Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I put the longtube header/cat set on with a stock exhaust, is it much louder? Has anybody done a how to write up? Can it be done in a garage, or do you need to have a shop do it? Charges?

·
Registered
676 Posts
I would think that it would be louder, but not by much. The stock system is pretty heavily resonated so the headers would still have to get past that. As for install, as long as you can get your car high enough into the air to be able to move the headers around from underneath your car the install shouldn't be overly hard I would think. Though I haven't actually done it so don't put to much weight on my words. The only other thing I could recommend would possibly be to buy a good set of header bolts. The bolts for headers often loosen, requireing retightening which could result in over tightening some. You can find good locking bolts that will keep your headers where they belong without having to fool around with them half as much.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
i've heard that putting headers on these cars is pretty tough. it usually takes people about 8 hours. you have to make sure you have to right tools, and yea it is easier if you have a lift lol. i wouldnt think it would make the that much louder, but it would flow a lot better.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I installed my JBA headers and PimpLay2s Mopar LT headers. The job is easy but somewhat time consuming. Attention to detail and taking your time pays off. On both sets of headers I did not remove engine mounts. With the right tools and know how it is easy. I did both cars in my garage on jack stands. It is easier and less time consuming installing them by taking the heads off.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I have the Mopar LT with the stock exhaust. You get alittle rumble in the cabin when you get on the gas hard but it is a very quiet setup overall.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
hemiready. you got to explain that dyson supercharger, whatever you got goin on, to me. i cant tell if its a joke or what but i see it in your sig and avatar and chuckle. do tell!

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
hemiready. you got to explain that dyson supercharger, whatever you got goin on, to me. i cant tell if its a joke or what but i see it in your sig and avatar and chuckle. do tell!

An old old joke my man. Glad you noticed. A long while back there was a post in the off topic section (I think) about whether or not the Dyson is a good vacuum to buy and of course we all chimed in with opinions. I have one and like it.

I got a little carried away from there.

Nobody has mentioned it for a while but a certain forum member (whose identity will be protected) recently PM'd me asking where he could get that supercharger. I would never mock him. Gotta respect him and his search for horsepower. Felt bad that I had to tell him it was just a joke.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
hahaha . thats hilarious. i was like.. .call me crazy but.. dont vacuums suck? and if not this must be the most elite DIY ever hahaha. thx for the laugh tho, thats too funny

·
Registered
507 Posts
imo i think that theres no point in doing headers and hiflows unless your getting an aftermarket exhaust..

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
hahaha . thats hilarious. i was like.. .call me crazy but.. dont vacuums suck? and if not this must be the most elite DIY ever hahaha. thx for the laugh tho, thats too funny
Exactly. Sucks in the cold air and we run it right into the intake. You can't see the plumbing behind it. We did run into some technical problems with the height of the unit (you can't see over the open hood but who cares?) and you need a 500 mile long extension cord. :)

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
imo i think that theres no point in doing headers and hiflows unless your getting an aftermarket exhaust..
I tend to agree but I've never really seen numbers on that or gotten a good firm supportable answer. I don't want more noise but I would be more then willing to pay for Zoomers (for exmaple) if they would add more then just noise and actual performance.
Some say our exhuast system on the RT with RT is well desgined and little or no gains are to be had with the cat back. I'm thinking that I'm flowing more exhuast from the long tubes and it may not be flowing well out the back if the stock system is just that little bit more restrictive then a good aftermarket unit.
But, does that matter in terms of HP gains? I don't know. I would love to see some dyno numbers on the same car with the LT's and stock and then a reaasonable (in terms of sound) aftermarket system.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
so true. i got my r/t r&t creemed. im wondering how much those resos's actually stop up and if its worth it to purchase a cat back too. even tho i think it is, id love to know how much difference there truly is

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Exactly. Sucks in the cold air and we run it right into the intake. You can't see the plumbing behind it. We did run into some technical problems with the height of the unit (you can't see over the open hood but who cares?) and you need a 500 mile long extension cord. :)
bwhahahaha omg. thank you sir for the laugh, the extension cord part was the kicker. ive had the worst day and you ahve surely brightened it. if you care to know why, check out the Texas forum and read me post entitled "**** the po-lice comin straight from tha underground".

·
Registered
898 Posts
i had my mopar LTs with my stock exhaust for a while and i liked the sound, its was quiet most of the time unless you went WOT, and i did felt an increase in performance with just the headers :rockon:

·
Banned
3,769 Posts
Actually, we get alot of customers that go with headera/highflow cats and keep the rest of the exhaust stock. Two of my own cars are set up like this. My reason is for the horsepower gain and to keep the car quiet. The car won't be much if any louder during normal driving. It will be a little more aggressive at wide open throttle.

fwiw- The Mopar headers are more of a mid-length and not long tube headers.

TBYRNE MOTORSPORTS LLC
ORDER LINE - 1-877-4-TBYRNE (1-877-482-9763)
E-MAIL - [email protected]

CHECK OUR WEBSITE FOR WEEKLY SPECIALS! INSTALLATION SPECIALS AVAILABLE!

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
bwhahahaha omg. thank you sir for the laugh, the extension cord part was the kicker. ive had the worst day and you ahve surely brightened it. if you care to know why, check out the Texas forum and read me post entitled "**** the po-lice comin straight from tha underground".

And... right back at you. I have been going through a lot of stuff (nothing horrible - just an overload of crap culminating with my wife getting hit in the rear in our other car last week) and you made my morning. Glad you enjoyed some BS. I'm going to check out your thread now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts