Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was looking for ways to mount my cell phone for use while driving. The Charger has an odd shaped windshield which makes it difficult. I looked at vent mounts as well but the vents on the charger had the adjustment piece right in the middle. I ended up going with a mount that I bought at Best Buy which works perfectly. The suction mount is a soft pliable rubber that is designed to mount on the dash. I've not even tried that as I mounted it right next to the gear shift. Works perfectly. It won't come loose, it will pull up the interior piece before it lets go. While it would be a little better to have it mounted higher up, this works (at least for me) just fine It is also right next to the power port in case you want to charge and the wires won't get in the way (and will be hidden). I've included a photo and link in case anyone wants to consider.

The mount and phone does not interfere with the gear shift at all and it does not get into the way when reaching for it either. The photo is a little deceiving.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/bracketron-slydelock-dash-mount-with-charger-for-most-smartphones-black/5777000.p?skuId=5777000

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hmmm... I am in the process of moving stuff from my old car to my new Charger R/T that I bought yesterday, and when I got to the old X mount, I decided to not use it. In fact, I'm not going to mount my phone at all. With the Android Auto app I can do anything I need to do with it while it's tucked away in the center console. I can even make calls without taking my eyes off the road or my hands off the steering wheel. Unless I'm missing something not too obvious.

It looks like a great mount tho. I could use it in my other car. (Never did like that X mount)

·
Registered
575 Posts
Tcope, not a fan.
All of the usual mounting spots are not ideal. Windshield mounts block your view and can be a long reach in the charger.
Vent mounts make 1 out of 4 vents unusable. Anything below the touchscreen is too far away from your normal line of sight.
So I went with CD slot mount

·
Registered
193 Posts
been pondering a similar mount for a LCD screen for a parking camera
need one for the FRONT with my SRT and parking stoppers are just
viscous animals on the lower trim on these cars

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
That's a weird spot for a phone mount, especially if you're using it for navigation.

I have a vent mount one. Use it on the vent directly to the right of the steering wheel. It works good, but you have to be gentle with it.

I got my wife one for her Infiniti that uses double side tape. Like it much better. Much studied and also holds the phone with a magnet whereas mine uses a bracket.

I don't like the windshield mount ones, think they look tacky.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Soft velcro on my phone back and a hard verticle velcro to one side of my touch screen
(on the slightly curved edge) works good for me....almost up high, but not visible above the dash.
and easily reachable.

I have my stop watch on the opposite side curved edge next to the touch screen.
-----------------------
Velcro is cheap and light weight but I'm glad other people spent some money to help
out the booming US economy that Fake News constantly ignores because the voters
voted for a business man.
-----------------------------
My smart phone with GPS fits perfectly from the top of my horn button to the
top/side center of my steering wheel.

Soft velcro on the phone back going side to side
about an inch down, and soft velcro on the bottom edge of the phone where it sits on the horn button.

Hard velcro on the top of the horn button and on the top/side center of my steering wheel.

I can still put my hands at 10 and 2, etc to steer.
------------
and with FL about to go nuts making touching a cell phone while driving illegal,

so some kid "did not die in vain",

https://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381895

I think I qualified for hands free operation..... lol :) of my phone/GPS....

·
Registered
744 Posts
Soft velcro on my phone back and a hard verticle velcro to one side of my touch screen
(on the slightly curved edge) works good for me....almost up high, but not visible above the dash.
and easily reachable.

I have my stop watch on the opposite side curved edge next to the touch screen.
-----------------------
Velcro is cheap and light weight but I'm glad other people spent some money to help
out the booming US economy that Fake News constantly ignores because the voters
voted for a business man.
-----------------------------
My smart phone with GPS fits perfectly from the top of my horn button to the
top/side center of my steering wheel.

Soft velcro on the phone back going side to side
about an inch down, and soft velcro on the bottom edge of the phone where it sits on the horn button.

Hard velcro on the top of the horn button and on the top/side center of my steering wheel.

I can still put my hands at 10 and 2, etc to steer.
------------
and with FL about to go nuts making touching a cell phone while driving illegal,

so some kid "did not die in vain",

https://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381895

I think I qualified for hands free operation..... lol :) of my phone/GPS....
My biggest problem was solved with a razor blade removing 3/8" of velcro at the phone bottom where the

microphone hole is and where the charger cord plugs in.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a weird spot for a phone mount, especially if you're using it for navigation.
Not ideal but I don't find any issues. I use Google navigation. When something changes, I get a voice announcement. If needed, I can glance at the screen for the second or two needed. When you think about it, even if on the dash (blocking some of the view), you'd still change your focus from the road to the screen. In both cases, it is only for 1-2 seconds. The only difference is the time it takes to move your eyes down the screen and back (totals 1 second?). It is no different than looking to see what song is on the radio or what channel it is on.

I have a vent mount one. Use it on the vent directly to the right of the steering wheel. It works good, but you have to be gentle with it.
I started with that. I bought a magnetic mount, wanting easy of use. The problem was that the push in holder did not easily fit around the silver vent adjuster piece in the middle of the vent. Unrelated, the issue that I did not forsee with a magnetic mount was the need to insert a metal plate on the back of the phone. Killed wireless charging. On a lesser note, this also meant a wire hanging down from the phone across the dash if I wanted to charge when mounted on the vent. Not a big deal to most people but something like that nags at my brain (almost as much as that fake carbon insert Dodge uses in the dash). But truth is, I went with a Note 9 so I almost never plug the phone in any more anyway.

Oh, having the mount where I put it also allows me to easily use the fingerprint scanner which is on the back of the phone. But face recognition would probably work with a vent mount, but might need to slide over a little in the seat.

In any case, there are pros and cons to every mount.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
If you've got a recent vintage Charger, it supports both Apple Carplay and Android Auto. So your screen is displayed on your head unit. Why not just tuck your phone into the console or in the little cubby in front of the shifter if you don't actually need it to be visible anymore? If you've got an older charger without that capability, I've had pretty good luck with this one in my older SUV (suction cupped to the windshield):

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-...or-Mobile-Devices/160993313?athcpid=160993313

Best,

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you've got a recent vintage Charger, it supports both Apple Carplay and Android Auto. So your screen is displayed on your head unit. Why not just tuck your phone into the console or in the little cubby in front of the shifter if you don't actually need it to be visible anymore? If you've got an older charger without that capability, I've had pretty good luck with this one in my older SUV (suction cupped to the windshield):

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-...or-Mobile-Devices/160993313?athcpid=160993313

Best,
I hate anything that obstructs the windshield and in the summer the glue melts and they happen to fall of the window. i really cant stand carplay i have tried it 3 cars now and i just dont like how it takes over everything.

·
Registered
575 Posts
thank for the link.
And you were able to just wedge it in the trim? did you have to file it down at all?
I happened to have a plastic trim tool set. I got an idea of where I wanted it and stuck a pry tool on each side. The tabs just slide right in. I put it in upside down technically because when you flip the lockdown lever one of the tabs went up. You want it to go down to match the curve of the bezel.
It is not rock solid installed this way, but I've used it for over a year for my S7 with no complaints. Baby groot seems to dig it as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I happened to have a plastic trim tool set. I got an idea of where I wanted it and stuck a pry tool on each side. The tabs just slide right in. I put it in upside down technically because when you flip the lockdown lever one of the tabs went up. You want it to go down to match the curve of the bezel.
It is not rock solid installed this way, but I've used it for over a year for my S7 with no complaints. Baby groot seems to dig it as well.
Perfect!
Thanks. I happen to have a plastic trim tool kit in the shed :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts