Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, with all of the suspension and tire/rim combo's everyone has out there, does anyone know what the maximum tire width our fender wells can handle, before cutting? I am speaking of strictly the stock side tires, but going a couple of mm. wider (e.g. instead of 225/60-18, I go up to 235/60-18 or even 245/60-18 with the stock rim..) would this be ok?:confused:

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
I believe the widest on a stock wheel is 255/55/18

·
Registered
581 Posts
yeah, I wouldnt go more than that!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I was thinking about keeping the front 225/60/18 on stock rims and putting 255/55/18 or 245/45/18 on rear stock. With would be a good combo?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking about keeping the front 225/60/18 on stock rims and putting 255/55/18 or 245/45/18 on rear stock. With would be a good combo?

Thats an interesting idea. So would you be using the stock wheels? Well you actually wouldn't be, since this is a staggered configuration..cool. I wonder if I can do that with the stock wheels.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can we actually go with a 55 series tire with our standard 60 series wheel?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I did a little research and I believe the best combo on stock rims would be 225/60/18 on front and 245/55/18 on rear. Can some one let me know if that is correct?

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
The widest that you could go is 255 in either a 55 series or 50 series. As for the 225/60 and 245/55 combo, they have the same overall height...which is what you're looking for. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
159 Posts
all i can find though is 255/55/18 is xl load ... doesnt that mean a much stiffer ride these tires are intended for small suv's

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
all i can find though is 255/55/18 is xl load ... doesnt that mean a much stiffer ride these tires are intended for small suv's
It's an suv size tire...so the xl reflects the sidewall re-inforcement for heavier loads from the suv. Yes, this translates into a stiffer ride because of the stiffer sidewalls...thus absorbing less road irregularities, and transmitting them to the driver and passengers, as the sidewall does not flex so much as the other tires. You do have to remember though that stiffer sidewalls mean better road hold in cornering...which is equal to faster speeds through corners. What's wrong with that?!!!:grin:

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Nuthin wrong with my 285's in the rear.. :smoke:
you have them things on stock rims??? No shop around here would even consider those for my car...don't want to be liable for any mishaps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have 265/35-22 at all four corners, with no rubbing. I know you are looking to keep your stock rims, but incase you are thinking about upgrading down the road, there is plenty of room to grow. Plus it fills the fender wells nicely. Anyone with 22's will tell you that! So many options though. Good luck.

·
Registered
159 Posts
we do have some heavy ass vehicles and weight just as much as some suv's i just dont want a horrible nauseating ride feeling every bump in the rd

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
we do have some heavy ass vehicles and weight just as much as some suv's i just dont want a horrible nauseating ride feeling every bump in the rd
Listen, I rode all the way to Cape Cod, MA in August on them...they weren't bad at all...and that was a good 8 hour drive.

i am running 255-50-18 on all four. No problem. Stock rims.
Are you running the Toyo STs? I considered those but decided on the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s. I love 'em...how are the Toyo's, if that's what you're running?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i am running 255-50-18 on all four. No problem. Stock rims.
That's excellent. But will it look a bit strange with less tire height using stock suspension? I would imagine you would need shorter springs to alleviate the fender gap, right? I guess I would need to see how that would look..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts