Charger Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, they've been a lot of good jokes about this but I do think that for a car with the battery in the trunk, having no outside mechanical way of unlocking the trunk lid is a pretty silly design fault. If you do keep a lithium battery jump starter pack in the car it will likely live in the trunk also......
I had a completely dead battery in an airport carpark that completely failed between parking the car to get on my flight and returning to it next day. I returned to the car with a new battery but quickly realized that the only way of getting to the dead battery was by climbing into the trunk via the lowered back seats and pulling on the emergency release inside the trunk lid. This was NOT a good procedure to have to do in the middle of an airport car park especially with cars parked close at the side of the Charger! Have all Chargers had the emergency inside trunk release? I seem to remember these were only required by law after someone died in a locked trunk but I can't remember when that was.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I think the owners manual should include a pic of owners trying to shimmy into the trunk to open when the battery went dead...Especially when AAA arrives ...and says.."Not my job",.,,,

·
Registered
824 Posts
If you have a dead battery, and need a jump, nothing changes. You don’t start with “replace the battery”. The cars are jump started from the front. The battery being in the trunk greatly increases its lifespan. If dead battery and inability to get in trunk is a big concern, buy one of those little jump starters and stuff it in the seat back.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My battery wasn't 'flat" (that is discharged) - it had actually completely failed overnight and this sort of failure unfortunately does happen with modern batteries. There is no warning such as lower than normal cranking speed when starting as there used to be with older types of battery. So, a replacement battery was the only option. Unless you carry a jump starter (and remember to keep it charged up, AND carry it inside the car) sooner or later many owners are going to be faced with the "back seat - trunk shimmy". I rest my case that this is a design fault! It would not be difficult for Dodge to include a trunk lock operated by the emergency key that unlocks the driver's door, but I guess the bean counters vetoed it for cost reasons.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
My battery wasn't 'flat" (that is discharged) - it had actually completely failed overnight and this sort of failure unfortunately does happen with modern batteries. There is no warning such as lower than normal cranking speed when starting as there used to be with older types of battery. So, a replacement battery was the only option. Unless you carry a jump starter (and remember to keep it charged up, AND carry it inside the car) sooner or later many owners are going to be faced with the "back seat - trunk shimmy". I rest my case that this is a design fault! It would not be difficult for Dodge to include a trunk lock operated by the emergency key that unlocks the driver's door, but I guess the bean counters vetoed it for cost reasons.
Actually no, bean counters were not involved. Its a security issue. No lock to "punch" out and steal everything in your trunk.

For the added security, I'll live with the trunk shimmy if my battery ever should fail and jumping won't open it. It's so rare to completly fail that it is really almost a non issue.

No way for a manual remote release either, because the latch is on the deck lid, not the body, so no way to route a cable like the hood release.
As for a jump pack "need to be recharged all the time" mine sits for 6 months and does not go dead, so again not really an issue.
Just get a good jump pack like the ones from NOCO like the geniuse boost models.

Get a good battery and forget about it, it not worth the agrivation of worrying about. Life has far more important things to consider.

Take care man and all the best in the new year!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
My other car, a Honda Civic which cost about half what the Charger cost, has an inside release. It is located on the parcel shelf behind the left-rear headrest & near the child seat anchor. The latch is on the deck lid. The cable is zip tied to the left side deck lid hinge, along with the wire harness to the deck lid lights.

The hinge mechanism is very similar between the two cars. The Charger's hinges are larger & covered & therefore hide the wiring to the tail lamp. They could easily run a thin cable along with the wiring, or use the other hinge.

The Charger's emergency release handle pulls to the right. Maybe it's possible to attach a cable to it & run it along side the right deck lid hinge up to the parcel shelf area. Fasten it to the underside of the parcel shelf behind the rear seat & hidden from view.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I don't dispute that can happen. It is however a very rare mode of failure. Generally internal impedance gradually goes high, and the battery cannot start the vehicle. It can however run accessories at some level - certainly to the point of having sufficient current availability to operate the trunk lock solenoid. In a 2011- current Charger, even trying to kill the battery by leaving the vehicle headlights on, and leaving the car in "On" mode without it running results in auto shutdown.

Curious how you determined that there was no hope for the battery? You would have had to jump start the car first and then determine that the battery wouldn't restart the car after several minutes of charging with terminal voltage from alternator at sufficient voltage. Then you could declare the battery fatal with the sudden death syndrome that you described.

Bottom line, if your car has a dead battery for whatever reason, on any car, you are going to have to jump start it first just to confirm that the battery really is bad. Electric trunk unlock (only) doesn't change anything with regard to getting the car running again in the event that the battery cannot crank the car. Tow trunk, taxi, other person in parking lot can jump the car from the front. If you decide that you need to change the battery with no further diagnosis because you know it has died suddenly - again, a very rare occurrence that it would go wide open - then spend the $10 wherever you buy the replacement for the cheapest set of jumper cables they sell - AZ, AA, and WM all have them.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
You’ll see a loop and just pull towards front of the car.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts