Charger Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys got the Mopar headers? i was wonderin what you guys thought of em.

Also, i was curious to see how the mopar cai stacks up against the AFE stage II.. The afe seems to be the most popular cai among people on here

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
let me find you a link, hold on. its the best info ive found to date on CAI's, over on LX forums.... willl edit

----go look down the list inside thsi performance forum and find one called Short vs Longtube Headers. you can prolly spend an hour reading it and learn a lot about headers. its a thread i started at least a month ago and its still goin lol

here we go:
http://www.lxforums.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=164

a couple guys over on the LX forums got together and donated some CAI's and did a buncha pulls on a dyndo to compare them all.

the airhammer, which is made by a board member over there(350 big ones), has the highest hp.
then the afe stage 2 is second.

i went with the afe cuz im worried that TOO much airflow may not get enough filtered, so i picked one BARELY under the best, with the best reputation. AFE2

theres a lot of great info so do some good reading on that ;) thats just the directory, so find the threads u wanna read. good luck

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah cool, thanks man. Also, im not experienced in adding lots of mods and extra power, so i was wondering... about how much power can you add to the car before you have to start worrying about changing the differential and all that stuff to compensate for the added power.. Also, do you have to get your car's computer or chip or w/e tuned or calibrated after you add new stuff? Im like new to all this stuff lol, sorry

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
in short. no.

ive never heard of any one changing their differential on thsi car yet. i know the Quaife differential is out. but that helps to redistrubute power differently than the stock one, rather than deal with more power. and i havnt heard any first hand accounts of it.

a tuner will allow you get to more... LOTS... more out of your mods, but is not required. at least not for the lower end mods. but i cant imagine that if your going to spend the bucks on big ones, why you wouldnt drop 3-400 on a tuner too.

and dont worry about being new, i was new too pretty recently, but i spend so much damn time killing time here and getting further educated on my Baby, youd think i might be a tech.. no.. you wouldnt, thats got to be clear hehe. but wait for a couple of other guys to chime in, weve got more than one Chrysler certified tech on the boards, and the supporting vendors do lots of exlusive work on our types of cars and know extreme ammounts of info.

blast away with the questions.

if you are interested in modifying your cars performance, i suggest you start here:
handheld tuner(superchips or diablo predator)
exhaust(catback, then midpipes/cats and.. too many brands to list)
cold air intake(personally suggest AFE or the Air Hammer, then Mopar)

theres a million threads on ehxaust, but if you have a hard time with the Search feature on the boards, holler and im sure there will be plrenty of people willing to throw some input

hopefully im not too long winded. bored at work :p

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
in short. no.

ive never heard of any one changing their differential on thsi car yet. i know the Quaife differential is out. but that helps to redistrubute power differently than the stock one, rather than deal with more power. and i havnt heard any first hand accounts of it.

a tuner will allow you get to more... LOTS... more out of your mods, but is not required. at least not for the lower end mods. but i cant imagine that if your going to spend the bucks on big ones, why you wouldnt drop 3-400 on a tuner too.

and dont worry about being new, i was new too pretty recently, but i spend so much damn time killing time here and getting further educated on my Baby, youd think i might be a tech.. no.. you wouldnt, thats got to be clear hehe. but wait for a couple of other guys to chime in, weve got more than one Chrysler certified tech on the boards, and the supporting vendors do lots of exlusive work on our types of cars and know extreme ammounts of info.

blast away with the questions.

if you are interested in modifying your cars performance, i suggest you start here:
handheld tuner(superchips or diablo predator)
exhaust(catback, then midpipes/cats and.. too many brands to list)
cold air intake(personally suggest AFE or the Air Hammer, then Mopar)

theres a million threads on ehxaust, but if you have a hard time with the Search feature on the boards, holler and im sure there will be plrenty of people willing to throw some input

hopefully im not too long winded. bored at work :p
actually i have a few more things to clear up, first off, as far as mid pipes and hi flow cats are concerend, do you have to buy those separately from the exhaust system? I know catalytic converters are already in the exhaust system, but im guessing they dont come with "hi-flow" ones... and you have to buy those to replace them? Also, i hear all this talk of removing resonators. Do all exhaust systems come with resonators? and do you always want to remove it? i feel like a tard, i dont know anything about modding just yet haha

Just trying to get all this exhaust stuff figured out before i spend my money on that stuff. Btw im really leaning towards JBA exhaust related stuff (except exhaust headers, ima save up big money and get either mopar or kooks) so if you happen to know any jba related info about what we're talking about , feel free to lemme know hah.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Some setups come with midpipes some dont, depends on the setup.

Also some headers come with highflow cats, some dont. (mopar does, jba sells kits that come with headers and cats/midpipe, kooks, slp dont. gotta buy your own)

there are pretty much 3 parts to your exhuast, headers, midpipes/cats, and cat back.

you need to either go with a setup like the full JBA header back package or mix and match. choose a header(long or short tube), look to see if it comes with cats, if not get some cats, then choose a cat back (this will be the x pipe, mufflers, pipes and rezos. it might not have rezos, they are all different. dont worry about what the cat back comes with, just pick one that sounds to your liking.)

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
ok. first, shlokda, read my post about the exhaust diagram for newbs, it should help :)

second:
long tube headers come the high flow cats. when you buy a set o flong tubes, your current mid pipes(aka catted midpipes, where your cats are) get removed, and the long tubes take up all that space and they slap new high flow cats right on the back. then you have your cat back systems which hook up to that.

shorty headers(like your current stock ones, and th JBA headers) are not as long as longtubes (obviously lol) and thus need pipes after the header, to reach the cats.. and a lil pipe after the cats, to reach the catback part.

so either you get shorty headers and high flow catted mid pipes and a cat back

or you get longtubes with high flow cats and a cat back

make sense?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok after reading your post and the one right above it, makes perfect sense. NOW, what is the performance diff between shorties and LT's ... no one seems to have a set idea in mind... i loooked at a thread specifically made asking that question and it is now like 20 pages long and the first 2 pages were people arguing over whether shorties gave you low range rpm boosts or high range, and they all flip flop'd for the following like 10 pages lol. LT's seem to get more praise. I just dont want to send up buying that jba package and it end up sucking as far as power gains are concerned.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
bottom line is shorties get more in the bottom end of rpms. like better off the line. and good for passing. but you wont see nearly the gains when you got that baby up in the high rpms like u will on LTs.

shrug. i made the thread and after a lot of deliberatig nim going with the LT route

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.