Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wuz with the european formula? that seems to be all my local auto stores carry now.......is it gonna mess something up with the 6.1? do i need to keep looking for an origional? or is it perfectly safe to use?

06 CSRT

·
Registered
59 Posts
wuz with the european formula? that seems to be all my local auto stores carry now.......is it gonna mess something up with the 6.1? do i need to keep looking for an origional? or is it perfectly safe to use?

06 CSRT

I recently got an oil change using the Mobil 1 0w/40 european formula. The guy at Kragen said it will be fine & the dealership didnt say anything & it's been running good, so I wouldnt worry about it.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I think it's called "european formula" because most (if any other) American cars don't use such a low oil weight number; whereas, many high-performance european cars do.

The key is that you use synthetic 0W-40, preferrably Mobil. At one Dodge dealership I visited, I had to educate the service manager about the SRT8's oil recommendation. For some reason, he swore we used the same oil type as the other V-8 Chargers. This is why I change my own oil.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
My wifes Crossfire has Mobil 0w-40 under the hood, Made in Germany. Only one you can use. will void warrenty otherwise.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
+1

There is only one 0w40 formula.. It is just called "European"..
My local Auto Zone has two distinctly different bottles but they are in the same rack. One is just a regular synthetic 0w40 and the other has a differently printed lable and calls itself European Blend. I think maybe they just changed the lables.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My local Auto Zone has two distinctly different bottles but they are in the same rack. One is just a regular synthetic 0w40 and the other has a differently printed lable and calls itself European Blend. I think maybe they just changed the lables.

see thats the same story with mine here, they were lined up right next to eachother........now just the one, which kinda worried me.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
and this on the mobil 1 tech sheet straight from the mobil 1 site....

Mobil 1 0W-40 is the most advanced performance synthetic engine oil designed to provide ultimate cleaning power, wear protection and overall performance. Mobil 1 0W-40, European Car Formula (NA) or Protection Formula (EU), exceeds the requirements of the leading industry and car manufacturers' standards required for newer modern gasoline and diesel powered automobile engines. The Mobil 1 Technology is race proven and the choice of NASCAR racing. Mobil 1 0W-40 is perfect for all types of vehicles anywhere in the world and has the performance reserve to protect when conventional engine oils cannot. It is the first choice at the factory for the some of the world's finest performance vehicles: Mercedes-Benz AMG, Porsche, and Aston Martin.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.asp

its talks about an (NA) and (EU) version of the oil????

·
Registered
771 Posts
FYI there is a global shortage of Mobil 1 oil right now, so I think probably folks are importing it or buying it from disties overseas, which is why the labelling is different on some.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
FYI there is a global shortage of Mobil 1 oil right now, so I think probably folks are importing it or buying it from disties overseas, which is why the labelling is different on some.
OH NO TELL ME IT'S NOT TRUE!!:lol: can you picture guys like us standing on the street corner next to porche and corvette guys like junkies looking for a mobil 1 fix:)

·
Registered
798 Posts
Why is there a shortage??? It's synethic, not Dino oil. Or is it???:shifty: :shifty:

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
It's completely synthetic. If not, then they're lying to me and I want my money back!!!

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
it's not completely synthetic. It does have some dino in it. There was a thread on this a long time ago.
Are you referring to the "European Formula", or all "Mobil-1" in the above reference. Thx

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Are you referring to the "European Formula", or all "Mobil-1" in the above reference. Thx
Dont they all start out Dino? Syn's are just alterted to last longer.
If I recall from the thread there are only a few "True Synthetic" oils out. Most so called sythetics have some dino oil in them. Like Mobil 1, Castrol, etc.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
If I recall from the thread there are only a few "True Synthetic" oils out. Most so called sythetics have some dino oil in them. Like Mobil 1, Castrol, etc.
Yes, I recall that thread. I think the OP is asking if there is any difference between the 0w-40 Mobil1 with the standard label vs. the 0w-40 Mobil1 oil with 'European Formula' on the label.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
I wonder if the "Euro Formula" is just updated packaging to capture a few more sales....

·
Registered
446 Posts
I wonder if the "Euro Formula" is just updated packaging to capture a few more sales....
Ding ding ding...

Some oils with more wear reducing agents and made for heavy load cycles they label "turbo diesel" oil to market towards the working man. There are even a lot Porsche and SRT8 owners whose cars ask for the "european" blend that use it:)

Eric

1 - 20 of 23 Posts