Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just cannot believe this. This task has the difficulty level of an oil change.

I'm this close (holds thumb and forefinger 1/2" apart) to selling all my tools because I'm apparently incompetent when it come to their use.

I bought the Mopar engine block heater since I now only drive my Charger less than a mile to the train station and then hop a train to get to work. The idea of letting my car idle for longer than I drive it on a normal workday seemed stupid to me so I figured the engine block heater would be a great way to have the car loosey goosey when I start her up in the bitter cold chicago metro winter mornings. So two weeks ago I had some time to work on the car so up on the ramps she goes. After 20 minutes or so getting used to working the in the cramped area on the driver side of the engine block while trying to not touch the warm cat pipe and dealing with the steering gear/connection to the steering column I decide that there is no way the heater plug will fit into its corresponding slot in the block due to a light layer of corrosion on the cast iron block. It's a great design, although the placement leaves much to be desired.

I take a different car down to the autoparts store and buy a brake cylinder hone. Never had a reason to own one, worked like a charm. After a few passes while attached to a power drill the heater plug was sliding in with ease. Now to fasten the sucker down. The bolt hole (exposed to the elements i might add) is almost directly above the heater element plug hole when looking up from underneath. After futzing around with the position of everything for a few minutes I finally get the heater plug in position and the bolt started by hand. I jockey a 10mm socket with a u-joint and a couple of extensions into place and begin to lock it down. I can only get a couple of clicks on the ratchet due to the confined area. After a few turns I notice that I'm putting more force on the bolt than I should be and turning it is getting more difficult in a bad way. So I back it out and turns out I bent the freaking bolt.

Seeing as how I have a messed up bolt I call it for the day and wait for the workweek to call MPSC up to see if they can help me find a P/N sure enough there is one for that bolt to which Joel gives me and tells me its not worth it to pay for shipping and that I should just get it locally. A phone call and week later I have two bolts and I am ready to try it again. I even went to trouble of finding the size and thread pitch of the bolt and pulled a tap just in case I screwed up the threads.

On the second go around I decide to start the bolt without the heater plug in place as it makes for awkward wrench position. Without it I was about to get up there and be solidly perpendicular to the bolt. My reasoning was I would run it through to clear the threads to make the actual fastening of the heater plug would go easier. Things are going peachy as I slowly sink the bolt which comes with what seems to be its own red threadlocker on it. But its already dried and makes turning the bolt more difficult. I decide to back it out once I get halfway through the dried thread locker and to clean the rest off to make it easier. I would use my own still liquid threadlocker on it.
After cleaning it off I hand start it again and start sinking it. I get a couple of threads past where I previously been and then I feel the wrench suddenly lose resistance.

Most of you should know what this means. It means bad news bears.

I try to gently reverse the bolt out but the damage has been done. It snapped practically flush to the block. There is absolutely no way I would be able to get in there to drill it out then retap the sucker. Looks like I got an engine block heater I can't use.

What kills me is that I've driven nearly 10's of thousands of screws and bolts and I've never had a bolt break like this on me before. I was contemplating buying a similar bolt but in grade 8 steel (hell of a lot stronger than whatever this bolt was) but decided not to as I figured that the first time was a fluke. I feel like such a bonehead, I wasn't even cranking on the thing I was being really cautious. I'm almost too embarrassed to even go to the dealer on this one. I have no idea what its gonna cost me now that the bolt is stuck in the block.

At this point I'm not sure what to do. I guess I could swallow my pride and go to my dealer or I can just JB weld the sucker on.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
ow...ow...ow...ow... :sad: I feel your pain, buddy.

Best of Luck with it. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Ouch! Hopefully you can come up with a "Plan B" that doesn't require the use of an engine hoist (although I know a guy here in Bartlett who has one available...).

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ouch! Hopefully you can come up with a "Plan B" that doesn't require the use of an engine hoist (although I know a guy here in Bartlett who has one available...).
I think Plan B would be to dive into my wallet at this point, I don't have the time or the resources to fix this one myself. I have some warranty work that I would like to get taken care of, I'll probably see what Feeny Dodge gives me as a quote for the work.

Wanna buy a new block? :smoke:

Any pics of what you're working with here?
A new engine block could possibly be the costliest fix to the busted bolt problem... I like the way you think Matt. Might as well toss in a stroker with some fancy heads and a lopey cam.

I took a few pics. I'm finishing up some work that I took home for the weekend and have procrastinated on and have to get done. I'll put them up in the next few days.

The only way I see this getting fixed (properly that is... there is always JBweld) is to put it up on a rack remove the midpipe and only then will you have a little more room to work in order to drill out and then tap the hole. Removing the steering rack might help.

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
you'll figure it out... you're one of the most knowledable guys on here:beerchug:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts