Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was under the understanding all 5.7L HEMI Chargers had the MDS System...

Do they all or not?

How do you know if you have it or not?

I have an 07 Charger R/T R&T

Ive been getting about 335 Miles to a tank filling up between 17-18 gallons with mostly highway driving. Is that normal w/ or w/out MDS?

Is there a light or something?

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
All 5.7's have it. I believe there's a fuel saver light on 07's that
show's when MDS is on, but I have an 06 so can't tell you much
about it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive been doing some research since I posted this...

I found that all 07 and 06 with 5.7 have the MDS...

Ive put 4200 miles on my car in just over a month, mostly freeway driving... never saw any light...

Then again, I am on the freeway usually at 80-90 MPH crusing... eh eh ...

I guess Ill open the "Manual" and see what I can find...

Its probably only on between 50-55 MPH or something silly like that huh?

·
Registered
660 Posts
All 5.7 Charger R/T's have MDS.
SRT 8 do not.

If you have a high flow exhaust system, like a borla exhaust, you can hear the switch from 4 to 8.

The MDS is activate when the car is in Automatic. But if set to Autostick, MDS is deactivated. It will run on 8 cylinders.

To go back to automatic from Autostick, just push and the hold the Stick in one direction for 2 seconds.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you have EVIC it will show up there. My mpg isn't as good as yours and I mostly drive on the freeway (85%) I also enjoy being able to get in and out of tight spaces and from behind everyone doing 55 in the left lane

·
Registered
161 Posts
EVIC is Electronic Vehicle Information Center. If you have buttons on your steering wheel for the radio controls, you have the EVIC, otherwise you don't.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
EVIC is Electronic Vehicle Information Center. If you have buttons on your steering wheel for the radio controls, you have the EVIC, otherwise you don't.

yyeah dont have steering wheel controls...

I think I have a base model R/T w/ R&T

no side air bags, no nav, no steering wheel controls...

hrmmm

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
To go back to automatic from Autostick, just push and the hold the Stick in one direction for 2 seconds.
...as long as it's not "forward". :)

(memories of that recent other thread that went haywire over a similar subject)

·
Registered
424 Posts
No light. It's on the EVIC at the screen that has the average MPG. It will either be on or off.

It also shows on the menu with the mpg bar in diagnostics mode. Economy indicates that it is on.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ive been doing some research since I posted this...

I found that all 07 and 06 with 5.7 have the MDS...

Ive put 4200 miles on my car in just over a month, mostly freeway driving... never saw any light...

Then again, I am on the freeway usually at 80-90 MPH crusing... eh eh ...

I guess Ill open the "Manual" and see what I can find...

Its probably only on between 50-55 MPH or something silly like that huh?
It depends on a few things but throttle % is the biggest. I think it is off over 18%. I have had my MDS come on at 85 MPH on a flat stretch of road.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have a 07 R/T AWD and I average right around 20mpg. Mixed highway and city driving. I find it is best between 65 and 75 mph to get best mileage. I can get the MDS to go on at 80 to 85 mph but I dont gain any mleage on the highway but don't lose it either. When I get heavy with the foot I get around 19 mpg.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
Even at 60-65 mph, MDS can deliver anything from 22mpg to 26+ depending on pedal position. It's not a magic end-all solution... it's just meant to work in conjunction with other obvious driving style changes.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you have EVIC and if you flip it to read your average miles per gallon while you're driving it'll say you're in "FUEL SAVER MODE" when MDS kicks in.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
It only says "Fuel Saver Mode" on the 07 and up from what I have seen. But to the original poster, yes 335 miles per tank is about what you can expect with the R/T. I commute about 50% highway, 50% city and I average 19 or so mpg, but my foot is pretty heavy when I'm doing the city driving. On a highway trip with the family I actually average 23.9 once.

·
Registered
268 Posts
335 miles on a tank of gas...I wish my mileage was that good. I must be a somewhat "more spirited driver" because I'm doing about 200-250 miles per tankload average.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts