Charger Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i'm drivin down the street and pull up to a 06 black monte carlo ss with black 22s. the light changes green and we both take off fast. i floor it and it looks like he does too. he gains on me and my front end is at his rear tires. we come to a red light. light turns green and we're at it again :lol: for a short distance but this time i get in front of him. now another red light and i get into his lane and stop in front of him. light turns green and i floor it. he stays behind me for the 1st few seconds but gains on me at the end :grin:. by the way it rained last night so the ground was still wet. he either didnt floor it from take off so the fronts wouldnt spin or his traction control kicked in and wouldnt let him.

so i guess the monte carlos cant keep up with the sxts from a dead stop with the fwd but can beat us once up to speed. :smoke:

·
Super Moderator
11,650 Posts
An '06 SS would definitely have you for lunch if he wanted to.. :(

Sounds like he was being smart in not showing you what his machine could do in poor, unsafe conditions.
I'd have to agree with that. I owned a 2006 Impala SS before my R/T, which is pretty much the same car as the Monte SS (same engine, tranny, and specs) and it's a fast car. Not quite as fast as an R/T, but certainly faster than an SXT.

You could be right about the traction control issue, though. GM's TAC is much more intrusive than Chrysler's ESP. At least I found it to be. Probably because of the front wheel drive; it has to correct for torque steer in addition to everything else.

·
Registered
24 Posts
An '06 SS would definitely have you for lunch if he wanted to.. :(

Sounds like he was being smart in not showing you what his machine could do in poor, unsafe conditions.
Yes the SXT will lose to the SS. When my wife had her SXT she tried to race me in my 94 caddy sedan deville. We were about even at first then she fell behind. The SS is faster than my non-northstar caddy was.

·
Super Moderator
11,650 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
the monte carlo ss would smoke an sxt if he was really racing. those things are a really good match for r/t's. theres a video on youtube of a guy w/ a mango racing his wife who had a monte carlo ss. the mango lost 2 out of 3 (1/4 mile) races... both the ones he lost he had a passenger video taping though.. but w/ wet conditions i guess the FWD would be a lot slower...

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Chevy has lost all respect with the SS badge. After calling a V6 front wheel drive car a SS the GM board members should have been taken out back and shot! I think it was nothing more than a marketing gimmick to sell cars. Shame on them!

·
Super Moderator
11,650 Posts
Chevy has lost all respect with the SS badge. After calling a V6 front wheel drive car a SS the GM board members should have been taken out back and shot! I think it was nothing more than a marketing gimmick to sell cars. Shame on them!
Ummm...

I'm NOT a Chevy fan by any means (even though I've owned a few) but how is that different than Dodge doing the same thing with the R/T badge? Isn't the new Avenger R/T a front wheel drive V6???

-=FLEX=-

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Ummm...

I'm NOT a Chevy fan by any means (even though I've owned a few) but how is that different than Dodge doing the same thing with the R/T badge? Isn't the new Avenger R/T a front wheel drive V6???
-=FLEX=-
They all do it, and they all should be shot.
Putting plastic trim and fins on a grocery-getter and calling it a GT, SS, etc...is the worst of all sins.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
so i'm drivin down the street and pull up to a 06 black monte carlo ss with black 22s. the light changes green and we both take off fast. i floor it and it looks like he does too. he gains on me and my front end is at his rear tires. we come to a red light. light turns green and we're at it again :lol: for a short distance but this time i get in front of him. now another red light and i get into his lane and stop in front of him. light turns green and i floor it. he stays behind me for the 1st few seconds but gains on me at the end :grin:. by the way it rained last night so the ground was still wet. he either didnt floor it from take off so the fronts wouldnt spin or his traction control kicked in and wouldnt let him.

so i guess the monte carlos cant keep up with the sxts from a dead stop with the fwd but can beat us once up to speed. :smoke:
ss will beat an rt also. 0-60 time dif between sxt and rt 1.3 sec. ss is lighter it will kill rt also.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
ss will beat an rt also. 0-60 time dif between sxt and rt 1.3 sec. ss is lighter it will kill rt also.
Probably get different times at different sites but on this site they list the Monte Carlo 0-60 as 6 with the RT being 5.9 which makes it a very tight race with the Monte Carlo being a good bit lighter as you mentioned.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts