Charger Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I've searched around forum but wasn't finding a thread like this. I sure I missed it, so I apologize in advance.

I wanted to poll the group, and see if there was a general consensus on "common" mods and upgrades.

Are they're well known short comings or weak links that should be addressed before all others?

Understanding what type of driver we are making the suggestions for is key. So let’s start by assuming our driver wouldn't be going to the track. Rather the aim the suggestion for shall we say a "spirited" driver... :driving:
I'm sure we all enjoy a winding road. While at the same time, wanting to do the muscle car heritage proud by improving our launch and passing performance.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Common mods

First of all. Don't assume these cars won't be taken to the track. Why would you want to have a lot of HP, if you didn't? Since you're talking performance mods. Most people would say a different exhaust. But they don't seem to help much. One of the best bangs for your buck, IMHO, is a Trinity Tuner, perhaps with a CAI. One of our vendors sells the works for under $700.00. Again, this is just my opinion......

·
Registered
124 Posts
Getrag 3.91 setup, Diablosport Trinity, and Solo or Zoomers exhaust. Will make the car sound great and put it close to a stock 06-10 SRT8 in terms of 0-60 and 1/4 mile.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
822 Posts
The 3.91's are a great addition for moving that car quicker in the low speeds so if you are looking for off the line and passing performance gears are a great add in any ride.

However, there is another edge to that sword. You will lose easily 2-3 MPG in fuel economy for that gain up at 65+ MPH.

There isn't all that much room in these cars anymore for bolt ons. They are coming so highly efficient from the factory now that intake and exhausts don't really do much. The place you will get the best bang for the buck is the forced induction world. That will add lots of power and open you up to programming tweaks too.

You could also go the cam route but then you are really digging into the motor. So not really sure how crazy we are talking in your original post.

·
Registered
124 Posts
mblock66 is spot on
I have a 2012 Charger R2T2 w/ STP and my performance plans are...
1. Solo Performance Exhaust (already installed and I love it, get an exhaust that fits your desired sound requirement, don't worry about performance numbers).
2. 3.91 Getrag setup (sitting in my garage, going on Monday)
3. Diablosport Trinity + 180 thermostat (91 octane tune and t-stat will get installed after the gears but both parts are in my garage)
4. FTI 3200 or 3600 stall torque converter (maybe next year)
5. NO CAI, the stock air induction system is already great and is the same set up used on the 392 SRT8 so it should flow more than enough for the 5.7. It also draws cold air form the fender area.

The 3.91 gears and 3200/3600 stall converter will kill my gas mileage but I only drive ~23 miles round trip to work 5 days a week so I am not too worried if my mileage goes down from 18 to 15mpg.

On these VVT motors I wouldn't touch the heads, cam, or intake. The mods listed above plus a supercharger are about the only performance mods that don't require an engine tear down. They should get the car into the high 12s. There is a guy with a 2011 AWD R/T running 12.6s with 3.73s, 3600 stall, drag radials, and full exhaust (including headers).

·
Registered
441 Posts
My most recommended upgrades and mods listed in my signature below.

·
Vendor
10,315 Posts
ACES IV in the gasoline to produce more power and protect the upper cylinders. More torque while producing more fuel economy.

QuantumBlue Lubricants for engine, transmission, differential and steering system.

QuantumBlue HP Gold Coolant to evacuate more heat.

Our 6.1L picked up 25 hp and 38 ftlbs of torque at Akron Horsepower by going front to back. :bigthumb:

Simple to do and palpable.:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
First of all. Don't assume these cars won't be taken to the track. Why would you want to have a lot of HP, if you didn't?

Again, this is just my opinion......
Why would you assume that they would be taken to the track?

Wanting a lot of horsepower and wanting to take it to the track are independent desires. When was the last time you saw a Mercedes AMG at the track? Or Jaguar XKR? or a Porsche Turbo Carrerra?

The OP asked for opinions based on "assuming our driver wouldn't be going to the track. Rather the aim the suggestion for shall we say a "spirited" driver... "

Why not answer the question as asked instead of deciding the question wasn't correct?

To answer the OP, I would suggest the DS tuner, improved suspension components (such as the Pedders kits), Aces IV, CAI and possibly a catback exhaust to get a few more ponies of of it (if that's what you desire).

Most "spirited" driving fun is more about the handling and engine/drivetrain smoothness than the acceleration. ;)

·
Registered
872 Posts
Why would you assume that they would be taken to the track?

Wanting a lot of horsepower and wanting to take it to the track are independent desires. When was the last time you saw a Mercedes AMG at the track? Or Jaguar XKR? or a Porsche Turbo Carrerra?

The OP asked for opinions based on "assuming our driver wouldn't be going to the track. Rather the aim the suggestion for shall we say a "spirited" driver... "

Why not answer the question as asked instead of deciding the question wasn't correct?

To answer the OP, I would suggest the DS tuner, improved suspension components (such as the Pedders kits), Aces IV, CAI and possibly a catback exhaust to get a few more ponies of of it (if that's what you desire).

Most "spirited" driving fun is more about the handling and engine/drivetrain smoothness than the acceleration. ;)
And we have a winner.

Perfect response.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Agree with the above posts on tune. CAI is great on the new R/T's unless you need the extra sound and the exhaust will not give much more hp. It is what Dodge calls a "performance exhaust", and after looking under the car this weekend, I do not see bends that are crimped and the whole exhaust looks smooth on the outside. But like the CAI sound and not hp gains come to play.

I was going to go the 3.92 gear route but plan to put on 3.55 gears when they start making them for our cars again at the end of the year. (Richmond Gears was bought out and the new gears will start selling at the end of the year) Going from a 3.06 to a 3.55 ratio will not increase the rpms that much but will still give you that seat of the pants feel when you tap the pedal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts