Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day when I was having my winter tires mounted, I realized that I only had one muffler heat shield in place due to my stock factory set up.

Given that I'm planning to get it swapped out for the Pypes Street Pro set up next year, I was curious about the significance of the heat shield.

Does it serve any other purpose besides protecting the gas tank from excess heat?
What happens if the heat shield is removed and done away with?

I inquired about getting a secondary heat shield from the Dealership but the guy there was clueless and couldnt wait to get rid of me -_-

Wondering if anyone knows of a place where one can get to buy heat shields as I'd rather play it safe than be sorry :)

Appreciate the feedback!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
It is advisable to have one up there. If you have the part number, you can by it on-line. Other folks here have used foil lined self adhesive insulation mat with success also. If you do a little searching, you can find some of those threads (with pics).

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For anyone else who is curious - I checked in with another dealership and it seems that these heat shields come as part of the gas tank.

That means one would have to buy a whole new gas tank in order to get one with the dual heat shield setup (or salvage one).

Bummer.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I guess you can stop looking now, Powerman. It's been, what, six years?
Sigh...all my efforts have been in vain!

Lol...thanks Darksider - I've since been using the SOLO exhaust without the heat shield on that one side.
Car hasn't blown up, yet!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts