Charger Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished installing the MOPAR CAI -- or at least I think I did. :confused: One of the last steps from the directions (if you call them that) is to attach the breather hose connector to the small piece of hose they give you in the kit. The reason for this is obviously because the OEM breather hose isn't long enough to reach the NEW connection on the MOPAR CAI.

So I took the breather connector, installed the small hose onto that (using a little WD-40) which worked like a charm. The problem was when I went to install the factor breather hose to the OTHER END of the connector -- it was VERY LOOSE. The factory hose is slightly bigger then the hose they give you in the kit. The hose you get in the kit fits TIGHTLY -- "EXTREMELY TIGHTLY TO BE SPECIFIC) around the breather hose connector.

While the factory breather hose connector is EXTMRELY LOOSE. I can literally remove the factory breather hose from the connector with one finger pushing back the hose, whereas the little hose that came with the breather connector is to tight it would take quite a bit of time to remove it.

Is this normal or am I missing something. The ONLY thing I can think of is there were two sides to the breather connector (one being bigger then the other), but I don't think that is the case -- i'm pretty sure both sides are identical in size -- but can't guarantee it.

Anyone else who has installed this -- please let me know what i'm missing or if this is normal....because I can't see how that can be so loose....thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
When I installed my CAI I found the same hose loose and not connected to the engine, just going into/under the engine cover ... needless to say I found this odd and confusing but I attached it and it went on nice and tight and hasn't come off since ... I started up the engine and went for a drive to put some :D :D :D on my face ... :D

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
gpwebman, thanks for your reply. So the breather hose CONNECTOR is the same on BOTH sides, right? One side wasn't bigger then the other?

When you say the "same" hose was loose for you and wasn't attached to the engine, i'm confused. First, there is no engine cover, I took it off and haven't put it back on yet. Also, what do you mean the same hose isn't attached to your ENGINE? The hose is very much attached to my engine and it's attached extremely tight like it should be.

The issue for me isn't the hose coming out of the engine -- it's the OTHER end going into the connector. It basically just sits on top of the connector and because it's over the connector a couple of inches, it may very well never come off. I just find it extremely odd that the other end is so tight you couldn't PULL IT OFF -- the hose going to the engine is EQUALLY as tight, but the other end going from the engine to the breather hose connector is so loose on top of there that I could open my hood and use 1 FINGER with almost no force to just push it back and off.

It sounds like this is normal if I'm understanding you -- although I don't know what you mean "not connected to your engine."

·
Registered
13,502 Posts
OK, nevermind, we seem to have different issues .... yours is loose at the CAI connector, my hose was the hose that goes to that connector but was NOT attached to my engine from the factory and apparently the dealer PDI didn't find this ...

The hose I had a problem with is therefore on the driver side (left side) of the car ... sorry for the confusion ...:knockout: :knockout:

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
my afe2 came with little hose clamps.

you ought to buy some at the local hardware shop

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dudewin,

thanks for the reply. Actually you bring up a good point and one that I did not mention. A little hose "clamp" DID come with the kit -- but the instructions/directions (again, IF YOU CALL THEM THAT) state to use the clamp and tighten it at the very end of the OTHER side of the hose -- the end that is FIRMLY TIGHT. I was thinking that I could -- worst case scenario just move that clamp to the MIDDLE of the connector between both hoses and tighten it down there. If I do that then that will solve any issue of the hose coming off --

But my question is more geared towards the issue itself and if all the other installers of the Mopar CAI also had that hose loose as hell. My car was manufactured only 3 months ago and I bought it last month so I am more curious if the hose they are were using on the later model Chargers were bigger then the ones they were using prior (for some reason) or if other people just did what you suggested and used that hose clamp to tighten the middle area because that hose from the engine to the connector is so loose.

I know there are lots of people here that have done the mod..hopefully at least one or two will say for sure.

·
Registered
928 Posts
My situation was a bit different as I put a 6.1L CAI on my 5.7 (so I dont know about what hoses came with yours or how the "nipple" on the CAI is sized), but the original 5. 7 hose is NOT the same size on both sides (one side is 1/2in one is 1/4in on a 5.7). however on my CAI the connector on the tube and the engine are now the same size, so I just went and purchased a bit of 1/4 hose from the auto parts store, cost about a buck. problem solved.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I had a similar problem with mine. Their are two factory air boxes for the 5.7 one fits perfect and the other is way too big My factory vent hose was large enough to actually fit over the one supplied with the kit I finally got a hose from a rt with out rt with a smaller air box and it fit perfectly

·
Registered
208 Posts
From my earlier post-believe may be your issue.

"Mopar CAI and Plum/R&T package

DIY'ers FYI- When I installed my Mopar CAI on the purple car I found that the hoe to the intake was considerably larger diameter than what was to fit the plastic male/male ended connector. On review of Star Parts I found that regular 5.7gets one air filter box and anything w/ R&T package gets another part number. I found Mopar part number 4792856aa is the original size hose that will fit directly without modification or extra clamps and adapters."

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the responses. I knew I wasn't going crazy and this had to be more of an issue then just with me. You both answered it! There are two STOCK BOXES -- the RT PERFORMANCE GROUP (like mine) has the bigger hose.

Again, this can be VERY confusing to someone that has never installed anything like this in the past. I just used that hose clamp that I got and tightened it down enough to where the hose doesn't come off. My car is running so smooth it's crazy.

I will, however, get that part you mentioned sometime in the future just to have one less part. Thanks for the heads up!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts