Charger Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my R/T which has the Road/Track Performance package. Will the Mopar CAI improve performance and MPG? I was told by the Sales guy there was no need for mods because the R&T package already has enhanced air intake and exhaust. You can't always believe what sales people say so I am wondering if a CAI and Exhaust would get me more performance?

I am new to mods but reading this site I have learned the best place to start is with a CAI and an Exhaust.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
u might get a lil bit more hp outta the mopar cai i tink ppl buy it more for the good looks than performance

·
Registered
608 Posts
From what I hear AFE stage II make the best CAI also Long Headers will definately give you a boost. and when all thats Done That whole Predator thing will blow you away.

·
Registered
928 Posts
a CAI will give you a MINOR improvement and sound awesome. look to upgrade the headers and exhaust if you want real gains.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The salesperson was not bs'ing. The Road and Track package does give you a different intake and exhaust over the stock R/T. That contributes to the 10 HP gain over the stock R/T. I really didn't notice any performance gain by adding the aFe II intake(if it did, too little to notice). Just sounds better. As for the exhaust, even though the Road and Track exhaust supposedly flows better and does sound better than the stock R/T, it's still a little quiet for me. I'm sure that a good aftermarket exhaust will provide minimal gains over the stock system, but most will sound better than the stock Road and Track. Just beware of the drone some systems add if you don't like the drone(most times at highway cruising speed or at or around 1800-2200 rpms, or when the MDS kicks in). Enjoy your new ride!!

Ed

·
Registered
219 Posts
YES IT DOES, MOPAR CAI improve performance, little changes give you little improvments, but you will feel it. is easier for the engine to suck the air from the mopar upgrade that from the superdutty filter from stock,
take a look of the one from stock and compare both, you can also ear it sucking the air easier.
now, the question is if it really deserve to spend $400 for this little mod.
if you have a lot of money...yes i recomend it, the sound in high rpms are amazing
if you are saving to make your monthly payments, dude, save it for gass

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Well, the R&T Package has a larger intake, so I don't know what the gain would be....but the sound of the air when you rev it up is cool...plus, it looks really sharp in the engine, with the Mopar logo.......and, since it's OEM...it's fits perfectly.

I love mine.

- Mark

·
Registered
430 Posts
We have the Mopar CAI and both my fiance and I noticed a difference in performance. It didn't necessarily improve our track times tremendously (fractions of a second), but the engine just seems like it's more responsive. Not to mention the sound is AWESOME!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
~400 is not too much and may be worth the sound alone.. How about the exhaust. I know it will sound different but with a combo will I see a difference. Even if its in fuel economy it may be worth it over time.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Why pay $400 when you can spend $500 for an aFe stage II and a Diablo from Tbyrne?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Why pay $400 when you can spend $500 for an aFe stage II and a Diablo from Tbyrne?
True, but if you don't want the AFE Stage II, you can find the Mopar CAI for about $250..........check Ebay, and with some vendors here. I paid $220 for mine about 7 months ago....I believe I got it from StripperMotors.

- Mark

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
Thats more of a fair price. If youc an get one for under 250, then its not a bad deal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My '06 R/T w/R&T ran almost 2/10 slower with the Mopar CAI than it did with the stock airbox & OE paper filter, 14.0's with the MP CAI, 13.80's with the stock R&T box.

The car was a demo w/1,800 miles when I got it- it already had the CAI on it and the stock airbox was in the trunk.

·
Registered
619 Posts
here is a review i posted in my modstravaganza thread. the daytona package has the same intake as the r&t package, so your experience should be similiar.

Mopar CAI:
The install was very easy compared to previous cars I have installed intakes on, but I found the Mopar instructions pretty useless. For those of you who want to install this mod in the future, I found it much easier to loosely assemble all of the parts and then put the CAI in as one piece and tighten everything. This cuts down on the time you will spend at awkward angles and in tights spaces during the install. Also, I have no clue why the instructions say you need to extend the factory breather hose. I actually cut off about an inch of mine and then used a hose clamp to attach it to the CAI.

This mod with my factory hood did not produce any real performance games that I could notice, however the difference it made in the sound of my exhaust made it totally worth the price! It’s definitely about an octave lower and much more throaty than it was with my original Daytona intake. The sound of the intake itself was also impressive, especially at anything more than half throttle. After the new hood, the butt dyno tells me I’m a little faster in the lower RPM’s and the intake sound has gotten even louder both of which I think are due to the hood scoop. The sound is absolutely menacing!

All in all, I really like this mod even though it didn’t increase performance very noticeably. It looks great, it sounds great, it was easy to install, it’s made well, and it performs at least slightly better the stock one, so I’m happy. Mod Rating: 7/10

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the drop in K&N filter in my road and track. It changed the sound of the exhaust, just a touch louder, and the intake noise is noticeable now. SOTP differences were similar to my other vehicles when I used a drop in, better off idle, better sound, and a bit better acceleration feeling. Any of these filter setups will flow plenty of air for a N/A motor, it's just down to looks and sound mostly with a negligible two or three or HP left on the table between them.

I'm happy with the 50 dollar drop in

1 - 15 of 15 Posts