Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Forums are slowing down so its time for me to step up to the plate again. As i was reading the charger specs that GLH posted the question pop in my head: Is the SRT worth it? of course my answer was yes but which model do you all think is the better buy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
474 Posts
That's gonna be an answer that can only be answered by opinion...lol. If they bring the SRT-8 version in at around $35k or $36k, it's hard to argue against that being the best buy. However, the base version with 250hp and a bunch of standard features for the mid $20's is a great buy too in my opinion.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,199 Posts
Immposible to say, every persons quality/performance/cost/luxury slide rule has different default settings:)

Having lived the past 2 years with an SRT product, if those guys (some of whom, BTW spent a considerable amount of time at the SRT nationals sweating and wrenching on a couple of regular owners cars to get then back on the road course and racing) make it, it's gonna be best in class at sheer performance/dollar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright but i'm talking sheer performance, w/the V6(250hp) at 22,9 then the R/T hemi8(350hp) at 29,9 then the SRT8(425hp) est at 37(accroding to maxim). then count maybe a couple of opt. :rolleyes: its so hard.!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
Using the Magnum as a guide...most R/T's are going to land at 33-34k. The srt-8 is $37,999 + $1200 gas guzzler tax = 39,199 with no options... I think the best bang for the buck will be the Daytonas. at $32,995 with the srt's interior, the R/T's performance suspension standard, limited edition colors, an extra 10 hp and re-tuned exhaust...that is the best bang for the buck! Just look at it!!
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,199 Posts
I see your point, I've been trying to convince myself that a Daytona will be enough:) But I really think that to get a Daytona to the SRTs level (with some modicum of longevity and reliability) will end up costing you more, and blow your warranty into the weeds to boot:)

How much will it cost to up 350 to 425? That's 75 hp your needing. Then allow for suspension and brakes? Need that 100-0 time, and the .9 skidpad:) Remember, your buying a whole integrated package, not just HP. Oh, and of course, the DCX track time set up with Skip Barber to reach SRT owners the limits of the cars:)

Of course, this is moot til we get them and run them, the it will be seen:)

But I'll be willing to bet that it will cost more to make a Daytona run with an SRT than the price difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
GLHS837 said:
I see your point, I've been trying to convince myself that a Daytona will be enough:) But I really think that to get a Daytona to the SRTs level (with some modicum of longevity and reliability) will end up costing you more, and blow your warranty into the weeds to boot:)

How much will it cost to up 350 to 425? That's 75 hp your needing. Then allow for suspension and brakes? Need that 100-0 time, and the .9 skidpad:) Remember, your buying a whole integrated package, not just HP. Oh, and of course, the DCX track time set up with Skip Barber to reach SRT owners the limits of the cars:)

Of course, this is moot til we get them and run them, the it will be seen:)

But I'll be willing to bet that it will cost more to make a Daytona run with an SRT than the price difference.
I'm not saying the SRT isn't a good value..it is..but for what you get for your money( only a .5 sec diff to 60, a .05 diff on skid pad...I'm estimating of course, we won't know the hard figures untill some road test come out...and then the kicker 6-7 mpg better gas milage :) ) you get almost as much bang for less bucks...P.S. I still think they need a srt-8 daytona model :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
303 Posts
I wish to opine. From a hard working middle income family, I think my family is best suited if we go with the R/T. There are a few good things about the Daytona that I like, but for what I have to spend, the R/T offers the best for my family. I started out by saying I was going for the SRT, but 1. don't want to wait ( have always been impatient), 2. I am not paying one more penny for any kind of gas guzzler tax ( not quite getting it but I know its more money). Finally, considering what I am driving now ( a 6 cylinder Mustang, although bought and paid for with the booming system and nice shoes (( chrome wheels)), a 350 hp monster will get me in more than enough trouble. Not to mention when I feel like being cheap, and I am ( grown enough to admit it) an MDS system is right down my alley when I feel like taking the slow lane for my 30 min commute. ( Yea, I'm that dude. I'm conserving gas and I'm in the slow lane, so go around hater. Not scared to admit that). Yea I'll do my tweaks and add a few options, but when your pockets are as tight as a....( enter your own Joke :) ). That to me is my best bet. Also, if i get a 6.1 at 425-450 HP, I don't need to be driving it, I need to be racing it. How fast can one go on this nations highways anyway???

Oh yea, shout out to those who PM'd me with help and advice. That was appreciated. Found a guy in the hood, and it looks like we will be making sweet music together.

Holla,
SD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
The SRT-8 is great, but for $32K you can get a 05 GTO with 400 HP / Tq. Sure it's a coupe, but if the Charger SRT-8 comes in near $40K I'll take a pass. Great ride, just a bit rich for my blood, especially with the GTO there with only 25 less HP for $8K less.

My 2 cents.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,199 Posts
Shane, 2 years ago, I would have agreed %100 percent. There's the beauty of it, a flavor for everyone. I've spent the last 3 months driving a 310whp 2800lb FWD car:) Driving a normal car is almost painful:)


And Alex, for me, I gotta have back doors:) Long time til the kids get their own rides. And again, don't just look at hp numbers, there's a lot more going on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Yeah I hear you GLHS. I'm newly married and kids will be coming soon, probablly in the next year or two. I have my Durango to cart them around, but the wife definitely does not want me to get a sports coupe for 'myself' even though I can totally afford it.

So, the charger is kind of having my cake and eating it to. We'll see. Sure hope it's under $40K. Plus I just love Dodge and the value they bring to the table so I'll keep my fingers crossed! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
alextaylor29 said:
The SRT-8 is great, but for $32K you can get a 05 GTO with 400 HP / Tq. Sure it's a coupe, but if the Charger SRT-8 comes in near $40K I'll take a pass. Great ride, just a bit rich for my blood, especially with the GTO there with only 25 less HP for $8K less.

My 2 cents.
Blasphemy!!!the styling on the 05goat is horrible! it's not worth it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
GLHS837 said:
I see your point, I've been trying to convince myself that a Daytona will be enough:)
I am w/u on that, that's why i started this thread cuz every time i say that top banana looks good :eek: this image pops in my head:

then all logic flys out the window and next thing you know i'm selling blood and sperm at the same time trying to get the srt8 :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
RonRacer said:
Blasphemy!!!the styling on the 05goat is horrible! it's not worth it
Horrible? compared to what? I don't see DCx taking a risk like pontiac did to come out with a competitor to the expensive german coupes, or to take on the established jap psuedo luxo-sport coupes. IMO the Goat is damn near perfect transportation...understated looks( cops don't notice you) and world class performance and fit and finish. All for around the base price of a 3 series, or a g35...Trust me, plenty of people have gotten their shots in at the Charger, on this board, for styling issues. So, saying a car isn't any good because you don't like the styling...let's not revisit that ok?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
chargershed said:
Horrible? compared to what? I don't see DCx taking a risk like pontiac did to come out with a competitor to the expensive german coupes, or to take on the established jap psuedo luxo-sport coupes. IMO the Goat is damn near perfect transportation...understated looks( cops don't notice you) and world class performance and fit and finish. All for around the base price of a 3 series, or a g35...Trust me, plenty of people have gotten their shots in at the Charger, on this board, for styling issues. So, saying a car isn't any good because you don't like the styling...let's not revisit that ok?
Well played, Chargershed. I read the styling comment, was just starting to spool up, and then read your comment and left it alone. Anyway, back to my '68 . . . Take care.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
chargershed said:
Horrible? compared to what? I don't see DCx taking a risk like pontiac did to come out with a competitor to the expensive german coupes, or to take on the established jap psuedo luxo-sport coupes.
What risk did GM take making the GTO it doesn't even look like they tried. It seems to me that they just made a 2dr bonnieville and add some hood scoops, then think they can charge more than the stang and come out on top??.And oh go check out the new issue of motor trend, they have pics of the 08 goat and tell me that doesn't look like a mustang(Bitters!). I mean is it just me or does every pontiac look the same. If anything give it up for DCx having the balls to do what they what to the charger and adding 2 more drs. Cuz they could have easily just gone straght retro w/no new innovation('05' Ford).That why i love MOPAR cuz they're going to do what they want w/ there heads high and not tails tuck running back to the drawing board dropping other models behind them so you will forget there mistakes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RonRacer said:
That why i love MOPAR cuz they're going to do what they want w/ there heads high and not tails tuck running back to the drawing board dropping other models behind them so you will forget there mistakes.
And 4 you all who don't realize it i'm speaking on pontiac's G4, G6, G8 and the new solstice coming out and while we ohhing and ahhing they drop the 08 GTO behind our backs.PUNKS!!!!
I said it once, I'll say it again: **** GM!!!


Why don't pontiac get some balls and name some of these abominations. maybe they can't take the tongue lashing the dodge can. I have not heard one applogy from DCx about anything.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,855 Posts
RonRacer said:
What risk did GM take making the GTO it doesn't even look like they tried. It seems to me that they just made a 2dr bonnieville and add some hood scoops, I mean is it just me or does every pontiac look the same. If anything give it up for DCx having the balls to do what they what to the charger and adding 2 more drs. Cuz they could have easily just gone straght retro w/no new innovation('05' Ford).That why i love MOPAR cuz they're going to do what they want w/ there heads high and not tails tuck running back to the drawing board dropping other models behind them so you will forget there mistakes.
Ron, I think you missed the point...BOTH companies took risks in re-inventing a legendary nameplate, with tons and tons of emotional baggage for a lot of sentemental people. IMO Pontiac took much more of a risk, because their car more closely resembles (in layout, not looks) the car which it is trying to emulate. Dodge proved in the past when they slapped Charger on a POS omni 024 that their names meant nothing to them, unless it was to sell cars. The risk now was to try and bring some of us musclecar guys back into the fold, even though they made the car a 4door to begin with. As far as all pontiacs looking alike, that's brand recognition...I mean, doesn't every Dodge come with a crosshairs grill? Doesn't every BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Volvo, Lexus, Nissan( and the list goes on) look alike? Don't all brands of cars carry a "family resemblence"...??

Oh and by the way solstice is a name and pontiac doesn't make a g4 or a g8...
P.S. you don't need orange letters in your posts to get noticed, your stupidity gets you that already....NEXT!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Before i post:
chargershed said:
Dodge proved in the past when they slapped Charger on a POS omni 024 that their names meant nothing to them, unless it was to sell cars.NEXT!!!
LOL!!![/
chargershed said:
P.S. you don't need orange letters in your posts to get noticed, your stupidity gets you that already....NEXT!!!
LOL
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,199 Posts
chargershed said:
. Dodge proved in the past when they slapped Charger on a POS omni 024 that their names meant nothing to them,

Oh, man, your killing me, anyone here know what a GLHS is? :D
 
1 - 20 of 70 Posts
Top