Charger Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the discontinued Mopar exhaust (#82209611) today and I'm toying with the idea of installing it myself. How difficult is this to do? Any special tips, tools, or patience required? :smile:

And I saw the thread on the driver side heatshield, but don't know if anyone came to a definite conclusion on whether it's needed or not. The parts guy at the Dodge dealership that I ordered the exhaust system from didn't see anything about it being necessary.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i dont think its a good idea to install it by ur self because its not that easy...
about the heat shield u dont need it because its necessary if u have 2 mufflers in the middle instead of one for 3.5 l charger ( like adding r/t exhaust on v6 charger) but u r not goin to do that soo there is no need for it ...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, I didn't even think about that. (<----n00b) Guess I got caught up in the excitement.:lol: And with this exhaust I should expect no in-cabin drone, but a little throatiness when accelerating, slightly small pipes, however, the cutout on the driver's side is finally filled. Right?:rockon:

·
Registered
860 Posts
well you get a lil drone when you first get in and go when she is cold but when she is warm barely any. Its not hard to do yourself, but it helps to have room to get under her. I took mine to midas and it cost 175 to install, and there is no need for a heat shield. I looked at the gas tank and there is heat shield on it. i bought one and didn't need it. my pipes were about the same size but i have 4 inch tips on mine. and if you don't already, i would get a CAI with it.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
well you get a lil drone when you first get in and go when she is cold but when she is warm barely any. Its not hard to do yourself, but it helps to have room to get under her. I took mine to midas and it cost 175 to install, and there is no need for a heat shield. I looked at the gas tank and there is heat shield on it. i bought one and didn't need it. my pipes were about the same size but i have 4 inch tips on mine. and if you don't already, i would get a CAI with it.
I have the SLP Loudmouth and I get the drone when its cold. I wonder why that is. I am glad someone else said something. I thought I was going crazy.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Congrats on buying a (mostly) great system. As noted, you don't need the heat shield. You also don't need the headache of installing it yourself. On mine, even the muffler shop guys had a tough time - they had to "heat and beat" the old system to get it off the car (made more difficult by my request to keep it in one piece. The new system is a good fit, except for one thing: the support bar may contact the system when it is installed. The fix is to put spacers between the support and its mounting points (the shop used large hex nuts - they are not threaded on, just used to gain clearance). If your system was bent the same way mine was, attaching it in the original manner will give you a vibration at the very least. As it sits now, the new system is good on all but a very few combination bumps, where I will get a clunk. Another idea (one I haven't gotten around to yet) is to modify or re-engineer the support for added clearance. The support is there to keep the system from causing major damage should the front section drop down onto the road while the car is moving - so removing it is probably not a good idea.
With regard to the sound, it was the perfect system for my needs. No drone under most conditions - you will hear it at startup and when you put your foot down you get a hollow growl that supposedly gets better with time (I've only had mine on for a couple of months)
I think you made a good choice - I know finding these is tough since they discontinued it. Please post and let us know how you like the system!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
if you have drone, and it bothers you. the system is lacking enough sound absorbing pieces. add a resonator or a smaller muffler (what a resonator actually is) to the setup. easy fix.

theres a reason in stock form, we have a mid mounted muffler and a smaller muffler/resonator at the rear.

·
Registered
427 Posts
the install is simple and quick I did it myself in less than 45 minutes. the mopar system does have a mid mounted muffler and reso, like stock. there really isn't any drone with this system its just like stock only a little (very little) bit louder, sometimes you can't even tell you have an aftermarket exhaust. if you add headers then you will get a drone.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the extra info. It's supposed to get here this week. I'd love to have the system on by next weekend, but not sure how Thanksgiving is going to play into it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the new exhaust delivered to me yesterday. So in a mad dash today, I got someone to install it. It's just my opinion, but I think they look better than an empty cutout. :wink:

Now if I could just get that stoopid Carmax lettering off the trunk!

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Now if I could just get that stoopid Carmax lettering off the trunk!
Heat gun and goo gone, don't rub too hard.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. I got brave today and just went out and tested a letter with my fingernail. Don't know why (since it was in the 40s today), but the letter came off very easily. So now... no dealer name on the back. W00t!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts