Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just getting the last couple things done to my 08 se as I am trying to sell it, and one of those is fixing my parking brake. A couple of month ago, I stepped on the pedal to put the brake on and POP. There was popping noise, and my parking brake has not worked since then. I can push down on the pedal and hear the clicks, so I do think it is the pedal mechanism, and I also don't think that it is the parking brake pads. I believe it is the cable. As I was checking it out today, I noticed that there is a gap where it looks like the cable may have snapped. I don't have much experience with parking brakes, so I wanted to ask if anyone knows. Should there be any gap in the parking brake cable?
I attached a picture, and it's tough to see as it is hard to fit a camera down there in such a small space, but the space where it looks like the cable is broken is right in the bracket where the cables come together. Unfortunately I could only get that angle and nothing better.

Attachments

·
Registered
626 Posts
The two pictures you took appear to be off of the park brake pedal assembly. The gap you see in the connector is normal. When you push the pedal down it should pull the cable upward. I'd look under the vehicle near the rear differential where the front cable hooks to the rear cables and make sure they are connected. If they are, then you need to pull the rear rotors and inspect the park brake shoes and hardware. You can also at the point have an assistant slowly step down on the park brake pedal and watch the shoes. They should spread out.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The two pictures you took appear to be off of the park brake pedal assembly. The gap you see in the connector is normal. When you push the pedal down it should pull the cable upward. I'd look under the vehicle near the rear differential where the front cable hooks to the rear cables and make sure they are connected. If they are, then you need to pull the rear rotors and inspect the park brake shoes and hardware. You can also at the point have an assistant slowly step down on the park brake pedal and watch the shoes. They should spread out.
Thanks for the reply! I thought this thread was dead and I am glad that you gave it life and gave me some good info. I'm selling this car right now and I want to upgrade to a newer charger R/T. This is the only defect in my 08 SE. So I would like to get it fixed if it doesn't cost too much to do. I will take a look tomorrow and see what I can find. Thanks again:beerchug:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I currently have the same scenario. Pushed on the parking brake and heard a pop, and now the brake won't work. What was your discovery, or did you just sell the car?

·
Registered
110 Posts
This just happened to me yesterday.

I finally got around to working on my parking brakes which never worked since I've owed the car. The pedal has always been loose w parking brakes never holding the car. I would also hear a bell-like rattle coming from the back from time to time going over bumps. When I went to replace the parking brake shoes and hardware kit I noticed that the original set was still all in tact. I replaced the shoes, hardware and adjusted them after replacing the rotor as. Didn't get a chance to check the cable link near the rear differential but checked the cable connection at the pedal and all looked ok.
Right now the pedal tends to grab initially then pops and sinks to the bottom. Upon brake pedal release, I would proceed to try again, and again I get the initial grab, then the pop and sink to the bottom.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts