Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mounted my Nuvi 680 in several location around my Charger. Best spot so far has been inside the ash tray. Since I do not use my ash tray, I removed the tray and mounted the suction cup inside. Fits perfectly. If I take the Nuvi out then I only have to close the ash tray. No holes, velcro, or rewiring necessary. Check out the video. I will hide the excess wire behind the Nuvi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xy3_4vrUJo

·
Registered
9,285 Posts
hhheeeyyyy, not a bad idea! I've had my Tom Tom mounted beside the rearview mirror, which works well but then you have the cord problem...

Def. gonna give this a try!
Thanks! :grin:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me know how it works for you...

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Nice install. I'm in the market for one also. I installed my sirius receiver in the sunglass holder so I need to find a different spot. I think where you have it will work well especially if you plan on moving it to a different car for a trip.

Is there anyway to hide those cords?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah...they will fit behind the unit. I didn't have time to hide them....had to catch the football game.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is a pic with the wires tucked behind the gps unit (disregard the dirty console---yikes).

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
I did this with my Garmin. In fact, I didn't even have to take out the ashtray; just place the suction cup right in front of it. Once the car is put in drive, the stick is out of the way of the Navi screen and it is ready to use. In park, the stick obstructs the screen, but it isn't an issue at all for me. (This is my 5th post to this site, so pics are coming real soon)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Only bad thing about that location is that you have to complety look off the road to look at it. I got the proclip and installed it next to the radio, I love it so far.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I picked up a Magellan Roadmate 3000T and a vent mount. I mounted it on the vent because I did not want to take my eyes off the road looking down or reach way up to the windshield. It does not block air comming out of the vent and actually helps keep the unit cool. The mount works really well and swivels side to side so my wife can turn it towards her to use it also. Sorry for the pic being so big.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
does anybody know of some good double sided tape I can put on the bottom of my suction cup mount so that I can place it upside down on the dash? (look at Bones' picture, it would but upside down on the lip to the upper left of Bones' GPS unit.

The stock adhesive wasn't strong enough. It seems like the vinyl dash won't allow any adhesive to stick to it

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
got it

turns out the double sided tape issue wasn't that bad. Just needed some foam "mounting" tape from any hardware store.

Anyways, here's my location of this thing (nevermind the fingerprints):

mounted plastic disk upside down for suction cup mount:

·
Registered
219 Posts
best place to mount a gps is the nearest to the eye view range when you are driving, at less you dont really need it and is just to show up. some times you will need to interact with it and you wont pull over all the time as gps instructions said right? so..keep it near your eyes and the road.
mine talk thanks a lot, so i dont have to put much attention on it, is a magellan. nice toy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I mounted my Tom Tom (until I get the AVIC-Z2) to the right of the rearview mirror. Works great for me, its just a little off my line of sight. Don't have to take eyes off of the road to check on it.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I disagree with the whole "in your line of sight" deal. I don't want some lcd screen in my way when I'm trying to look at the road. It's not like you need to stare at the gps screen every second as you're driving. You glance down to check your speed every once in awhile, so glancing down to check your gps is no different

to each his own I guess

·
Registered
764 Posts
I don't like the suction cup, nor any kind of adhesive to mount my Nuvi, also, we drive the wifes full size van for family trips, so I needed something that was more portable.
I use the bean bag with non-slip bottom, it works really well.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Garmin also makes a smooth disk with two-sided tape on one side that will stick anywhere.Then you just stick the suction cup to it.
But I will never stick anything to my dash:cry:
BTW I have the 680 also and that location is very clean looking.
I don't like the "in the line of sight" technique because the screen light is distracting awhile driving at night.JMO

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.