Charger Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a 2-hour, all freeway trip and had an idea. Does anyone know of a way to get some indication or feedback to let you know when the MDS is active and you are running on 4-cyl?

It would be kinda nice to "train" myself to get better gas mileage.

If not, does anyone know what the triggers are before the MDS turns on? RPM limit? Speed? Throttle position??

·
Registered
143 Posts
One of the only ways I can tell if MDS is active or not is that I reset the MPG indicator to get an instant single take of the mpg I'm getting. If its 17 or below I figure MDS is not on because in situations where I know it should be active I see mpg values of 24+.

For me the only way to get long term activation of MDS is with the cruise control on the highway. If I'm using my foot at all in the same stretch of highway I can't keep it calmly consistent enough to not trigger it back to V8.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Also, if you don't want to go the route of a dashboard light to tell you if MDS is active or not, you can install a new exhaust kit. From what I've heard from several posters that own 300C, Magnum and Charger RTs, their new exhaust really makes a different sound when in V4 and V8 mode.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
82 Posts
gserp4sox said:
True NeedHP. I have Zoomers and there is simply no doubt when the MDS kicks in. The exhaust note is a dead giveaway.
Sorry to take this off-topic, but I thought the Zoomers exhaust didn't change tones when MDS kicked in?

·
Registered
481 Posts
with the magnaflow exhaust you can totally tell when mds is on, the car sounds like a ford fiest.

·
Registered
384 Posts
you get to the point where nobody notices but you ive been told.

·
Registered
755 Posts
SEDave said:
Sorry to take this off-topic, but I thought the Zoomers exhaust didn't change tones when MDS kicked in?
It's been said that it's a change in tone, a hardly noticable one, but a slight change. You might be confusing this with a drone, there is no drone just a tone change. A small sacrifice for all the performance and good sounds that come with Zoomers Exhaust.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Aperformance said:
It's been said that it's a change in tone, a hardly noticable one, but a slight change. You might be confusing this with a drone, there is no drone just a tone change. A small sacrifice for all the performance and good sounds that come with Zoomers Exhaust.
Ah, thanks... I will definitely be purchasing one!

Sorry again for going off-topic!

·
Registered
201 Posts
UA who,
I used the illumintated rocker switch so I could turn it off if I ever wanted to. So far, I haven't. I will say that if you mount the light (and it's a fairly bright one) in the dash, it will be very distracting, especially at night. Mine is mounted under the key and is visible between the spokes of the steering wheel. I would recommend keeping it fairly low, but visible under all driving conditions. I tried about 4 different lights before I settled on the lighted rocker switch. I used a blue one, as it didn't glare quite as much as some of the others. By the way, the light is superb, and you'll soon learn how/when/why it works and how you can improve your mileage, and be able to coax it to come on when it normally would not be on. Kinda COOL! Hope this helps in your decision making.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
MDS >>> MODULATED DISPLACEMENT SYSTEM.....
Since changing my exhaust I can hear the engine displacement change very clearly. The exhaust seems to have 3 distinctly different tones. The system will go into 4cyl below 68 MPH. When the engine goes into MD above 70, to my trained ear, it sounds like a 6cyl not a 4cyl. I have only noticed the 4 cyl mode over 70 on a near coast operation. I have noticed the same 6 cyl tone under 68 also. When it has the 6 cyl buzz tone it will "blerp" every few seconds. It sounds as if it's alternating between disabeling the 1/8 combination and the 4/6 combination ( running as a V6 with alternating sets disabled ). When in the 4 cyl mode the system will intermittantly run in what sounds like the 6 cyl mode and then back to 4 cyl.

Now if my theory is true the system is constantly "modulating" / disabeling cylinders creating V8 / V6 / V4 combinations

1 - 14 of 14 Posts