Charger Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always read or heard about having a "matching numbers" vehicle that had been found or restored. Seems I hear it more in relation to Mopars from the late 60's to mid/late 70's
From what I understand, this is where the serial numbers stamped on the engine block, frame, transmission, etc all match what was listed on the build sheet, correct? or is the VIN actually on the engine, trans, etc?
I was just curious if this is something that only applies to older(60's - 70's) vehicles, or if this would also apply to the newer Chargers? How would you determine if your newer(06+) Charger is a "number matching" vehicle?
Where would I locate all of this information assuming it was available for a newer Charger?
Inquiring minds wanna know...lol

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
I've always read or heard about having a "matching numbers" vehicle that had been found or restored. Seems I hear it more in relation to Mopars from the late 60's to mid/late 70's
From what I understand, this is where the serial numbers stamped on the engine block, frame, transmission, etc all match what was listed on the build sheet, correct? or is the VIN actually on the engine, trans, etc?
I was just curious if this is something that only applies to older(60's - 70's) vehicles, or if this would also apply to the newer Chargers? How would you determine if your newer(06+) Charger is a "number matching" vehicle?
Where would I locate all of this information assuming it was available for a newer Charger?
Inquiring minds wanna know...lol

Thanks!
The modern engines have numbers stamped on them that can be tied to the original build sheet. The engine identification number is XXXXX on the rear of engine block just below the left cylinder head.

You need the original build sheet to confirm that the engine was used in the original assembly of the vehicle. You would have to get that from Chrysler.

On the old cars (60s and 70s) a copy of the build sheet was in the car, usually tucked under the rear seat. With it, the engine numbers could be confirmed. AFAIK, no such copy is included inside the modern vehicles.

Attachments

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a build sheet that Dodge emailed to me, but the only number on there is the VIN; the engine is listed, but no serial number.
Would there be another "build sheet" other than the one that is no longer left under the back seat?
Would the original window sticker have the serial numbers?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
I have a build sheet that Dodge emailed to me, but the only number on there is the VIN; the engine is listed, but no serial number.
Would there be another "build sheet" other than the one that is no longer left under the back seat?
Would the original window sticker have the serial numbers?

Thanks!
The build sheet you got was a summary of options and equipment, not a true "build sheet". Only Chrysler has that. It has the part numbers of every single part on your vehicle as built. For ID numbered parts, they are also included on the factory sheet. There is a reason all of the major parts have an ID bar code tag on them. The manufacturing process uses them to confirm the part, part number, and ID number (if applicable) as they are installed on the production line. The window sticker doesn't have that information. It's in the Chrysler data base.

Imagine that you need your engine replaced under warranty. Chrysler will verify that the engine that is in the car is actually the one it came with and that you didn't replace it previously out of a junkyard. Otherwise, they won't cover it. Same with all of the other major components.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Several major components will have a VIN tag on them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts