Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i love syncing my ipod with itunes. but i hate the fact that when i hook it up to my nav to ipod adaptor, i lose so much volume! I don't know if its the adaptor or the fact that it uses the mini jack cable....but cds are sooo much louder. is there anyway around this issue? i am so sick of burning cds just to get the volume i want.

·
Registered
171 Posts
i love syncing my ipod with itunes. but i hate the fact that when i hook it up to my nav to ipod adaptor, i lose so much volume! I don't know if its the adaptor or the fact that it uses the mini jack cable....but cds are sooo much louder. is there anyway around this issue? i am so sick of burning cds just to get the volume i want.
Have you tried playing with the EQ setting on the iPod?

The problem with the iPod is that it only has a headphone jack and not a line-out jack. If you used the actual iPod adapter on the bottom that should be a true line-out... I just don't know if anyone makes a iPod connector to 1/4" jack.

Is it still bad if you turn the volume up on the iPod?

I had similar experiences with my iPods in my Saturn... I was able to compensate by selecting the "small speaker" EQ setting and turning up the volume on the iPod.

·
Registered
438 Posts
ipod playback

the problem with the ipod playback through any stereo is that youre playing a compressed music file which isnt gonna sound as good as a cd. in I-TUNES go to top left corner,click edit, preferences,advanced,importing,import using should be set to AAC encoder or apple lossless to get best playback. this will take up a ton more space than a regular mp3 but is supposed to sound noticibly better.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the problem with the ipod playback through any stereo is that youre playing a compressed music file which isnt gonna sound as good as a cd. in I-TUNES go to top left corner,click edit, preferences,advanced,importing,import using should be set to AAC encoder or apple lossless to get best playback. this will take up a ton more space than a regular mp3 but is supposed to sound noticibly better.
Not true. The files that don't sound very loud on the ipod are the same files on the CD. Everything I own is in 128kbps AAC. I guess I just need to find a cable that attaches from the bottom of the ipod.

·
Registered
438 Posts
good luck

are the cd's regular cd format or mp3 files? if they are mp3 format theyre gonna sound the same as the ipod.i have an aftermarket cd player with ipod control built in, the sound sucks the same as it did with the factory radio ipod plug. having previously been a mecp car audio installer, its a well known fact that mp3 files will never sound as good as a real cd.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Not true. The files that don't sound very loud on the ipod are the same files on the CD. Everything I own is in 128kbps AAC. I guess I just need to find a cable that attaches from the bottom of the ipod.
128 is your problem right there. everything i own is 192 or above. 128 is too low for mp3 audio, even 192 is a bit weak for a car stereo. one of the many reasons why itunes sucks is because of their crap sub 192 aac encoding. dont get me wrong, aac is good above 192...at least thats what i hear...but the sub 192 stuff is crap and well, you know that already.

go at least 192 on each mp3 file and it will sound a lot better. all of my new stuff (mp3s) are encoded 320-384 and plays perfectly on my zune.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
one of the many reasons why itunes sucks is because of their crap sub 192 aac encoding.
itunes has aiff and lossless encoding.

also - higher kilobit doesn't mean you're gonna get higher volume.

128 is your problem right there.
- i have the same file burned on a cd which plays very loud but plays not so loud off the ipod, so again...it aint the bit rate.

enjoy your zune. :silenced:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Dont wanna sound stupid, but are you adjusting the sound volume on the ipdo itself... Remember, your using the headphones output, so the master voulme will be set 1st by the ipod, then 2nd by the HU. I bought from Crutchfield an adapter that plugs into the data port on the ipod, but then goes into the wiring harness on my stereo....ont know if this is compat with stock stereos....

TB #3034 Flowmasters / Electric cut-outs / Brylcream Mod / Flashpaq SC 91 Perf / 180 therm / Viper Alarm / Clarion V765RX HU flip down DVD NAV MP3 / Tint / K&N CAI / Reversed Trunk Spacers / ESP Delete Mod / Custom painted engine cover / Waiting on Predator Diablo! Soon to come: Shaker Hood

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya I crank the ipod all the way up, and charge it at the same time too. I think if you want good volume, you just gotta do CD or some type of built in drive in the stereo.

·
Registered
230 Posts
i dont have any prob with mine. have you tried a fm modulated adapter? wally world has em for around 15 bucks

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fm adaptor? are u serious? i want you to turn it on in your car, and crank every volume knob you see to 100% and tell me how it sounds driving around town.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had the same problem. Just go to Radio Shack and get a male/male 1/4" cable and plug it into the AUX jack. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
itunes has aiff and lossless encoding.

also - higher kilobit doesn't mean you're gonna get higher volume.

- i have the same file burned on a cd which plays very loud but plays not so loud off the ipod, so again...it aint the bit rate.

enjoy your zune. :silenced:
of course its louder when burned to a cd, its burned in a diff encoding. im going to get a little bit nerdy here, so try and keep up. if you have a questions, you can ask, or just study up on the site below that i have provided.

aiff and lossless is only avail when youre burning a cd, its not the original file. the files you dl from itunes are in aac and then converted into what you need. mp4, mp3 and id3x files. higher kb means both higher, cleaner and crisper sound...that includes volume. a cheap test for this would be for you to record your voice in 128 and then in 320. convert it from mp2 to mp3 in itunes and send it to your ipod. the diff will teach you a little bit.

dude you actually have to know a lil something about encoding and the diff between a wma/wav file and an aac file.

you stock stereo cannot play an aac file...so yeah, youre not running an aac file anymore, youre running a totally diff encoding.

this is the problem with apple clones, they dont know what their talking about, they just see a product that everyone else has and thinks its the best. fyi homie, the ipod has been a second rate product for a little over 3 years now. the battery alone make the ipod a terrible purchase.

i worked at apple for 2 years on the ipod QA team, my best friend still works on the itunes program in conjunction with the new iphone. the iphone people hate the itunes people because of how bad the actual service is. no apple employee that knows anything uses a stock form of itunes. they all have hacked their ipod.

if you want to learn something about the topic at hand, i would recommend this site:

http://www.ipodhacks.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Forum&file=index

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
aiff and lossless is only avail when youre burning a cd, its not the original file.
i don't think you're hearing me. I have a 128kbps aac file running off my ipod in the car which doesnt have much volume. I also burned the same file to a CD, which yes....converts it to CD format (aiff or whatever). I am losing volume from the ipod cause of the mini jack cable or the converter.

no apple employee that knows anything uses a stock form of itunes. they all have hacked their ipod.
ok you just proved your knowledge. why would they hack their ipod if it can play aiff or lossless files already d00d??????

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
i don't think you're hearing me. I have a 128kbps aac file running off my ipod in the car which doesnt have much volume. I also burned the same file to a CD, which yes....converts it to CD format (aiff or whatever). I am losing volume from the ipod cause of the mini jack cable or the converter.
dude im trying to explain it the best i can without sounding like a complete nerd. the problem lies with the original file. you cant take an aac file and record it in a higher compression without losing quality. it all has to start somewhere.

the reason your cd is louder is because its encoding differently. aac > aiff or lossless will not make the file more crisp, clear, etc. it will make it louder on a stock stereo because its reinterpreting the frequency range for cd output.

ok you just proved your knowledge. why would they hack their ipod if it can play aiff or lossless files already d00d??????
because they dont want to use the weak 128kbps aac files. they would rather make their own mp3s in a 192+ bitrate. check out a program called LAME. its what a lot of us who ran hacked ipods used to get higher quality sound.

at the end of the day, an ipod is basically a harddrive that you can make your own. when and if you decide to hack your ipod, you will come to choose a diff OS that you can run on it. it will def be an eye opening exp for you thats for sure...it was for me.

a hacked os and ipod still doesnt make up for the ipods crappy battery though. that is why i went to another mp3 player.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what the heck are you talking about? why hack an ipod to get better audio? that makes zero sense! just rip CDs to aiff and you have the best possible quality......or run 320 aac. AAC beats mp3 or wav any day of the week.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Try This

You can set iTunes to import 44.1 kb, 16 bit, AIFF, STEREO. That way the EXACT SAME data is going onto you ipod as was on you CD. The files will be HUGE but there's always a tradeoff. I worked as a music editor on TV Drama's for many years. Most of the songs and even some of the score music in TV shows is dubbed using 192 kb MP3's. You can't tell with all the dialogue and noise in the sound track. 192 KB mp3's sound way better than whatever crappy codec sirius is using. I can't stand to listen to anything delicate on my radio. Loud stuff usually sounds better because it's easier to compress. Listen to the decay of a acoustic guitar or piano. YUCK!

The level problem is in the headphone amp in the ipod. It's designed to not blow your ear drums out turned all the way up. Just think of the lawsuits!!! I think there are adapters that plug into the bottom of the iPod and grab the LINE OUT from there which isn't attenuated. Then there's always the problem of building a preamp the size of a pea that doesn't sound bad.

All in all, I like the idea of carrying 10,000 songs in my pocket. It's not too bad for watching movies on an airplane either.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The level problem is in the headphone amp in the ipod. It's designed to not blow your ear drums out turned all the way up. Just think of the lawsuits!!! I think there are adapters that plug into the bottom of the iPod and grab the LINE OUT from there which isn't attenuated. Then there's always the problem of building a preamp the size of a pea that doesn't sound bad.
QUESTION ANSWERED.

Thanks

·
Registered
424 Posts
Check out the Belkin Auto Kit. It charges the IPOD and has a line out plug that comes from the bottom of the unit. I've had mine for a couple of years now and love it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts