474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sept issue of Motor Trend tested the Magnum SRT-8...very good numbers;

0-60 in 5.1 sec
1/4 mile in 13.1 @ 108.2mph
60-0 in 112ft
slalom 67.1mph
lateral g's .90g

They were running it against the Mercedes Benz E55 AMG wagon. Very interesting discrepancies between the transmissions in the two vehicles, which are the same transmissions except for programming (that's a rant I went off on over at SRTforums). The Magnum held it's own I believe. But what's most important is I think this bodes very well for how the Charger SRT-8 will do. I don't think that 0-60 in 4.9 sec and the 1/4 mile in 12.9 sec is out of the question at all.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More interesting tidbits from same article.

A couple more very interesting points that I read in the same Motor Trend article.

First, is this;
"A technicality in the EPA's vehicle classification rules allow Dodge to call the Magnum a 'truck,' dodging fuel efficiency rules for cars and side stepping a gas guzzler tax..."

Does anybody know if this is true? Is the first I've heard of it getting around the gas guzzler tax.

Second thing was them talking about comparing dyno test data of the original 426 HEMI and the current 6.1 HEMI. An SRT engineer showed Motor Trend a dyno run from a 1966 426 HEMI. It used the "SAE J606 standard." The results? 467.3hp @ 6000rpm. "and still climbing" according to MT. The SRT engineers took the new 6.1 HEMI and dyno'd it using the same J606 rules. The results? 467hp @ 6000rpm :yes:

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Re: More interesting tidbits from same article.

Big Country said:
A couple more very interesting points that I read in the same Motor Trend article.

First, is this;
"A technicality in the EPA's vehicle classification rules allow Dodge to call the Magnum a 'truck,' dodging fuel efficiency rules for cars and side stepping a gas guzzler tax..."

Does anybody know if this is true? Is the first I've heard of it getting around the gas guzzler tax.

Second thing was them talking about comparing dyno test data of the original 426 HEMI and the current 6.1 HEMI. An SRT engineer showed Motor Trend a dyno run from a 1966 426 HEMI. It used the "SAE J606 standard." The results? 467.3hp @ 6000rpm. "and still climbing" according to MT. The SRT engineers took the new 6.1 HEMI and dyno'd it using the same J606 rules. The results? 467hp @ 6000rpm :yes:
To quote Wayne Campbell..."SHHHWING"!! :twisted:

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Chris, yep, so far, it looks like the Mag "Dodged" that particular bullet. It's becuase of the SUV'like enclosed cargo area behind the seats. Evidently, that's enough.

Alley, I would expect right around 2.0 or so, remember that this puppy wears 245 F1 Supercar tires. While not optimized for dragging, still not bad.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's as good as a rebate on that type of car...lol. And will more than likely make it the cheapest SRT-8 of the bunch after you factor in the gas guzzler tax for the upcoming Charger SRT-8.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Magnum should be cheaper by about 1K, if our suspiscion of the Charger SRT-8 being 1K cheaper by sticker is correct.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts