fresh Air mode the past few days and it seems to have solved the problem for now.
I had the same promblem. If you keep in Outside air for a few days it will go away. To keep this from happening just switch to outside for the last few miles of you drive.

My girl also had this problem with her G35. They also recommended the above advice. Another trick is to spray some Fabreeze in the vents then run the a/c in rec mode for a few minutes. The fabreeze will kill the odor.

Rmedina

·
Registered
555 Posts
I brought my Charger in for this issue this morning and it seems like the tech did an awesome job. When I got my car back I checked my mileage and it was the same mileage I got when I left it but when I checked my MPG avg. It went from 16 to 13...I was like WTF!! Then I went over the TSB and see one of the last steps is to leave the car running for 20 MINUTES while they are doing the cleaning of the coil......that explains my mileage drop...lol.

Anyway, I don't have a bad odor of anything right now and am pleased with the results.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Is there a problem with these cars A/C systems?

I have never had to use nor wanted to use the fresh air position while running the a/c compressor on any car I have ever driven... Being in Texas and near the coast where the temps are sitting at 90+ and will be for the next few months and the humidity is usually at or near 100%, why would I want to try to cool outside instead of re-cooling the air that my car has already worked to cool before?

I have noticed a slightly weird odor when I first turn on the a/c but my car is new[1/25/08] and hasn't got many miles on it yet and the smell goes away within a couple of minutes...But I guarantee I will set the a/c controls on recirc and they will not move until fall probably...I actually set the controls on recirc the day I bought the car and it has moved once to defog the windows...

For the other folks in Texas, especially in the Houston area, I am running about 38-40 degrees at the center vent in recirc.. what temps are ya'll seeing in outside air mode?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have never had to use nor wanted to use the fresh air position while running the a/c compressor on any car I have ever driven... Being in Texas and near the coast where the temps are sitting at 90+ and will be for the next few months and the humidity is usually at or near 100%, why would I want to try to cool outside instead of re-cooling the air that my car has already worked to cool before?

I have noticed a slightly weird odor when I first turn on the a/c but my car is new[1/25/08] and hasn't got many miles on it yet and the smell goes away within a couple of minutes...But I guarantee I will set the a/c controls on recirc and they will not move until fall probably...I actually set the controls on recirc the day I bought the car and it has moved once to defog the windows...

For the other folks in Texas, especially in the Houston area, I am running about 38-40 degrees at the center vent in recirc.. what temps are ya'll seeing in outside air mode?
I was doing the same thing as you when I got my car last September. Running in recirc all the time. You do not want to use the recirc mode all the time. It's a recipe for the musty smell you are experiencing. When you first start the car after it's been sitting in the heat for a while, go ahead and use the recirc mode for a few minutes. After the interior of the car cools down a little, switch to fresh air. I also switch to recirc when I'm stopped and exhaust from the car ahead is getting in the cabin. The rest of the time, I run in fresh air mode. Since I started doing this, I no longer get any must smell.

Make sure you get your windows tinted if you have not done so yet. That makes a world of difference in keeping the cabin cool especially in Houston.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The recirc. has nothing to do with it...or very little. It's a mass issue which is why there is a TSB on it. I never use the "recirculation" feature either and still had the Musty AC smell. The dude I called prior to taking my car in sounded like a robot saying it was probably "recirculation" mode...I said it isn't for me b/c I never use recirc mode...he then said if you forget to turn the AC switch "OFF" the smell could be there -- I haven't forgotten to turn the switch off either...lol...it seemed they are just trained to say whatever they can to avoid you from bringing your car in and doing a 60 min. TSB that I guess they get paid little or nothing for.

Since I brought my Charger in I have had no musty odor smell and they did a great job. I couldn't figure out why my gas mileage avg. had dropped a lot until I went over the TSB in detail later at night and realized after they spray the COIL the car is supposed to be on for a certain number of minutes. Anyway, it's been great since so the TSB appears to of worked.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Step 1 : Close Your legs
Step 2 : turn ac on
All done
JK..... Had to do it.

[\QUOTE]

Now that's funny!!!

Seriously, why recirc all the time? Do you live in a farm community with chicken coops and pig sty's all around you? American cars historically didn't really seal too well between these 2 modes so ok big whoop but the benz that they plucked at least the control unit from if not the whole system seals very well and I've forgotten about it a few times and actually started feeling slightly nautious and light-headed before glancing down and figuring out it was because I was slowly suffocating due to no oxygen being added to my cabin air from outside... This feature is useful when passing say Newark, NJ but not to be used constantly like on cheap systems where Max AC and Recirc are synonymous..... Merc actually changed it in the newer models and recirc only stays active for maybe 20-30 minutes before turning itself off for safety. You have to hit it again if you haven't got completely out of the stink zone...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Now that's funny!!!

Merc actually changed it in the newer models and recirc only stays active for maybe 20-30 minutes before turning itself off for safety. You have to hit it again if you haven't got completely out of the stink zone...
It turns off automatically in our cars too. At least it does in my Daytona.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Is there any way to stop it from turning off? Where I live I sit in traffic a lot and nothing smells worse than a diesel truck in front of you stinking up your car. Is there somekind of filter or something ? Because it actually smells like the windows are down when the fresh air is on

·
Registered
289 Posts
where the hell is the cabin air filter located....i looked where they are located on most cars and i cant find it?...i looked under the lip below the windshield near the firewall on the passenger side of the car...there is a pull off cover but nothing under it? is it in the car?

·
Registered
626 Posts
where the hell is the cabin air filter located....i looked where they are located on most cars and i cant find it?...i looked under the lip below the windshield near the firewall on the passenger side of the car...there is a pull off cover but nothing under it? is it in the car?
If your Charger doesn't have the protection group (side airbags, self-sealing tires, cabin filter) , you won't have it. You will see a flat diverter in place of a holder with a second door. You can retro fit it, plenum part # 04806294AA, comes with the filter too. They do make a Mopar accessory one, but it's the same plenum with just some extra clips added and it's more expensive.
Here's a link for instructions:
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=11337

·
Registered
289 Posts
Awsome...thanks for the info..and the link...CELTICS KICK A_SS!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts