Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Adding that sensor is not the only part of the system. It also uses the Camera mounted to the rear view mirror front. If thats not there then it won't work.
Also just adding it, would it even be enableable in software to get it working.
Also a new lower grill would be required.
Also the buttons on the steering wheel would be required as the are not there either.

In the end, probably cost prohibative even if it could be made to work.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Adding that sensor is not the only part of the system. It also uses the Camera mounted to the rear view mirror front. If thats not there then it won't work.
Also just adding it, would it even be enableable in software to get it working.
Also a new lower grill would be required.
Also the buttons on the steering wheel would be required as the are not there either.

In the end, probably cost prohibative even if it could be made to work.
You'd also need to have access the the very expensive machine used to aim the laser.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
They are indeed sensitive to aiming. They also use sensors in the column to determine the angle the car is at, so they are sensitive to vehicle alignment as well.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Alfaobd will unlock the program. Buttons are 50ish.. and would just need a new lower honeycomb
Forgot to add the wiring for the sensor may not even be there. I know of no one that has ever added it successfully.
Good luck if you want to try, but i highly doubt it.
Does your rear view mirror have the front facing camera?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know my car is in the dealership getting a new engine. But it is the auto dimming mirror. I guess this is what I get for buying used instead of new. I got all the features that I wanted to begin with but then I had the opportunity to drive a vehicle that had the adapter cruise control and was very impressed and I enjoyed it

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I don't know my car is in the dealership getting a new engine. But it is the auto dimming mirror. I guess this is what I get for buying used instead of new. I got all the features that I wanted to begin with but then I had the opportunity to drive a vehicle that had the adapter cruise control and was very impressed and I enjoyed it
I agree it a great feature, I love it and use it all the time.
I hope you can get it going!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would love to have adaptive cruise control, but I didn't want to spend $10k on getting it.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
It was one option I made sure to order on my Challenger and no regrets, but I can't imagine trying to add it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have it and thing it is great. I know other people who have it and don't use it. I fail to understand why. Could I live without it? Sure. But once I used it on a longer trip I realized how much of a brain drain it eliminates. I use it in two different ways. I set it well above the flow of traffic and then simply stay behind a vehicle. It maintains the same distance the whole time so I never have to thing about slowing down or speeding up. The other way is I set it and just forget about speed. For example, if I'm in the right/slow lane and am coming up on a slow truck, I don't need to start thinking about, do I need to speed up or slow down to get into the left lane, can I get over in front of that vehicle or need to wait, etc. I just let the Charger automatically slow down and continue to enjoy the sights. When it is obvious that the left lane is completely clear, I just use my signal and get over. As soon as I start to change lanes, the Charger automatically speeds up. I find I'm less burned out so I'm more attentive when driving longer distances.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I added adaptive cruise to my 2013 Charger a little over four years ago and its been working great. I did a write up on the Z forum in the Knowledge Base Submission section. The post is there, but it looks like the pictures are no longer working. I had to get the distance sensor, the steering wheel controls, and a new ABS brake module that was setup to work with ACC. At the time I used a combination of the #CarConnect and some custom software to edit to the car's configuration to add ACC, but it looks like #CarConnect does not exist anymore. It cost around $1200 in parts and tools (ACC sensor was used from a crashed 2012 Chrysler 300).

The 2015+ models added the lane departure system, which may be integral to the driver assistance functions on those vehicles. You may need to add both ACC and lane departure on the newer Chargers.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have it and thing it is great. I know other people who have it and don't use it. I fail to understand why. .
I have it and think its neat. For me there always seems to be some combination of idiot/fast/slow/tractor trailer driver that makes me use the brake/gas pedal.
Regular cruise is what I end up using most of the time

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Every car I get in now that DOESN'T have it now ticks me off, it's a great option.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
After getting my first car with adaptive cruise, I don't think I could ever go back to "regular" cruise control. Based on what I've read here over the past couple of years, it seems like this modification after the fact would be very difficult and prohibitively expensive. Might be one of those cases where it's a lot cheaper and less aggravating to swap cars.

Good luck!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I added adaptive cruise to my 2013 Charger a little over four years ago and its been working great. I did a write up on the Z forum in the Knowledge Base Submission section. The post is there, but it looks like the pictures are no longer working. I had to get the distance sensor, the steering wheel controls, and a new ABS brake module that was setup to work with ACC. At the time I used a combination of the #CarConnect and some custom software to edit to the car's configuration to add ACC, but it looks like #CarConnect does not exist anymore. It cost around $1200 in parts and tools (ACC sensor was used from a crashed 2012 Chrysler 300).

The 2015+ models added the lane departure system, which may be integral to the driver assistance functions on those vehicles. You may need to add both ACC and lane departure on the newer Chargers.
Maybe you could add a link to your post? I wasn't able to locate it.... I was trying.to add that to my charger, thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts