Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Back in April a guy from Montreal Quebec., Canada was selling his 1967 Rally "WINK" mirror on Ebay. I had one of these in my 1968 Camaro when I was a teenager. I snatched it up, sight unseen. It took about 3 weeks, but when it arrived it was still in its original box that read “1967 Safety Award Winner”! It was a dull red plastic color with the black rubber strips running down the front lip. It’s a 36” 5 panel type and came without mounting brackets. I went down to the Depot and picked up some angle brackets and covered um in black felt then mounted it up under the headliner. It looked and worked okay, but did have some vibration over bumps.

A couple of weeks back I sent my Ram Air Hood air-box to my buddy’s shop for paint. I figured, why keep this sucker red when I can get it shot factory black? I sanded it down, taped off the mirrors, shot it with self leveling primer, and packed it up with the air-box. While it was out, I was able to track down a couple of Wink mirror windshield mounting kits on the Truechoice Motorsports website. The hope was to get rid of the top mounting brackets and get a much tighter fit to the windshield.

Because the mounting kits were made for the modern Wink mirrors, I had to build a couple of custom brackets to get from the 1/4-20 thread on the windshield kit to the side bolts on the old school mirror. Today I got it back in my ride and I love it! I think it looks clean and mean, let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Whoa...looks just whacky to me!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Being a guy that had a few different cars with winks in them, I can appriciate the look of it! you should try to get ahold of the louvered chrome backing that covers the area that you painted black. I think that would look sweet as well!

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
OK I will take the slack for it. But What is that??

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
But what does it do??

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Being a guy that had a few different cars with winks in them, I can appriciate the look of it! you should try to get ahold of the louvered chrome backing that covers the area that you painted black. I think that would look sweet as well!
I remember the chrome covers, but I thought they were more for Baja's?

OK I will take the slack for it. But What is that??
It’s a panoramic rearview mirror.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Ok thank you.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Wow... i guess that solves any rearward visibility problems. Although it looks eats up some valuable windshield real estate in the front... how does that make you feel?

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow... i guess that solves any rearward visibility problems. Although it looks eats up some valuable windshield real estate in the front... how does that make you feel?
Yep, no more accidental cut-offs because of blind spots. Actually, putting the sun visor down eats up more visible area, so I don't think I'll be runnin’ over little Johnny any time soon. :clap: Because our headliners dip in the middle for the overhead console, there's a nice gap that lets you see signal lights, even if you’re in the poll position.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I had one in my VW "66 Bug, "67 Bus, "74 Baja Thing and FJ 40 Landcruiser.
Got a pic fro the front?

·
Registered
523 Posts
AAAARRRGH! To each his own, glad you like it, but I hate those things. They just always seemed to go hand-in-hand with slapper bars and air shocks jacking the rear on every psuedo-racer I remember in the late '70s and early 1980's. I was really happy when I could walk into a Pep Boys and not see racks of those things for sale. Looks like a nice clean install though. I'm guessing (hoping) you didn't replace a factory u-connect mirror with that. Good luck rigging a day/night feature, it seems like you'll have nothing but headlights blinding you from every possible angle behind you. Like I said, to each his own. Maybe it's so retro now, it's considered cool?

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Too cool, man, too cool! Now all you need is a Hang Ten foot pedal!
Hang Ten pedal only? Crap, why not go all the way and do the full-blown Hang 10 dress up package? :cool:

The package consisted of orange shag carpet, multi-colored woven seat inserts in the seats and also the door panels. The dash face was also painted red in some areas, as well as the top face of the console which was standard in all Hang 10's. The car was also equipped with a red and blue side stripe with an image of a surfer riding a wave at the tail end of the stripe. It also had a decorative Hang 10 logo on the hood and tail panel. All Hang 10's came in an eggshell white color. You could also order the 360 w/dual exhaust and chrome tips for more punch, a sunroof, "tuff" steering wheel, racing mirrors, half or full vinyl top, Rallye wheels, or air conditioning.

Hummm??? NOPE! :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
That is COOL! I'd love to sit in your car and check it out in person. I'll have to find someone near me to try it out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.