Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 2012 Dodge charger RT and I am needing some help with my mufflers. I know I want to get a resonator delete done and change out the mufflers but I am confused on what kind of muffler I want to get. I was thinking about getting a Borla or Magmaflow mufflers but my question is when buying a muffler do I want to get one that has a 2.50" inlet/outlet and is offset on both sides? Kinda like this one
or am I missing something? Eventually I will get a Cat-back exhaust but this is just temporary until I can save up enough money to get a Cat-back that I want. Also one of the reasons why I'm doing this is to bring out the sound more and to free up the exhaust a bit to help it breath better. Any information will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Best thing to do is to cruise youtube. There are tons of people who have modified their exhaust so you can get a taste of what you are getting into. You should be able to find any kind of muffler in that size and spec. Are you wanting a straight through muffler?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have looked all over youtube and the only people there either have a cat-back exhaust or went to the muffler shop and had one put on without knowing any specs about it. All I need to know is if the stock mufflers are 2.50" inlet and outlets and if both inlet and outlets are offset. I already know what sound I want to go with also, I was looking into getting a Borla or Magmaflow. Also a majority of people on youtube have flowmaster exhausts which I am not a big fan of just because of the drone problem. And I am debating strongly between the straight through and chambered muffler. I want it to be loud but not so loud I'll wake up the whole neighborhood at 3k RPM's.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
if you're deleting the resonators, about the only muffler that won't drone would be the dynomax VT's.

you may want to try deleting the stock mufflers under the car, and keeping the stock resonators out back....

·
Registered
25 Posts
From what I read, why not replace mid mufflers with straight pipes. Keep everything else.

This seems like the first step most take and are happy with good results. This also has no drone (from looking at many youtube videos myself and also searching threads here on the forum).

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been told the resonators reduce the sound 70% more than the mufflers which is why the resonators will be removed. My personal preference is I want my car with a little more growl than usual. I don't want it to sound like straight pipe all the way down but pretty damn close lol. Michiganpat I've heard of the dynomax's but are they as good as people claim they are? I'm not trying to sound mean or anything and I appreciate all of the help and information! =)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I've been told the resonators reduce the sound 70% more than the mufflers which is why the resonators will be removed. My personal preference is I want my car with a little more growl than usual. I don't want it to sound like straight pipe all the way down but pretty damn close lol. Michiganpat I've heard of the dynomax's but are they as good as people claim they are? I'm not trying to sound mean or anything and I appreciate all of the help and information! =)
never heard them personally, but they're constructed like the dynomax ultraflows (straight through) with a weighted/spring loaded valve to restrict/vary the output cross section depending on flow.

anything that deletes the resonators is most likely going to drone at cruise without something like this, or the Solo's J-pipes. it's a function of exhaust pulse frequency, velocity, and pipe length. think a pipe organ in a church-- the longer the pipe, the lower the resonant frequency. I'm actually suprised most cat backs don't put the mufflers where the OEM resonators are. that would most likely minimize resonance--short tailpipes would move the resonant frequency out of the cruise RPM range.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How bad would the drone be on a cruise though due to the cylinder deactivation to go into eco mode? What about just cutting off the resonators and leaving the stock mufflers on it?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I called my muffler guy and asked him about doing just a resonator delete and he sounded concerned about it. He said it would be hard to bend the tube like that and he may not be able to salvage the stock tips off of the resonator since they seem to be connected. =(

·
Registered
25 Posts
How bad would the drone be on a cruise though due to the cylinder deactivation to go into eco mode? What about just cutting off the resonators and leaving the stock mufflers on it?

I believe on this car its different then others.

If you remove the resonators its actually louder and more drone then replacing the MID Mufflers.

If you remove the mid mufflers with straight pipes (i know the usual though.... Straight pipes omg its going to be blasting loud and drone). But removing the mid mufflers on the charger increase sound an OK amount and doesn't cause drone even in ECO mode... again this is from all that I read on youtube and pages 1-6 here that asked a lot of the same.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone in here have any information on how bad the drone was when they ONLY had the resonators removed? If it is like banging your head against a brick wall I could understand but if it makes the inside purr a little I wouldn't mind as much. I've owned a few cars in the past and my Charger is defiantly the highest rated car I've EVER drove that had sound denseness on the inside cab. I honestly feel like I could park by a construction worker using a jackhammer and barely hear it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't see what people have against drone. If they want exhaust other than factory you can bet I would want to hear it. More of a personal mod than a let the world hear with out me mod. 2fast4u you could try un bolting the resonators and bolting up some pipe that has been bent and test it out. If you don't like it just bolt the resonators back in. Just an idea. All my recent vehicles have had drone, and I love it. The loudest being my truck.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I don't see what people have against drone. If they want exhaust other than factory you can bet I would want to hear it. More of a personal mod than a let the world hear with out me mod. 2fast4u you could try un bolting the resonators and bolting up some pipe that has been bent and test it out. If you don't like it just bolt the resonators back in. Just an idea. All my recent vehicles have had drone, and I love it. The loudest being my truck.
take a 3 hour trip in a car where there's a 10-20db spike right at the RPM that you typically run at on the highway. you'll be begging for someone to rip your eardrums out....

the stock resonators don't just unbolt....

that said, I think you'd be happier with a mid muffler delete than a resonator delete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ4FL7TmO3w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGHCSWzL8hI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBs-Sdt8tXE

·
Registered
25 Posts
take a 3 hour trip in a car where there's a 10-20db spike right at the RPM that you typically run at on the highway. you'll be begging for someone to rip your eardrums out....

the stock resonators don't just unbolt....

that said, I think you'd be happier with a mid muffler delete than a resonator delete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ4FL7TmO3w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGHCSWzL8hI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBs-Sdt8tXE
Hence my thinking above... Seems like mid muffler delete with straight pipes is a solution. More sound, cheap, and no drone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My experience thus far...

I currently have what's called the "suitcase delete" on my R/T. These are the mufflers located in front of the rear axle that are attached to each other with a handle-like bar, hence the nickname, "suitcase" :wink3:. The offset inlets and outlets are 2-1/4 inch. The muffler bodies are 4x9x17 inch ovals. They have a straight thru flow. Prior the this, I tried the resonator delete leaving the mufflers on. The sound was quite a bit louder with a lot of drone between 65 and 80. I've been told this drone can be alleviated by moving the mufflers further back closer to the rear axle. I didn't try that because I didn't like the sound of the mufflers anyway.

Now on the flip side, resonators only like I have now are not quite as loud, but still better than stock. Inside the car, drone is negligible, but you do hear it go in and out of 4 cylinder mode on the highway. It can get irritating and I do a lot of highway driving. Thank goodness for that awesome Beats system! Under full throttle, that Hemi sounds pretty awesome inside the car. Outside the car it sounds like crap. The sound is too Mopar, if you know what I mean. It is really raspy.

I'm going to a reputable muffler shop this Saturday that has done a lot of Chargers. They recommend Magnaflow 4x9x14 or 4x9x18 (the 18s would be quieter) oval mufflers with the resonator delete. They tell me the Magnaflows have a really good rumble with little drone versus the Flowmasters that drone like crazy and have no rumble. They are just plan loud out the back. I already knew all this myself from past experience. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
UPDATE: From Suitcase Delete to Reso Delete w/ Magnaflows

As promised, this is an update to my last post. I went to Seeburg Muffler in Kansas City yesterday. They installed a pair of Magnaflows P/N 11235 (4x9x14) where the suitcase mufflers used to be and replaced the resonators out back with 3-inch exhaust pipes. The installer took time to make sure these were centered within the factory exhaust tips and locked down tight. If the 3-inch pipe contacts the factory exhaust tip, the vibration is nasty!

After he was done, he fired it up in the garage and revved it a few times. WOW! Everybody was looking! Resonators only has nothing on those Magnaflows! There was another guy there waiting to get the same thing done to his '14 R/T. He asked me to get on it when I left so he could hear what it sounded like. He didn't need to ask! >:)

Anyway, I drove my R/T around all afternoon. Burned thru half a tank of gas and a couple thousand miles worth of tire rubber. The rumble is awesome! You can feel it, too! There is some drone around 65mph, but it's not there at 60 or 70. Feels more powerful, too! It grabs real good 2nd gear scratch in Sport Mode, if you snap off the shift right at 5,000rpm. Used to just bark the tires before.

The best part is it doesn't sound like an old tractor anymore when it bangs in and out of MDS. My son thinks my R/T now sounds just like those twin black chargers in Fast 5. We watched it back last night and I have to agree. I should've just passed on the original $70 suitcase delete and gone straight to this. Best $350 I ever spent!

·
Registered
23 Posts
As promised, this is an update to my last post. I went to Seeburg Muffler in Kansas City yesterday. They installed a pair of Magnaflows P/N 11235 (4x9x14) where the suitcase mufflers used to be and replaced the resonators out back with 3-inch exhaust pipes. The installer took time to make sure these were centered within the factory exhaust tips and locked down tight. If the 3-inch pipe contacts the factory exhaust tip, the vibration is nasty!

After he was done, he fired it up in the garage and revved it a few times. WOW! Everybody was looking! Resonators only has nothing on those Magnaflows! There was another guy there waiting to get the same thing done to his '14 R/T. He asked me to get on it when I left so he could hear what it sounded like. He didn't need to ask! >:)

Anyway, I drove my R/T around all afternoon. Burned thru half a tank of gas and a couple thousand miles worth of tire rubber. The rumble is awesome! You can feel it, too! There is some drone around 65mph, but it's not there at 60 or 70. Feels more powerful, too! It grabs real good 2nd gear scratch in Sport Mode, if you snap off the shift right at 5,000rpm. Used to just bark the tires before.

The best part is it doesn't sound like an old tractor anymore when it bangs in and out of MDS. My son thinks my R/T now sounds just like those twin black chargers in Fast 5. We watched it back last night and I have to agree. I should've just passed on the original $70 suitcase delete and gone straight to this. Best $350 I ever spent!
Your new setup is exactly what I was thinking of doing. I liked the sound of the mid muffler delete but didn't like the loss of power/back pressure. How much louder is your new setup?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Your new setup is exactly what I was thinking of doing. I liked the sound of the mid muffler delete but didn't like the loss of power/back pressure. How much louder is your new setup?
You say this new setup is what you are thinking of doing, then you said you didnt like the loss of power. Did you do it or read that and think it will happen to you?

A little confused by your post.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did the mid muffler delete but miss the power I lost. I'm betting that putting magnaflows where the factory mufflers were will fix the lost back pressure and Ill pick up that low end again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts