Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my R/T yesterday, pictures coming soon. One question that came to mind after leaving the dealership is the maintenance schedule. The dealer told me to use "Schedule B" (every 3,000 miles) which I've been told by other mechanics is an absolute waste of time and money unless you're at the track all the time, driving in extreme heat/cold regularly, etc. In reading the owner's manual, none of those things seemed to apply to me, however, I had to sign stating that I'd do regular maintenance according to Schedule B or my warranty may be voided / not honored.

I guess my question is, has anyone run into problems with this? I believe 4,000-5,000 is more appropriate for oil changes with newer cars (well, aside from the initial period when things are breaking in.) I think telling people 3,000 is a money grab on the part of the service departments. However, if I decide to stretch the schedule, it seems like they could force me to pay for warranty repairs. Has this happened to anyone?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm running Amsoil XL-7500 5W-20 with the SDF-42 oil filter. Changing the oil every 7500 miles will be the normal. K&N air filter installed. I would suggest running only synthetic oils and fluids. Changing the oil was a snap, only took me about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
My dealer gave me free oil changes for the entire warranty period. Haven't really looked to see what the mileage period was for. Planned on getting it changed when I get back to Georgia next weekl anyway...will have about 4300 miles on her. 96% cross-country expressway!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the tips guys. Though, my real question is related to what dealers will do if I fail to adhere to their idea of what the maintenance schedule should be, particulary in terms of warranty implications. My last car was a Ford and I never had problems with them asking for a maintenance log or anything, but my Dodge dealer told me that if I don't follow "Schedule B" for maintenance it could cause warranty issues. Is this true, or is he just trying to pump up business at the service dept?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sounds like your dealer service tech is looking at job security. Schedule "B" is for extreme conditions, and very rare for normal every day operations. To be honest, I would go with Schedule "B "only if I stuck conventional oil and fluids and schedule "A" for the synthetic application.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Does the Charger have the 7/70 powertrain warranty? I can't find any info whatsoever on their website about the warranty.

·
Registered
630 Posts
No. 3/36000 from what I have read.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Dutch said:
Does the Charger have the 7/70 powertrain warranty? I can't find any info whatsoever on their website about the warranty.
chrysler and dodge dropped the 7/70 powertrain warrenty for 06 model year..... I know what has been posted as to why, but personally as a consumer... I take the lowering of the warrenty as DCX saying that they dont trust thier cars/trucks to remain reliable that long.... that said I am getting my charger.... but very disappointed that they are deleting this....

Some will say just buy an extended warrenty.... well.... to get an extended warrenty costs about what? $1500-2000? Did DCX lower prices for 06? nope... did they raise prices for 06? Darn tootin they did... So to get the same coverage in an 06, how much will that 06 cost me compared to if it was an 05 model? (use the magnum or 300 for this). Granted the Magnum MSRP for an 05 to an 06 is a $200 increase... but for what you loose... in reality they incresed the price for the consumer by $2500 + or -

(sorry for my dismay.... as I said... just not happy with DCX on this topic.... up until now I had used it as ammo against crappy GM engineering with putting a tranny made for a 3000 lb car in a 7000 lb truck... but the deletion of this warrenty concerns me as to DCX's true reliability)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
DAYTONA_R/T said:
Some will say just buy an extended warrenty.... well.... to get an extended warrenty costs about what? $1500-2000?
I extended mine to 6/60 of Chrysler's "Max Care" with no deductable for $1200. To just extend it to 5/50 would have been $1170 or so, so for $30 extra I get the 6th year. To go to 7/70 was a big jump to $1420, so I passed on that. Might have still been worth it for that 7th year, but who knows if the car'll be mine by then. $50 to transfer it to another owner, BTW. With deductables, those prices go down some, but not enough for me to justify it. I figure I'd rather pay a little more now than be hit with multiple $100 or $50 deductables.

I know what you're saying though, having 7/70 included would be awesome. Unfortunately, there was no Charger last year, so... Gotta suck it up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
at my dealership lustine dodge they give lifetime powertrain if u do all the service on plan b at their dealership

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
DAYTONA_R/T said:
chrysler and dodge dropped the 7/70 powertrain warrenty for 06 model year..... I know what has been posted as to why, but personally as a consumer... I take the lowering of the warrenty as DCX saying that they dont trust thier cars/trucks to remain reliable that long.... that said I am getting my charger.... but very disappointed that they are deleting this

(sorry for my dismay.... as I said... just not happy with DCX on this topic.... up until now I had used it as ammo against crappy GM engineering with putting a tranny made for a 3000 lb car in a 7000 lb truck... but the deletion of this warrenty concerns me as to DCX's true reliability)
Actually, the 7/70 powertrain warranty covered almost nothing that usually goes wrong...only internally lubricated engine and transmission parts were covered, and it had a $100 dollar deductable...working for a Dodge service department I can tell you that we run a warranty % of about 9-11. Which means only 1 out of 10 cars we see is for warranty. Plus DCx is great at extending warranty periods for certain parts if there have been lots of problems. An example: 02 and 03 caravans with front and rear a/c have an extended warranty on the a/c system up to 80,000 miles, because of problems. Why do you think the second tier car companies like Kia and Hyundai and Suzuki have theese warranties? It's to try and reverse years of bad pub on their cars. How long is toyota's warranty? Nissan? Honda? Ford?
As far as the Charger is concerned, the only problem we have seen was a minor adjustment on an e-brake pedal. We almost never see any Magnums. As far as what schedule to follow ask yourself these questions:
1. Have three or more cold starts in a day?
2. frequently drive your car on trips of 10 miles or less?
3. periodically get stuck in stop and go traffic?
4. drive in dusty of extreme temprature conditions?
5. drive with heavy loads?
6. drive in the mountains?
If you answered yes to one or more of those questions, you are a severe driver and should adhere to the schedule "B".
B.T.W. this doesn't come from DCx, it comes from the council for automotive reliability.

·
Registered
352 Posts
oil and filters are cheap so why take the chance going from 3000 to 5 or even 7000 between oil n filter changes.if you drive 15000 miles a yr then at 3000 miles u have 5 oil changes and at 5000 u got 3 oil changes and at 7000 u get 2 so u mite save 50 to 75 buxs a yr its not worth it. change every 3000 and dont penny pinch.

·
Registered
177 Posts
On the Hemi w/MDS Chrysler is very specific about what oil to use 5W20. Which is fully synthetic motor oil. Even regular motor oil can last more than 3k and most recent cars recommend changes longer than 3k. Most name brand full syth oils are fine for changes at 6k and more. Some I've read trust using full syth changes at 10-25k but I wouldn't trust waiting that long myself.

Some recommend just changing your oil at set intervals no matter what your milage. Usually in the spring and the fall, because most people drive more in the summer but they are longer trips in warmer weather. While winter driving consits of more cold starts and shorter trips.

One other thing to check is some oils offer protection even if you do the oil changes yourself. And remember with a brand new car its best to leave the factory installed oil in the car for 3k miles. This helps make sure you don't have any engine problems that the dealership can try and blame on you.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
chargershed said:
As far as what schedule to follow ask yourself these questions:
1. Have three or more cold starts in a day?
2. frequently drive your car on trips of 10 miles or less?
6. drive in the mountains?
If you answered yes to one or more of those questions, you are a severe driver and should adhere to the schedule "B".
B.T.W. this doesn't come from DCx, it comes from the council for automotive reliability.
1. Have three or more cold starts in a day? YES (At least in the winter)
2. frequently drive your car on trips of 10 miles or less? YES
6. drive in the mountains? YES

Holy rusted metal Batman...I am an at risk/extreme conditions driver.

Thanks for the insights Chargershed

·
Registered
303 Posts
Not to hijack your post, but this is on the subject.....Where is everybody going for oil changes? back to the dealer or to jiffy lube?? or self job??

S.D.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
tonycpsu said:
I had to sign stating that I'd do regular maintenance according to Schedule B or my warranty may be voided / not honored.
This is what concerns me. AFAIK, this is just flat wrong, and may even be illegal.
Could you scan and post this paper? After deleting your name of course, and the name of the dealer? What this is doing is blackmailing you into buying a bunch of possibly uneeded service from them.

My cars all recieve severe service schedule, but thats becuase of how I drive, and I do it all myself. Nobody cares about my cars like I do :)

Just like breakin, just follow the book. If you fall under severe service, follow that. At 35-40 for an oil change with full synthetic, and a high quality filter done yourself, its cheap insurance.

Other maitianenece is usually pretty easy, requiring a can of spray white lithium grease, and some other odds and ends. If anyone of our mechaincally inclined friends want to post how-tos for some of the items, that'd be cool.

I can once I get my car, but thats most liklely not til Aug or so.

·
Registered
77 Posts
DCX tells us to follow the book for mantinance. You can do an oil change every 3000 miles or 6000 miles whichever you choose. You do not have to return to the dealer for this if you do not want to, you may change your own oil if you wish, or you may choose to go to a quick lube. However if you do not use the dealer for service, please keep records that you had the work done. ie: sales slips, recipets ect. ect.

Chrysler dropped the 7/70 for two reasons, first of all nothing is free there is a cost for them to underwright the warranty, they belive it is better money spent on improving the product and bringing better products to the market. Read the news Ford and GM are in big trouble, and Chrysler should be using the ad line "moving foward" not Toyota. Another reason for losing the 7/70 is people as an average only keep there cars for 3-4 years before trading. Chrysler truly believes they can spend the money in better ways.

·
Registered
355 Posts
So how difficult is it to change the oil out on the charger. Can anyone let me know. I will have a SRT8 and would like to know if you guys think, change the oil at 1,000, then again at 4,000, then switch to synthetic. From what I understand this is the best bet. Also what do I need to remove from the bottom of the car and oil type, and how many quarts?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I picked my car up last Friday, and during the de-briefing, it was explained to me the Chrysler has designated the Chicagoland area as requiring Service Schedule B. I read the requirements myself, and I did not think that I fell into this category, but whatever. I have the same concerns. I did, however, ask the sales person the following question: "If I do not follow the Maintenance Schedule as defined in Service Schedule B, will my warranty be voided?" His response was "I don't know". When I get a chance I'm going to speak with the Service Manager to get a definite "yes" or "no" answer.

Does anyone know if DCX has an official stance on this issue?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts