Charger Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told back in about 98 that mopar merged with Mercedes and some parts on the charger..like the tranny and chassis are from Mercedes Benz...does anyone know if this is true??? :confused:

·
Registered
197 Posts
It's true: the Charger is a multinational vehicle.

The suspension, brakes, steering gear, and transmission are all derived from Mercedes designs. There may be other Mercedes derived parts on the car, but I'm not sure exactly sure which ones they are. The sticker on my R/T lists the transmission country of origin as Germany. And the HEMI is made in Mexico.

·
Banned
236 Posts
Wilnutt said:
I was told back in about 98 that mopar merged with Mercedes and some parts on the charger..like the tranny and chassis are from Mercedes Benz...does anyone know if this is true??? :confused:
True. That was a selling point for me.

I learned to shift the Autostick tranny in my wife's ML350.

The brakes have the same power assist technology.

-mark
Daytona #1247

·
Registered
51 Posts
Good info here and considering that many feel Mercedes builds the best transmissions in the World, this is a benefit for the 300/Charger/Magnum cars. The autostick is very sweet to drive as you all know.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I hope my Charger does not disappoint me as my 02 C320 & (to a lesser degree) my 03 ML 320 did.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No i love the charger..maybe not as stylish as the first generations....but the got the ummmfff to back'm up sooo....

·
Registered
197 Posts
Here's the info on the Mexican HEMI plant (from the DC web site)

Saltillo Engine Plant

Carr. Saltillo-Monterrey KM9.5, Ramos Arizpe, COAH 25900 Mexico

Floor Space
1,652,506 Square Feet

Acreage
74.74 Acres

Products
2.0-liter/2.4-liter DOHC Engines – Chrysler PT Cruiser and Dodge Stratus
2.4-liter Turbo Engine – Chrysler PT Cruiser, Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible, Dodge Neon SRT-4 and Dodge Stratus
5.7-liter, V-8 HEMI® Engine – Chrysler 300, Dodge Ram, Dodge Magnum, Dodge Charger, Dodge Durango and Jeep® Grand Cherokee

Employment
1,109 Employees

Plant History
Facility was completed and engine production started in May 1981. 5.7 Liter launched in June 2002.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Re: Here's the info on the Mexican HEMI plant (from the DC web site)

jmorrell said:
Saltillo Engine Plant

Products

2.4-liter Turbo Engine – Chrysler PT Cruiser, Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible, Dodge Neon SRT-4 and Dodge Stratus
[
I can say this motor has been bulletproof, and will in my opinion stand in time with other legendary motors like the slant six and the 302 for sheer ability to take a pounding.

While in in this thread, I posted som of the suspension info and trns info in the other thread. Also, for the techheads, I"m posting up a story about the structual makeup of the car that I stumbled across. Very aprobos of that crsh pic we saw recently

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Re: Here's the info on the Mexican HEMI plant (from the DC web site)

jmorrell said:
5.7-liter, V-8 HEMI® Engine – Chrysler 300, Dodge Ram, Dodge Magnum, Dodge Charger, Dodge Durango and Jeep® Grand Cherokee
Doesn't mention the 6.1-liter V-8 HEMI... wonder where that is being made??

·
Registered
245 Posts
Wilnutt said:
Next time you are at a Chrysler dealer, open the hood on a Crossfire, it has Benz emblems and the words Mercedes Benz all over the black plastic covers and parts. Basically all the Crossfire is, is an SLK.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Yep, but thats the only real crossover like that. And the SRT-6 is basically the AMG version for a helluva lot less cash. At the Chrysler Inspired Drives event, they had an SRT-6 motor on a stand where you could get all touchy feely, and the blower said AMG right on it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My friend has a Benz they are sharing a lot. I think it's good. The quality of these Chargers is MUCH more than you'd expect. I like my Charger better than his Benz and I paid 1/2 of what he did.

·
Registered
202 Posts
also, the new R-Class is basically a pacifica. im sure more crossover fun will ensue in the future. some other bits and pieces ive noticed on the charger that are benz is the climate control head and the seat switches. i also assume the navi unit is some version of the benz unit

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
yeah alpine used to make the head units for the benz's but i think they're all bose now. i thought chrysler used infinity for their sound system?

...i'd check the parts supplier list but it doesnt seem to wanna load right now. actually, most of the forum has been kinda funky for me today...

·
Registered
197 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts