Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a flowmaster 40 exhaust on my car and when i purchased it 3 years ago it had really bad drone but sounded wicked. need to say i got sick of the drone and went with zoomers resonating tips and it quieted it down some. well today i went out and turned off the MDS and basically no drone at all on car. now my question is to those that have MDS off and full exhaust without resonating tips like i have do you have drone or not. I would love to put on new tips and get the deep growl back i had before.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Shouldn't have drone if MDS is turned off. The 4 cylinder thing is what causes the drone. Just like running a rice mobile with wide open exhaust, it sounds crappy. If you are always running 8 cylinders it'll be loud, and at cruising speeds it'll still be loud, but not the "tractor" sound you get from the MDS.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Stupid question, but for any of you guys that log your mileage, what's the difference running with/without MDS on?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shouldn't have drone if MDS is turned off. The 4 cylinder thing is what causes the drone. Just like running a rice mobile with wide open exhaust, it sounds crappy. If you are always running 8 cylinders it'll be loud, and at cruising speeds it'll still be loud, but not the "tractor" sound you get from the MDS.
right now since i turned off MDS and with the zoomers tips i hava absolutely no drone and is almost completely quiet. i will probably put on new tips and see what happens, shouldnt cost that much and if i dont like it i can put the zoomers back on.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have the Corsa and there is a definite sound change when MDS kicks on. It's not any louder, just different, maybe not as even of a sound when running on 4 cylinders rather than 8.

I wouldn't categorize it as a drone. I've got an old car with Flowmaster Delta 40's that has definite drone at certain rpm's and it's nothing like that.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what size tips do i need to put back on i have same pipe diameter as stock daytona. is it 2.5 and 3.5 outer diameter? what do you all run for tips on your exhaust?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts