Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever thought about asking a company like Diablo, to make a simple tuner to turn "OFF" MDS only?
I ask because I have read many post about MDS only questions. Yes. we can use auto stick and shift but that is a hassle, as I have a police column shifter. I would like a car to shift automatically by itself like the old ones did. All this retuning is confusing and in my case not needed. I just want the Hemi sound from a Hemi, from idle to full throttle. Is that too much to ask??
BTW, I am installing a cat-back system and air kit. I am not going to race as I am 66 yrs old and set in my ways.

Question: What sounds better than a wide open Hemi????

·
Registered
170 Posts
I believe you can turn it off with a handheld tuner... not super familiar with those as I use HPTuners.
You could also visit any shop that tunes with HPTuners and they can shut it off for you no problem with a custom tune. They can do just that if you don’t want anything else done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Sharpe:
Welcome to the forum!
I prefer to keep my cars pretty much oem, so mods are rare. The MDS does not bother me one way or the other, but it would be nice if they would have given us a switch, even if I had to cycle it with every trip.

Don

·
Registered
361 Posts
Do all the different companies do MDS the same way? Essentially starving the valve train of oil if I understand correctly? Every time that system kicks on and off is extra wear. No thanks.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
If deactivating MDS gave us a boost in horsepower I would do it but . . . .

·
Registered
170 Posts
I disliked mds on my challenger and my charger. The exhaust note change/vibration was enough to make me want to get it turned off in the first week of owning my charger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
If it weren't for the vibration and slight hesitation when it turns off, I wouldn't mind MDS on wife's RT. But, she doesn't want a tune and I don't want to pay that kind of money just to turn it off. So, yes, just enough of a tuner to turn it off would be helpful.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
There is a (*) on the "Safe and Reliable" Tab describing the MDS Manager that says its not available for engines with push start. So I dunno if it would work. Anyone have one that can verify one way or the other?

MDS Manager - Range Technology

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a (*) on the "Safe and Reliable" Tab describing the MDS Manager that says its not available for engines with push start. So I dunno if it would work. Anyone have one that can verify one way or the other?

MDS Manager - Range Technology
I have sent an email about it and will update when they respond

Reactions: ONEZ ST

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just spoke to a Tech from Range and here is the scoop.
This MDS Manager works on our cars up to 2011 with "key" start. They are working on a new one for 2012 and up, but not yet available.
At least someone is working to help us.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Thank you for following up.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I don't really have an issue with the MDS to the point of doing something about it. I like to keep my cars pretty much stock as well. I'm not a fan of cylinder deactivation, and even less of a fan of the auto shutoff/on when you come to a stop light or are sitting in traffic. It was all done by manufactures to try and squeeze out better MPG to comply with federal regulations. Thanfully those have been relaxed a bit.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Do all the different companies do MDS the same way? Essentially starving the valve train of oil if I understand correctly? Every time that system kicks on and off is extra wear. No thanks.
I don't know the mechanics behind it but read that newer GM systems do not always shut off the same cylinders. They vary the cylinders, and I'm guessing to spread out the wear.

It seems like no matter who does it that every system deactivates the valves. I'm presuming they also shut off the fuel but have never seen that mentioned.

If the deactivated valves are closed doesn't that mean the piston is always working against compression? IOW 4 cylinders are providing engine braking?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
The injectors are not active on the inactive cylinders. The cylinders affected by MDS are in the compression mode and they function like a spring compressing and expanding with engine rotation.

·
Registered
779 Posts
MDS does not create any additional wear. Valve train still gets same oil as before. Only when MDS is active higher pressure oil is fed to a specic part in the lifter to allow it to collapse. MDS has been around in the GEN III Hemi for a very long time without overall massive issues.

That being said, There are products that can turn MDS off. I just suggest getting a tuner to do it so you can get the added benefits of little extra power.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A new question for yall. I have read other post in the forums. Some people have replaced the cam and lifters and no longer have MDS. Did they have to retune the engine after rebuild?

·
Registered
779 Posts
A new question for yall. I have read other post in the forums. Some people have replaced the cam and lifters and no longer have MDS. Did they have to retune the engine after rebuild?
Have to tell the computer to disable the MDS system so yes.

Also, You can not properly run non mds lifters on a MDS camshaft even though there is few that say you can.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I was wrong about mine thinking that it only worked in "ECO" mode. I drive mine all the time in "STREET" mode, and see that it does go into 4 cyl mode at times. The confusion is that I only notice the noise/drone issue while in ECO mode, and no weird noises in STREET .

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I was wrong about mine thinking that it only worked in "ECO" mode. I drive mine all the time in "STREET" mode, and see that it does go into 4 cyl mode at times. The confusion is that I only notice the noise/drone issue while in ECO mode, and no weird noises in STREET .
Hi Wisconsin Bob, Sorry to hear you are experiencing this concern, we certainly understand why this would be concerning. We kindly recommend having your dealer inspect this concern for you as they are in the best position to assist. If you do work with your dealer, we would be more than happy to provide you with additional support.
Rob
DodgeCares

1 - 20 of 26 Posts