Charger Forums banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Charger Scat Pack
86 Posts
Those 4.2s numbers for the Mustang must be a base GT, because the 10A and Michelin PS4S equipped cars were verified by Ford and Motor Trend at 3.9s. Not that it really matters though. Obsessing over a few tenths is splitting hairs. They’re all fast as Hell for the price.

Reactions: Karl_1052

·
Registered
138 Posts
I agree these cars are phenomenal value, but outperforming a Mustang or Camaro depends what performance metric you’re referring to. A Camaro SS or Mustang GT will absolutely annihilate a Challenger in basically everything except the 1/4 mile for the same price. It all comes down to personal preference. The Camaro 1LE can outperform cars double or triple its price, but GM screwed themselves so bad with the styling and ergonomics that nobody wants them. Dodge realized they didn’t need to cater to the track day bro’s and made useable everyday cars. I love that I’ve got a nearly 500 hp RWD sedan that can easily fit my two car seats in the back as well as a suitcases and a stroller in the trunk. All the while costing less than the average new car MSRP.
Just pointing our the official #s do not show what you detail above...

It's really not hard to find out where they came from. Just click on the link.
Now you are sounding like you don't want to know the truth, you just want to believe that your car is faster than a Mustang GT.
I do not believe an Alpine window decal adds 50hp...

·
Premium Member
2021 Hellion Twin turbo 392
1,326 Posts

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
The numbers on paper do not do neither the Scat Pack or GT justice.

For looks and stares, the Scat Pack draws the crowd and street challenges with its squat and throaty exhaust.

For performance, handling and track performance the current Mustang GT is good bang for the buck and very competitive despite its lower HP and Torque.

I paid $36,000 out the door for my 2019 Scat and had trouble after trouble with stupid stuff that shouldn't have failed. Suspension parts and the UConnect Radio to name a couple problems. After the last shop visit I ditched it faster than 60 seconds. I miss it but not the headaches.

I paid $25,000 for my 2012 GT out the door and installed a R2300 a few years later for a total investment of $31,000. More power and torque than a Scat and I have not had any repairs other than a leaky rear axle vent and the airbag recall that was repaired under TSB/Warranty. I'm still driving it, and even though it has the 6 speed auto and lincoln Log rear suspension it shits and gets.

If I get back into a Charger I think I will opt for the R/T and super charge it after driving it out of Pwr Train warranty.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The numbers on paper do not do neither the Scat Pack or GT justice.

For looks and stares, the Scat Pack draws the crowd and street challenges with its squat and throaty exhaust.

For performance, handling and track performance the current Mustang GT is good bang for the buck and very competitive despite its lower HP and Torque.

I paid $36,000 out the door for my 2019 Scat and had trouble after trouble with stupid stuff that shouldn't have failed. Suspension parts and the UConnect Radio to name a couple problems. After the last shop visit I ditched it faster than 60 seconds. I miss it but not the headaches.

I paid $25,000 for my 2012 GT out the door and installed a R2300 a few years later for a total investment of $31,000. More power and torque than a Scat and I have not had any repairs other than a leaky rear axle vent and the airbag recall that was repaired under TSB/Warranty. I'm still driving it, and even though it has the 6 speed auto and lincoln Log rear suspension it shits and gets.

If I get back into a Charger I think I will opt for the R/T and super charge it after driving it out of Pwr Train warranty.
Yeah, had an '85 Daytona and I put a ROUSH on it in my younger days. Took me many weekends of work. In my older years, not worth the effort to me, personally.

A lot of folks modify 60s/70s VWs. They weigh nothing, so any HP producing thing you put on them, watch out. We're talking stupid-quick, like 0-60 in 1.9 seconds. You have this wicked-fast car, but what about the other things, like tires, sway bars, brakes, rotors, etc. An easy HP gain will be riddled with many-other incidentals.

I am not doubting the strength of the GT transmission (you can run serious HP on the AODE transmissions, for example, like on my '91 MGM). What about other things? What about stopping distance on the stock rotors and calipers on the GT when you are running 100MPH? Those would be the items I would focus-in on. Like I said, I do not believe an Alpine sticker adds HP, either...

Looks like the ROUSH kit for the GT is $6.8K? You then put how many hours in? If you went to a local shop, any idea what the shop would charge? If we buy new and go your route, what about warranty? What does MOPAR think? What happens when at 20k miles, your UCONNECT touchscreen dies?

Not disagreeing about the GT being a great coupe. I am disagreeing about the numbers with "less tire pressure," MSRP, etc.

Ford builds quality cars. In the 80s, all the criticism was on GM and MOPAR. You never hear anyone gripe about Ford quality. My 30+ year old MGM and F-150 will be around for many years to come. Ford no longer makes the CV/MGM/LTC/MM, so what are the Charger-like options?

Do you know how much HP we would be at with a Supercharged 6.4L?

·
Registered
2021 Charger Scat Pack
86 Posts
What about other things? What about stopping distance on the stock rotors and calipers on the GT when you are running 100MPH? Those would be the items I would focus-in on.
Again, a GT PP (especially Lvl. 2) and a Camaro SS (especially 1LE) will out-handle and out-brake a Scat Pack. Being 600+ lb lighter and having better stock tires helps…a lot. In fact, both will even destroy a Hellcat around a race track which is a perfect test of braking and handling. See the C&D Lightning Lap records where both beat a Hellcat WB by 5-6 seconds around VIR. This is as close to apples to apples as you’ll get because the times are all set by professional drivers around the same track in similar conditions. None of this is shocking. Nobody buys a Mopar for road course performance, but that’s not to say they don’t handle and brake damn good for the street.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Again, a GT PP (especially Lvl. 2) and a Camaro SS (especially 1LE) will out-handle and out-brake a Scat Pack. Being 600+ lb lighter and having better stock tires helps…a lot. In fact, both will even destroy a Hellcat around a race track which is a perfect test of braking and handling. See the C&D Lightning Lap records where both beat a Hellcat WB by 5-6 seconds around VIR. This is as close to apples to apples as you’ll get because the times are all set by professional drivers around the same track in similar conditions. None of this is shocking. Nobody buys a Mopar for road course performance, but that’s not to say they don’t handle and brake damn good for the street.

I am not denying what is written, I am denying conditions.

You are saying MOPAR, no track; but on road, a magical unicorn takes control of the car, delivering results never before seen?

You are saying, both GM and Ford purposefully under-sell vehicles?

Center ain't holding...

·
Registered
2021 Charger Scat Pack
86 Posts
Wat? I don’t get what you’re arguing…
In identical conditions with a pro driver, a GT/SS will out perform a Scat on the track or on the street. All day. What a ‘unicorn’ can do is down to the skill of said ‘unicorn’ and how they connect with the car. Having said that, I’ve spent significant time in all three and think the Camaro is the easiest to drive fast.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Wat? I don’t get what you’re arguing…
In identical conditions with a pro driver, a GT/SS will out perform a Scat on the track or on the street. All day. What a ‘unicorn’ can do is down to the skill of said ‘unicorn’ and how they connect with the car. Having said that, I’ve spent significant time in all three and think the Camaro is the easiest to drive fast.
You are saying, on an open freeway, the Camaro and Stang both outperform a SCAT?

I do not drive on a concours track nor can I open 'er up +100 on the routine?

I've spent time in all three - what you are saying ain't holding...

IIRC, none of us are "pro drivers"...

Unsure why pro drivers matter with an automatic?

I am not a pro - neither are the C&D reviewers :)

However, I know enough to know when one is faster than other. $h*t ain't holding..

Course, I did not drop the tire pressure 10lbs and gain 100HP....

·
Registered
2021 Charger Scat Pack
86 Posts
You are saying, on an open freeway, the Camaro and Stang both outperform a SCAT?

I do not drive on a concours track nor can I open 'er up +100 on the routine?

I've spent time in all three - what you are saying ain't holding...

IIRC, none of us are "pro drivers"...

Unsure why pro drivers matter with an automatic?

I am not a pro - neither are the C&D reviewers :)

However, I know enough to know when one is faster than other. $h*t ain't holding..

Course, I did not drop the tire pressure 10lbs and gain 100HP....
You asked which performs better. I present you with objective data, and you say you don’t agree with it. I can do nothing for you there, friend. I hope you find what you’re looking for.

Btw, C&D absolutely employs professional race car drivers for those lap times. It’s kind of standard practice. Also, what does a car being an automatic have to do with a pro driver? Not sure why any of this matters. Like I said before it’s splitting hairs.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You asked which performs better. I present you with objective data, and you say you don’t agree with it. I can do nothing for you there, friend. I hope you find what you’re looking for.

Btw, C&D absolutely employs professional race car drivers for those lap times. It’s kind of standard practice. Also, what does a car being an automatic have to do with a pro driver? Not sure why any of this matters. Like I said before it’s splitting hairs.
You are not going to convince my driving experience...

·
Registered
800 Posts

You are wasting your time. You can present objective data to him, but he firmly believes what he wants to believe. He dismissed the number from C&D and Hot Rod magazine earlier in the thread with his hands over his ears going, "LA, LA, LA, LA, LA"

What he is looking for is an echo chamber, where he will only listen to people with the exact same opinion as his.

The Scat is a great car. Roomy, comfortable and 485hp. But with its weight it will never beat a 455-460hp car that weighs 600lbs less and has better gearing.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
All things being equal, from everything I've seen and read, in a straight line an A10 Mustang GT will spank any 392. Stock vs stock.

·
Premium Member
2021 Dodge Charger Scat Pack Daytona in F8 Green.
114 Posts
There's been a lot of weird comments on this thread lol. I have to say the Bronco is awesome. I've been in them and ridden in them. I'm a Jeep owner and if I were buying new today, it would be the Bronco out of sheer comfort inside. Of course that's a personal opinion and what works for me, but it's not at all what people are claiming it is. The biggest issue was how Ford botched the entire roll-out. They were no where near ready to produce it and people waited almost two years to get their orders filled.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the mustang gt the cross-shop for the scat pack? It's the same basic power range, especially when figuring power to weight ratios.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts