Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I recently bought the meguiars DA drill attachment and I was wondering what the pad that comes with it is best for? As in, waxing or polishing? It's a foam pad. Will this buffer allow me to attach different pads from meguiars? I'm going to clay my car and then polish and wax it.

What pad and polish would you recommend for a factory ordered car with minimal swirling(first wash)? Pad for waxing? I know this isn't the best buffing tool in the world but it's all I can bear to spend at the moment.

My charger should be here this Monday, so I'm hoping to get this figured out before it gets here. Thanks in advance.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Take that crappy contraption back and get your money back. Then, watch the video in this thread before you mess up your paint. You'll thank me later. ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Junkman, thanks for the advice. I'm unable to watch those videos for the next few days due to my connection speed. From my understanding and watching videos on the tool I bought, it's not the best tool and it won't remove more than minor swirls, but for paint that only needs minor repairs, it's better and easier than doing it by hand. Do you have an alternative that you recommend for under $100?

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Nope. The tool you need cost around $106 new (on Amazon). but you may find it used for a lot cheaper. I would buy a used one in a heartbeat because they are built like an ox. Working by hand is for the birds but using that tool to do paint correction is like using a crescent wrench to pull a motor.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, could you please provide me with a link to it? As I said I can't watch the videos for a few days but i'd like to get it ordered. Also, the correct pads for that machine for light polishing and waxing? Thanks again I appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
You need to wax by hand. Go with a carnuba paste wax like Collinite's Super Doublecoat Paste Wax. Only $20 and you don't need any equipment to use it. Wipe on, wipe off and DON'T allow it to sit on the paint for more than 4 minutes at a time. Whatever you do, use a HIGH QUALITY cloth to remove it of you will scratch the paint to hell and back, especially if you use those crappy auto store or Costco towels. The towels that I mentioned from The Rag Company are what you want to use.

That polisher sold before I could respond to your post! Here's another option at Home Depot. At least you won't have to pay shipping. You will also need a back plate and pad. The back plate is here and you want a 5.5" white pad for light polishing.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Because you don't apply a carnuba paste wax with a machine. You apply sealants with a machine and that means more money. I'm saving you money.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha well I like the way that sounds. However, I've already purchased meguiars ultimate wax (the liquid one not the paste) i know it's more of a sealant than a wax since there's actually no wax in it. Can I apply this with the tool you linked and the correct pad?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I ordered the Polisher you like from home Depot. I also ordered the backing plate and polishing pads you linked as well as some waxing pads from the same website. I then ordered 5 edgeless rags, 3 mitts, and 2 hand waxing pads from the rag company. Seem like a good start?

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Okay, now tell me exactly what you are going to use with the waxing pads?

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
The meguiars ultimate wax which is a liquid and isn't actually a wax at all.
So you're going to buy the equipment to do it right, the polish to fix it right and then top it off with crap? For the price you are going to pay for that stuff, you could buy Collinite and end up with something that is actually going to protect your paint. What you're doing is equivalent to getting a college degree only to work as a cashier at McDonald's. Either go big or save your money and let a professional do it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok. You actually never mentioned the exact polish I need to buy to use with that Polisher and pad. I can still take back the ultimate. Is there a sealant I can use with that machine and the wax/sealant pads I purchased?

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Ok. You actually never mentioned the exact polish I need to buy to use with that Polisher and pad. I can still take back the ultimate. Is there a sealant I can use with that machine and the wax/sealant pads I purchased?

That's why you need to watch the videos. All the information is about what products to use and how to use those products is IN those videos. Since you are new to this, you don't need to be working with a sealant. A sealant takes up to 36 hours to apply, cure and wipe down. If you do it wrong, your paint with look like crap. Anyone can apply a carnuba paste wax and a carnuba paste wax is only exceeded in longevity by a sealant. So a carnuba paste wax is a LOT better than that over the counter crap that you are looking at.

Stop buying stuff until you see those videos. If you are trying to save money AND get excellent results, buy quality products that are actually going to work. The things that I suggest people buy are NOT suggested because they cost a lot of money, they are suggested because THEY WORK. Some are very inexpensive, like the paste wax I suggested and the towels you bought/

That's why I told you to use a carnuba paste wax and told you NOT to buy a waxing pad. I know where you are mentally with this project. I was you years and years ago and wish there was a Junkman to slap me silly and help my detailing-dumbass out.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
After reading about that collinite, that sounds like some pretty amazing stuff. I'm willing to do it by hand if I can get away with waxing only once every few months.
How long a wax will last is NOT determined by the manufacturer. It is determined by the elements that you expose the car to. A car in North Dakota during the winter time is exposed to a hell of a lot more harsh elements than a car in Arizona during that same time frame. So the amount of time before the protection on both cars fails is going to be drastically different. You have to take that into consideration when picking and applying your wax, as well as knowing when it is time to apply more wax. These are things that are in your future learning curve, which starts with this video:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha alright man well I appreciate you slapping me around and getting me set straight. I know you have my paint's best interest in mind.

I'm going to take back the meguiars DA as well as the meguiars ultimate. Now I'm going to buy that collinite paste wax you suggested. I guess I need to wait and watch your videos before I buy the Polish for use with the Polisher and pads you suggested. Thanks again, and when I get it all done in the coming weeks I'll be sure to post some pictures. I've already got a nice corded leaf blower so I won't have to worry about towel drying it ;-).

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Haha alright man well I appreciate you slapping me around and getting me set straight. I know you have my paint's best interest in mind.
That's what my main concern is whenever I offer advice. It might not be my car but I feel some ownership when people ask for my opinion because it's MY advice. I want my advice to be better than any they may find anywhere else. That's how my credibility was built and I don't want to let anyone down. :beerchug:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts