Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, it been a long time since I have been on the forum and posted. Work has been crazy. Well, my job is transferring me to Wilmington, DE. The want me to move by the end of the year! I need so opinions and thoughts from my future DE charger friends.

1. I need to know of some good places to live in the Wilmington area? I have done some research on homefair.com and have spoken with fellow co-workers but want your input as well. We are currently looking to rent for the first year and then look into purchasing a home.

2. This is pretty much tied in with (1.) but are there are any good private Catholic schools in the area for son who is in second grade?

3. This does necessarily apply to Wilmington folks, but can some recommend a good mover and auto mover? Yes, you heard it right, and auto mover. I am going to ship my baby cross country.:( Though decision, I really want to drive her but logistically it makes more sense to use my wifes SUV.

Well that is it for the time being but I am sure I will find more to ask. I look forward to meeting my new Wilmington area charger friends once I get settled in:) . Thanks in advance for you help and insight.

Pat

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Hey guys, it been a long time since I have been on the forum and posted. Work has been crazy. Well, my job is transferring me to Wilmington, DE. The want me to move by the end of the year! I need so opinions and thoughts from my future DE charger friends.

1. I need to know of some good places to live in the Wilmington area? I have done some research on homefair.com and have spoken with fellow co-workers but want your input as well. We are currently looking to rent for the first year and then look into purchasing a home.

2. This is pretty much tied in with (1.) but are there are any good private Catholic schools in the area for son who is in second grade?

3. This does necessarily apply to Wilmington folks, but can some recommend a good mover and auto mover? Yes, you heard it right, and auto mover. I am going to ship my baby cross country.:( Though decision, I really want to drive her but logistically it makes more sense to use my wifes SUV.

Well that is it for the time being but I am sure I will find more to ask. I look forward to meeting my new Wilmington area charger friends once I get settled in:) . Thanks in advance for you help and insight.

Pat

I work in Wilmington and live 35 miles south in Townsend. You get a lot more for your money the further south in Delaware. Generally speaking, anything "below the canal" (you'll most people refer to Delaware as above or below the canal) is a lot cheaper. Case in point - my same house with land 25 miles North is 100k more.

I'm not sure if you really want to live in the city. There isn't too much going on in the city at night or on the weekends besides crime. It's not like Philadelphia or Baltimore where you actually have businesses that stay open after hours. 90% of the people that work in the city don't live there.

As far as renting goes, there are some good rental areas around. Are you looking for apartments/townhouse, etc?

I'd be happy to research areas, take pictures, etc. I'm in Wilmington every day.

I'm on the Riverfront, where in town will you be? They are doing a lot of construction in the city so the roads aren't the best right now. Luckily I have a garage to park in that is designed pretty well and I don't get door dings.

I have no advice for you on school districts. I don't have kids.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How long is your commute to Townsend? Anything is better then CA. I currently live 35 miles from work and it takes me 1 1/2 hours each way. I am not looking to live in the city and I agree with you there is not much there. Frankly, I am looking forward to much more open areas anyway. We would prefer a townhouse but are open to looking at apartments. I will be at One Rodney Square. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
I just sent you a pm, but Rodney Square is nice during the day..........but after the suns down make your way for the hills lol. Its not that bad but you get the point.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I noticed that when I was out there a few years back working from that office. Somewhat scary at night. I was working long hours and had to cross the square to get to the hotel. Thankfully the hotel was really nice and we always went as a group.

Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Well, I moved to Delaware last year from San Antonio. Wilmington, Newark, New Castle, all the same really...they are so close to each other. I live in New Castle City, and about 10 minutes to downtown Wilmington....so, broaden your search.....

I know there are nice apartments at Rodney Square, but can be expensive. No reason to live in Wilmington to pay higher rent.

My apartment complex is brand new, and I love it. Really nice, no crime. And again, about 10-15 minutes from downtown Wilmington. Of course, I-95 is a cluster F*, but you can take local roads to the city from where I live.

My company used DAS (Dependable Auto Shippers) and my car arrived 110%. Can't beat the service....I did not have my Charger then...I had a 2005 Thunderbird Convertible.

PM me if you want to know my apartment complex name.

- Mark

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PM Sent.

Good to know about Dependable Auto Shippers. I did get a quote from them. Did you do door to door or terminal to terminal?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Also consider Chester County, PA, where I live. I live in West Chester, and worked in New Castle (at Citibank Delaware) which was a 23 mile commute. PA does have some tax issues, though.:confused:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hey Pat, I live in the Wilmington Pike Creek area, nice neighborhood, there is St Johns down the road which my wife (a Delaware native) said is a really good catholic school. We send our kids to the local public school ourselves but there are pro's and cons for both. What you are going to love about Delaware is what you get for your money, hew wee. i move here from NY and man it was like getting a double raise. my Aunt lives in San Jose and WOW the house are crazy expensive there! What you will not like, everything closes early, and Sunday's car dealerships are not open (maybe that's just my pet peeve).The housing market is certainly softening up so you should be able to get a good price on a house say 250's for a 4 bedroom!! If you have any other questions feel free to drop me a line!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
PM Sent.

Good to know about Dependable Auto Shippers. I did get a quote from them. Did you do door to door or terminal to terminal?
Well, my employer was paying the entire tab, so it was door to door. That is obviously more expensive than terminal to terminal....but, the terminal is in NJ I believe, not to far.

If I was paying the tab, I would not have gone door to door..to much coin.

- Mark

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it looks like we will be moving into the area on 12/1. We found a place in Hockessin and we are looking forward to arriving. Hope to meet you guys soon after we get settled in. Oh, and thanks for your help it was greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Well it looks like we will be moving into the area on 12/1. We found a place in Hockessin and we are looking forward to arriving. Hope to meet you guys soon after we get settled in. Oh, and thanks for your help it was greatly appreciated.
Nice.

I hope the move goes well for you. Once you get settled in we'll have to plan another M&G around here.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ursuline Academy is coed until 3rd grade. I went there and I ended up normal.... relatively. I'm kinda twisted, but that's because of a bunch of other things.... I don't think the Catholics did it...

I went to St. Edmonds Academy after that from 4th-8th. St. Eds was a great school, and I actually think they're acceping younger grades (to include 2nd). It's an all boys school, but it was a great place.

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
Ursuline Academy is coed until 3rd grade. I went there and I ended up normal.... relatively. I'm kinda twisted, but that's because of a bunch of other things.... I don't think the Catholics did it...

I went to St. Edmonds Academy after that from 4th-8th. St. Eds was a great school, and I actually think they're acceping younger grades (to include 2nd). It's an all boys school, but it was a great place.
NOOOO!!!!!! bad idea go st.johns trust me i went there n now im a senior at tatnall...were i have a 3.569 GPA...trust me St.Johns is a AWSOME prep school.....check back for high school......tatnall u can buy a new charger lol($36,750 a year:knockout:)lol

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
NOOOO!!!!!! bad idea go st.johns trust me i went there n now im a senior at tatnall...were i have a 3.569 GPA...trust me St.Johns is a AWSOME prep school.....check back for high school......tatnall u can buy a new charger lol($36,750 a year:knockout:)lol
You're a senior at Tatnall and have a Charger that well equipped? Damn!
I'm very jealous. Keep up the good work and the good GPA!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Racer X and all other Delaware Charger Owners,

if you ever feel like a drive to Hampton Roads, VA look us up (C-4 Custom Charger Car Club). We are mostly located from VA Beach to Williamsburg. We are just really getting up and running and have a sub-Chapter in CA. We have our own thread just up a couple of lines from the Region Section. I drive through Delaware a few times a year and would love to meet up with other charger owners (i am stuck in Korea right now).

My White Charger,
were you the one that drove to Fredericksburg for the car show last summer?

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Racer X and all other Delaware Charger Owners,

if you ever feel like a drive to Hampton Roads, VA look us up (C-4 Custom Charger Car Club). We are mostly located from VA Beach to Williamsburg. We are just really getting up and running and have a sub-Chapter in CA. We have our own thread just up a couple of lines from the Region Section. I drive through Delaware a few times a year and would love to meet up with other charger owners (i am stuck in Korea right now).

My White Charger,
were you the one that drove to Fredericksburg for the car show last summer?
At the McClane (sp?) show? Yep, that was me :)

I plan on coming back down there for the next M&G, I had a blast last time. Hopefully a lot of you guys will be able to make it up this way for Carlisle.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Welcome, if applicable....

Racer X,

Welcome to the area if you have now relocated. Hockessin is a very wise choice for real estate. Great move. After the snow, we'll all have to meet up again at Lums Pond or somewhere else....

Best of Luck!

Hey, as a little FYI, if the wife and you are looking for somewhere "quaint" for a "just you two" date, consider "Jessop's Tavern" down in Old New Castle. It is small inside, but pretty neat, and the food is great. It has a colonial feel to it, and I usually hate that kind of stuff....I recommend the Chicken Fricasse(sp?) along with the sweet potato french fries, and the crab dip....I'm not associated with the place or anything...just trying to be helpful.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts