Charger Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I’m looking into a used charger and I’m curious how many miles is too many on a 5.7 or 6.4?
There is no such number. The difference in engine wear between a 5 mile trip and a 500 mile trip is negligible. What's more important is how the car was driven, maintained, and stored. I'd rather have a 100,000 mile, one-owner, adult-driven Charger with complete service records showing meticulous maintenance, that was driven mostly on the highway, kept in a garage at home and at work, never driven in the snow, has no goofy aftermarket flaps, scoops, or stripes, and looks like new inside and out, than a 40,000 mile unit that started life as a rental, was repoed at one point, maybe wrecked and rebuilt, has spur marks all over it, 22" wheels, straight pipes and a CAI, smells funny, has a furry snap-on steering wheel cover, and sat outside in the weather its entire life.

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
I’m looking into a used charger and I’m curious how many miles is too many on a 5.7 or 6.4?
250K would be my upper limit. I might consider purchasing one with > 250K miles, but it better be dirt cheap and have a detailed service history I can read through at my leisure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree 100% with ctcarl.^^

I've got 140k on my 06 srt8 it was fairly well taken care of. I fixed a few small things when I first got it and I would hop in it right now and drive across the country without much worry.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
2,045 Posts
I buy new cars and have since 1990. But If I where to purchase a used car especially a Charger, well the advise given by @CtCarl is good advise.
As I agree with that advise just to give you some of mine, I also look for a car that has been taken care of , has records , babied etc. If the car is in excellent shape chances are it's been well maintained. If the car is beat up that usually shows abuse and not a care for the vehicle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts