Charger Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lol title should read "Mobile Audio GURU'S"

Well I have an extra computer laying around, so I wanted to throw it in my car. It measures 9" X 5" X 1" with a 7" screen.

It's a umpc (ulta mobile pc I think). Anyway I'd like replace my stereo with it if I can get it to fit.

My question is....Can I hook up my sound system to it? What will I need?

It is a regular computer with an 800Mhz processor, 1 gig ram, 60 gig hard drive. It has a headphone out as well as 2 usb ports. So I'm not sure if I can get sound from one of those into an amp and out of my speakers.

Please let me know what you guys think! Here are the specs and I'll post some pics.

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/...subtype=ultramobilepc&model_cd=NP-Q1UA000/SEA

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
great toy, i love also the new sony version of yours.
now as a computer, remember you have a really sensible hard drive, processor and some parts that shouln'd be having a bumpy ride, so first thing is find a really good manufacture to grab that toy to your dash but giving it some fredom to move.
do not leave the comp under the sun directly,
look for a really expensive power conversor to provide power to your pc, give it the exact voltage and amp. dont buy one of those "yea we convert everything"
my advise is: do not use that toy everyday inside your car, for a ride with your friends is ok, but if you want a good laptop for your car, there is a couple of toshibas and dell to work in the construction field, that's strong enough. every part inside is monted on springs.

hope you enjoy your toy, is cool!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
You definetly can get sound out of the computer to your speakers, but the method depends on what your car has for audio. Do you have a separate amplifier in your car or are the speakers directly powered by the radio? If you have a subwoofer, you do have an amp, so that's an easy way to know if you do have one. If your speakers are powered directly from the radio, you will need to purchase an aftermarket amplifier to power the speakers.

It's definetly easier if you have a factory amplifier. You will need a headphone cord with the plug on it. You need to cut off whatever is on the other end of that cord to get to the wires. There are three wires in the cord: L+. R+, and -. The wires to the amp are L+, L-, R+, and R-. Tie the L+'s together and the same with the R+'s. Tie the two -'s that go to the amp to the one - from the cord. You will have balance control from the computer, but not fade control (front/back).

If you don't have a factory amp and need to get one, there are some things to decide. First is what kind of amp you want: a 2-channel or a 4-channel. If you just get a 2-channel amp all of the left speakers will be conected together and all of the right speakers will be connected together (no fade, like above). If you get a 4-channel amp, you will have dedicated outputs for FL, FR, RL, and RR. You might be able to find a fade controller to go in-between the computer and the amp to give you fade with this setup.

You will also want to pay attention to the impedance (resistance) of the speakers in the car. You will want to match the numbers from the speakers up to the numbers on the amp. For a 4-channel amp, just measure the resistance between the + and - wires going to each speaker. If you are going with the 2-channel method, you have to take the resistances of each speaker and plug them into the following formula (left side shown): (FL * RL)/(FL + RL) (repeat for right side). This will give you the impedance of the speakers when connecting them in parallel to the amp (both +'s together, both -'s together) (I wouldn't connect them any other way).

Most aftermarket amps usually take RCA inputs, so you could get a Headphone to stereo RCA adapter from Radio Shack (or other parts store) that would plug into the computer and a 2-channel amplifier. For a 4-channel amp, you will have to get another set of RCA's and tie them into the above adapter so that you will have 4 total RCA connectors - 2 carrying the left signal and 2 carrying the right signal.

Let us know what you end up doing. I'm interested to find out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts