Charger Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I get into the details of this thread I fully acknowledge my actions were potentially dangerous and irresponsible. That said, about 4am the other morning I was on my way home from work. If anyone is familiar with Austin, Texas I got onto the upper deck of I-35 just north of downtown heading north bound. It was there that I realized I saw no taillights in front of me and I was alone on the deck. This meant I had about 3 miles of open road with no potential radar points with dry weather. I decided to open her up. I have the road and track package and have previously gotten up to 132mph on the same stretch of highway. this time I stepped on it hard. By the time I could see myself quickly approaching another vehicle about 300yards ahead, I was up to 138mph and eased off the accelarator to slow down. It seemed as if my Charger would have easily gotten up to 150mph as the rpm's were only in the 4800-5000 area. I had previously heard our R/T with the Road and Track package were governed at 134mph. I obviously went beyond that. Anybody know what the actual max is?

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Yep 148 is all I have gotten out of mine

·
Registered
928 Posts
yep electronically limited to 148, you wont bounce off the redline it just wont go any faster. unless you have a tuner then im thinking 150-155 it would top out. ive seen a vid of an srt8 hitting 168 though.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Before I get into the details of this thread I fully acknowledge my actions were potentially dangerous and irresponsible. That said, about 4am the other morning I was on my way home from work. If anyone is familiar with Austin, Texas I got onto the upper deck of I-35 just north of downtown heading north bound. It was there that I realized I saw no taillights in front of me and I was alone on the deck. This meant I had about 3 miles of open road with no potential radar points with dry weather. I decided to open her up. I have the road and track package and have previously gotten up to 132mph on the same stretch of highway. this time I stepped on it hard. By the time I could see myself quickly approaching another vehicle about 300yards ahead, I was up to 138mph and eased off the accelarator to slow down. It seemed as if my Charger would have easily gotten up to 150mph as the rpm's were only in the 4800-5000 area. I had previously heard our R/T with the Road and Track package were governed at 134mph. I obviously went beyond that. Anybody know what the actual max is?
BTW, you were only in 4th gear at those 4800-5000 rpms going 138.

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
I read in a car mag(Motor Trend I think) a couple weeks ago that the 350 horse 5.7 hemi with a tuner would top out at 154.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I've done 155 on a dyno. We were testing top end. Guy had the dyno set up to simulate wind resistance. This was also in 4th gear....couldn't get it to change.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BTW, you were only in 4th gear at those 4800-5000 rpms going 138.
Thanks for the info guys! very interesting. It just blew me away to be driving that fast. My previous two vehicles were Jeep Wranglers. Those bad boys struggled to do 75mph. I had previously topped out at about 110 in an Intrepid I rented back in 1997. The governor on that car stopped me at that point. I was just amazed at how strong the Charger still felt at 138. It was in no way struggling. I was flooring it, but it was smoothly pulling up the speedometer. If the Road and Track package and Daytonas pack that much punch, the SRT drivers must ride around looking like they are doing G-Force experiments.

·
Registered
928 Posts
not sure what you mean by "if the RnT and Daytona pack that much more punch" the R/t should be able to do the same thing for the most part. the cars are electronicaly limited, mind you the r/t is just lower than the Rnt and Daytona. (unless you are comparing the charger to the intreped, really? come on!)

and yes the SRT has a bit more punch but at the top end I would guess that leads to about 15mph over the daytona. its getting there that it does a bit faster. that and well, stopping. =)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
not sure what you mean by "if the RnT and Daytona pack that much more punch" the R/t should be able to do the same thing for the most part. the cars are electronicaly limited, mind you the r/t is just lower than the Rnt and Daytona. (unless you are comparing the charger to the intreped, really? come on!)

and yes the SRT has a bit more punch but at the top end I would guess that leads to about 15mph over the daytona. its getting there that it does a bit faster. that and well, stopping. =)
well what I mean is that the Road and Track package and Daytona's are configured slightly different than the standard R/T. With that said, I made an assumption that the electronic limitation on top speed may be a few mph higher on those two models than the standard R/T. I am sure it would not be night and day different but maybe 5-10mph more. Someone on this forum is bound to know. And I am fully aware that the Charger and Intrepid are vastly different cars that merely share the same parent company. I was not comparing the two. I simply stated that my previous top speed in a vehicle was around 110mph in an Intrepid I rented in 1997. The fact that the car was an Intrepid was a pure coincidence and not meant for comparison. My previous post was an announcement of the delight I felt from driving my Charger that fast. It was in no means meant to belittle an R/T (which is 99% the same as the Road and Track package or Daytona), or foolishly compare Intrepids to Chargers.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Regular Hemi Charger = 128, as I recall, compared to 148, so its an 18mph difference. These are Not driven by power, 10hp isnt that great a difference. What decides these is the tire the car comes with.

If the vehicle comes with tires rated to 130mph, then 128 will be the limit set in the computer. The R/T pack and Daytonas come with tires rated for 150, hence the 148 limit. Since SRTs come with tires rated to 186, I think, then its a moot point:)

·
Registered
368 Posts
I think the limiter is set based on the speed rating of your stock tires. R/T=120 something, Daytona/R/TwR&T=140 something, SRT=170 something(?). If you're running stock rubber I would not recommend going higher than the limiter allows for any length of time. Sure would be nasty to shred a tire apart going that fast, or to damage the integrity of the tire and it shreds sometime later. I'm sure the R/T could exceed the 120 something limit whether it had V or Z rated tires or not, but I wouldn't do it without them. Just like I would not exceed the 140 something in the Road and Track without "Z" rated tires.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I think the speed limiting is set by the ti.....o guess thats been covered ;)

yeah, get a tuner, get z rated tires, try not to die, let us know what you got it up to =D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.