Charger Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had Johan switch MDS off on my last custom tune. The mileage difference doesn't seem to be very significant yet. My main issue was still seeing Eco pop up on the EVIC under light throttle/cruising. Now I thought Eco coming up indicated the car was in four cylinder mode. So I brought this up and according to Johan Eco does not mean or indicate MDS,apparently MDS doesn't have a light. He said Eco is aggressive fuel shut off when you lift the throttle. Is this true? It sounds goofy, I would shut that off if I could as well.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
So I had Johan switch MDS off on my last custom tune. The mileage difference doesn't seem to be very significant yet. My main issue was still seeing Eco pop up on the EVIC under light throttle/cruising. Now I thought Eco coming up indicated the car was in four cylinder mode. So I brought this up and according to Johan Eco does not mean or indicate MDS,apparently MDS doesn't have a light. He said Eco is aggressive fuel shut off when you lift the throttle. Is this true? It sounds goofy, I would shut that off if I could as well.

It's true. the Eco light is an indication of throttle use, not MDS. Even the later V6 engines have an Eco light but no MDS.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's true. the Eco light is an indication of throttle use, not MDS. Even the later V6 engines have an Eco light but no MDS.
Awesome, thank you. I need to get out and drive some more to see if there is still lag when I hit the gas from cruising speeds. From what I've read the major cause of the lag was the MDS.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
He said Eco is aggressive fuel shut off when you lift the throttle. Is this true? It sounds goofy, I would shut that off if I could as well.
I don't have "ECO" on my '06 but I am well aware of "fuel shut off".

I had a quick look at your sig and I see you have a loud exhaust... perfect for detecting the changes that happen when you hit the fuel shutoff or cutoff or whatever you want to call it.

Using Autostick and preferably on a downhill (but it works on level ground as well), hold the car in something like 2nd or 3rd... I think it's more noticeable in 2nd on my car, but our rear gearing may differ. Hold the engine speed at something over 2500ish and then back off the gas. Listen closely to the exhaust note as the RPM descends through as low as 1500 or so. You *may* hear it change tone, from a burbling note to a more steady bark. If you have trouble noticing the difference, try the same but from 1700 ish RPM. I've found my '06 only wants to go into cutoff if I let it fall from an RPM over 2000... starting from 1800ish won't get me that muscular growl/bark as I slow.

If you look at your PCM's data stream, you'll see that it effectively pulls back on fuel delivery. As you approach idle as the exhaust is barking under cutoff, you may notice (especially with your exhaust) a little popping just before idle as the PCM restarts the injectors and unburned fuel pops in the hot exhaust (heated up through a really lean mixture).

All my fuel injected V8s have done this, and smoothly at that. The most annoying calibration I ever experienced was on my old 1998 Civic 5 speed, where the injectors would kick back in at 1500 RPM (!) even though idle was 1000-ish. I can't tell you how ANNOYING that was when in very very slow traffic in a low gear... when the injectors would kick back in, the damned car would rock front/back due to the natural slack in the manual drivetrain. The calibrations on my 6-speed '98 Ram Air Trans Am are bang on... injector restart at something like barely 100 RPM above the car's idle, hence silky smooth.

So I wouldn't worry about the ECO thing and fuel cutoff, it's probably the nicest part of my Charger's sound when I'm autostick'ing.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay fellas well a nice Christmas present...the car threw two codes last night. I'm assuming I have an exhaust leak. I read the jba catless mids are difficult to seal to the manifold unless you buy their less than satisfying shorty headers.

The codes:
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1388002810.501896.jpg
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1388002821.232868.jpg

Are there any other possibilities? I'm pretty sure it's an exhaust leak where the connection is at the manifold. Any tips as to seal them better would be appreciated. I'll be fixing this issue myself seeing as the shop I went to twice to fix the rattles and all that obviously couldn't get the job done.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd definitely check for an exhaust leak first.

http://engine-codes.com/p0133_chrysler.html

Have you noticed any large change in your fuel consumption?
I have been getting terrible mileage..but I've been changing tunes for the past week while working with Johan...I have read that that can cause massive fuel consumption as well. When I first start the car I thought I heard an air like puff puff noise that slowly dissipated when the car warmed up. The weird thing now is when the car threw the code it wouldn't say Eco anymore...even under light throttle and cruising.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Multi-Displacement System

·
Registered
15 Posts
Eco can be turned off and it is when your car is running on for cylinders.

I have 2013 Daytona. Go into your settings and you can turn the eco light off.
Your eco light come on when MDS is engaged.

Now I am no mechanic but I deleted mid mufflers and the little drone I get is when the eco light is on so I am assuming I am running on 4 cylinders at that point because when I step on the gas the light goes off and the drone stops.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Eco can be turned off and it is when your car is running on for cylinders.

I have 2013 Daytona. Go into your settings and you can turn the eco light off.
Your eco light come on when MDS is engaged.

Now I am no mechanic but I deleted mid mufflers and the little drone I get is when the eco light is on so I am assuming I am running on 4 cylinders at that point because when I step on the gas the light goes off and the drone stops.
I turned off MDS on my 13 Daytona with my tuner and the light still comes on but the system is not going into 4 cylinder mode. The gas mileage loss is noticeable but not horrible, the reduction of the drone from the SLP catback is 100% better though. I am going to put MDS back this weekend, I am going on a long trip and need to save the gas mileage.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I turned off MDS on my 13 Daytona with my tuner and the light still comes on but the system is not going into 4 cylinder mode. The gas mileage loss is noticeable but not horrible, the reduction of the drone from the SLP catback is 100% better though. I am going to put MDS back this weekend, I am going on a long trip and need to save the gas mileage.
That's what I did. I have the same tune but one with MDS on and the other has it off. I figured I would load up the MDS tune for long trips. The MDS being off did cut down on drone and it helps with the lag when going from cruising to passing speeds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts