Charger Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried to burn several MP3 CD's and have not had luck on something that would play in my Charger. I have the Nav package.

What is the best program for burning MP3? Am I right to assume that I could put about 233 songs on a 700GB CD - with average mp3 size of 3MB?.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
233 sounds a bit high. I think my one and only MP3 CD only took 170 songs that most were ripped at 128. I now rip everything at 192. Haven't tried playing an MP3 disk in the charger, enjoying satellite too much.

Which radio do you have?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the navigation package..6 disc - MP3..

What software do you use to burn CD's?

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Nero Express OEM. Did you finalize the disks? Have you tried the disk in another player known to play MP3's? Will your computer play the disks you burned {although that's not a very good test}. I know my 6disk changer plays my one and only MP3 disk...although it wasn't happy with the disk, the reflective material had actually separated from the parent material and created a long bubble.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got my car yesterday and it has the Navi in it. I made MP3 discs for it.
I used Nero Burning software. I had a few that didnt work before I read someplace on here to burn the disc as Disc at once instead of track at once. After that it worked fine. Another thing that I figured out was instead of putting a whole bunch of mp3s on there I could put the mp3s in folders then put the folders on there. For instance I am a fan of the band Korn. I ripped all the cds to the computer then burned the whole folders to the disc. Then I can pick which cd I listen to by scrolling through the folders.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I don't finalize my discs. I just add stuff to my discs as I find it, and they play perfectly. I'll have to check if I use track at once or not, but for it to be able to record multiple sessions and have my NAV unit still read the disk, I'm thinking your problem is elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts
I've tried to burn several MP3 CD's and have not had luck on something that would play in my Charger. I have the Nav package.

What is the best program for burning MP3? Am I right to assume that I could put about 233 songs on a 700GB CD - with average mp3 size of 3MB?.

Thanks
I've used many different programs, including Roxio and Nero. Never had any issues playing my MP3 CDs in any player, inlcuding my Charger. No matter what program you use it should work.

However, make sure you select "Make DATA CD" and not "Make MUSIC CD". It sounds counter-intuitive, but in reality, if you're burning MP3s, you're making a DATA CD. If you're burning a WAVE CD (The original CD format) then you're making a MUSIC CD.

Hope that helps.

-=FLEX=-

·
Registered
681 Posts
hmm

I've used many different programs, including Roxio and Nero. Never had any issues playing my MP3 CDs in any player, inlcuding my Charger. No matter what program you use it should work.

However, make sure you select "Make DATA CD" and not "Make MUSIC CD". It sounds counter-intuitive, but in reality, if you're burning MP3s, you're making a DATA CD. If you're burning a WAVE CD (The original CD format) then you're making a MUSIC CD.

Hope that helps.

-=FLEX=-
It depends what type of nero you are using. The one I have nero 6 has a simple menu then a more indepth one. If i do dixv i have to do data files, but when I do mp3's it's an option I can pick under music. I know the 6 disc with out nav wasn't able to play folders, but will play songs not in folders. Your still better off using wav files or 320kb mp3's. They will sound a lot better.

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts
It depends what type of nero you are using. The one I have nero 6 has a simple menu then a more indepth one. If i do dixv i have to do data files, but when I do mp3's it's an option I can pick under music. I know the 6 disc with out nav wasn't able to play folders, but will play songs not in folders. Your still better off using wav files or 320kb mp3's. They will sound a lot better.
Hmmmm. I don't normally create folders when I make MP3 CDs. That's weird that it won't play stuff in folders. I'll have to check that out. I'll never understand why stock car stereos are so freaking lame. I mean, for a couple hundred bucks I can get an aftermarket deck with WAY MORE FEATURES. The technology exists. Why don't auto makers utilize it??? It's been driving me nuts for 25 years!!!

-=FLEX=-

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hmmmm. I don't normally create folders when I make MP3 CDs. That's weird that it won't play stuff in folders. I'll have to check that out. I'll never understand why stock car stereos are so freaking lame. I mean, for a couple hundred bucks I can get an aftermarket deck with WAY MORE FEATURES. The technology exists. Why don't auto makers utilize it??? It's been driving me nuts for 25 years!!!

-=FLEX=-
I have Nero V7 and when you select Music, there is option to create MP3 CD. When the dialog box is open, you can drag and drop folders into it. I have the 6-disc changer and you can also select folders to change your selection. I have not had any problems playing any MP3 CDs that I have burned.

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts

Thanks
OK, I just checked the owner's manual. Check out pages 164-166. Only certain file types and bit rates are supported. You also need to ensure the file extention is ".MP3". There are also issues if you mix MP3 and WMA files on the same CD. I suggest you read these 3 pages and see if there is something in there that helps you out.

-=FLEX=-

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts
I know the 6 disc with out nav wasn't able to play folders, but will play songs not in folders.
The owner's manual (page 165) says the system supports up to 100 folders.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all.. Burning with Media Player as Data CD did the trick. Now, minor gripe.. Sure wish they had DVD support..

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
If you have WIndows XP, that's fine..just use that, as it has a program built-in.....that's all I use. I put over 500MB worth of MP3's on a disc and everything works perfectly with the radio.

- Mark

·
Registered
681 Posts
The owner's manual (page 165) says the system supports up to 100 folders.
I musta done somethign wrong I know mine didn't work. The new alpine unit I have plays them fine it just won't play divx oh well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts