Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've added some gradients in a few places on the site to make it look a little bit better.

Anyone have any suggestions/features they'd like to see added here? Let me know, thx.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
ekool said:
We've added some gradients in a few places on the site to make it look a little bit better.

Anyone have any suggestions/features they'd like to see added here? Let me know, thx.

I have some suggestions, but depends... do you want it easier for members to find things, or easier for mods to keep organized? As the two dont go hand in hand....

·
Registered
153 Posts
ekool:

One suggestion I have is to please find a way to restrict the length of peoples' signatures. I don't mind a few lines, or a *small* picture of someone's car, but some people are putting in really big pictures of HEMI engines and stuff that really clutters up the threads. I've also seen people making their post text all big and orange, which is distracting and ugly. Maybe I'm the only person who's bothered by this, but you asked for suggestions, and that's mine. Otherwise, these forums have been great.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
tonycpsu said:
ekool:

One suggestion I have is to please find a way to restrict the length of peoples' signatures. I don't mind a few lines, or a *small* picture of someone's car, but some people are putting in really big pictures of HEMI engines and stuff that really clutters up the threads. I've also seen people making their post text all big and orange, which is distracting and ugly. Maybe I'm the only person who's bothered by this, but you asked for suggestions, and that's mine. Otherwise, these forums have been great.
I could not agree more, tonycpsu. A signature should be one line of text, and no images. Avatars can stay, so long as they're all the same size. The images and crap are just so distracting.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
epoch said:
I could not agree more, tonycpsu. A signature should be one line of text, and no images. Avatars can stay, so long as they're all the same size. The images and crap are just so distracting.
Oh...and I'm sure it's possible, ekool. If you need help, let me know...

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The signature thing is very difficult to police. There is no automatic system. You can limit the number of characters, but that in itself doesnt really mean a signature is long. For example, a URL link can take up 150 chars or more, and show up as 3 characters on the screen.

As far as image size, the only way to police that is to tell people to remove them when we see them.

I will turn off the font size function and that will keep people from using large fonts. Thats the best I can do right now.

BTW, HE HATE ME

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'd like to see a further breakdown of the forums

-Performance Mods Forum

-SRT8 Specific Forum

·
Registered
630 Posts
6.1L said:
I'd like to see a further breakdown of the forums

-Performance Mods Forum

-SRT8 Specific Forum
A Road & Track Specific Forum.

(Was going to say a Daytona Specific Forum, but those folks with R&T would left out when they have the same basic hardware upgrades.)

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I would like to see things broken down into
exterior mods:
interior mods:
performance mods:
Audio/Video mods:
etc etc etc

also a section split up into regions would be cool as well... for posting about gtg's and such...

National and Multi - Regional Meets
This is the place for planning, promoting and celebrating the big cross regional meets

Region I - Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Appalachia
Information and discussion on meets and cruises in Connecticut, Delaware, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, Washington D.C., and West Virginia.

Region II - Southeast & Caribbean
Information and discussion on meets and cruises in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee and US Virgin Islands.

Region III - Midwest and Great Lakes
Information and discussion on meets and cruises in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Region IV - South Central
Information and discussion on meets and cruises in Arkansas, Colorado, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas.

Region V - Pacific Northwest and West
Information and discussion on meets and cruises in Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon Utah, Washington and Wyoming.

Region VI - Far North and Canada
Information and discussion on meets and cruises in Alaska and Canada.

just some thoughts.... :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
From experience moderating other forums, breaking things into too many sub-forums can cause things to go downhill quickly. People will only visit a few forums, rather than seeing more threads that they might comment on if they saw them. I agree that when forums get too crowded it's a good thing to divide them into discussion areas, but I don't think things are that crowded yet. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
tonycpsu said:
From experience moderating other forums, breaking things into too many sub-forums can cause things to go downhill quickly. People will only visit a few forums, rather than seeing more threads that they might comment on if they saw them. I agree that when forums get too crowded it's a good thing to divide them into discussion areas, but I don't think things are that crowded yet. Just my $0.02.

True, but if I am looking for things people are doing inside the car, I dont want to have to look through 200 threads about lowering on 22's

Splitting it up plays hell on the moderators, as people need to figure out where they should post thier info, and a moderator will end up having to move the thread...

However... as someone who uses forums, as well as been a moderator... splitting them up makes it ALOT easier to find what you need..

I have found that those who are used to alot of sub-forums like the setup, and those who have never been on a forum with it, dont see a point...
(I am currently a memeber of about 15 vehicle related forums, the ones that are not split up, I give up using because I can never find what I want in all the mess, and I have never seen a forum that went down-hill due to this)

Lets say you wanted to look for posts about wheels.... would it be easier to just go to a section for wheels to look for info, or go to a general disccusion and go through 15 pages trying to find something about wheels.

A new buyers section, for people with questions about the car who are getting ready to buy works well... as it can become a database, and others will see that sub-section, and can just spend time reading that forums to gain info, and will stop some multiple posts (no matter how things are setup you will always get multiple threads on he same thing)

I can provide some links to forums that are set-up like I described above, if you would like to see how it is laid out and see how much easier it is to navigate and find info.

I realize that this is a small site... however it is on a moderator easier to split it up now, then to go through a years worth of posts to figure out what goes where...(spend a few hours now, or a few months later)

Anyway, outside of asking for links, I am done posting in this thread, as it is for suggestions, not debating..... the end result of how the forum is setup will be the choice of the admins, and moderators. We are just giving them ideas...

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the site could use a few sections and as we get bigger, probably even more. The following is what I'm thinking, as was suggested:

Performance Mods section
Interior Mods section
External Mods section
SRT-8 Section

Regional sections (pretty general regions)

·
Registered
127 Posts
i think the above would be a great way to split up the forum

it would be easier to navigate and read

instead of sifting through misc. threads

just my opinion :) :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts