Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 09 charger and my moms 05 grand cherokee are both brilliant black crystal. now, i love the color, but i hate maintaining it. i've been really trying to stay on top of cleaning the charger as much as i can between rain storms, where as the grand cherokee will sit for a few months at a time all dirty and crap. but hey, thats on my mom. :biggrinjester:

so now for my point: even when i clean my car, i still see spots. i'll usually go to a reputible motorized car wash, wash and wax. i just recently clayed the whole car, and followed it up with a hand glaze. came good, but not great. so i'm curious. what have all you guys found to be the best product/procedure for getting a nice clean shine out of this paint color. i've been kind of curious to try this turtle wax black box kit but i haven't heard any reviews on it.

any help is greatly appreciated. :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
2,133 Posts
I've been pretty happy with Zaino products: http://www.zainostore.com/

I washed my car with dishwashing detergent, then clay bared. The followed on with a couple of the polishes applied with my Griots random orbital polisher. And finally hit it with the spray - I forget all the numbers but its like z5 z6 z7 or so.

The nice part is, washing with the zaino car wash and following with just the spray maintains all of the work. A friend of mine got me started with it and I've been pretty happy with it.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Moved thread to the detailing washing waxing sub forum...

Watch junkman's videos on how to fix and maintain the finish. you're brilliant black will be looking brilliant in no time :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have used the Turtle Wax Black Wax package for 2 years now. Stuff is awesome. Leaves no white residue in all edges too. Fills in minor imperfections and really creates a depth to the brilliant black.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Knowing what you mean by "I still see spots" would be helpful. If you're talking water spots they stubborn deposits, etching, or will they wipe off with some spray detailer or spray wax?

If you're only using a hand glaze, you should top that with a recommended product for protection -- usually that's a pure carnauba wax, and in this case I really like Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba Wax paste. A pure wax will protect the benefits of the glaze and protect your paint.

Claying the vehicle would be worth considering -- does it feel rough? Are you following with a Pre-Wax Cleaner before the glaze? A Pre-Wax Cleaner will safely clean and polish the clearcoat.

If you go this route, once or twice a year you would Clay, Pre-Wax Cleaner, Sealer & Glaze, and Pure Carnauba Wax. As needed, you might freshen the wax ever 4-6 weeks or so; glaze followed by wax if necessary.

If you're going to have a car wash do your routine maintenance (even if you're not), carry a quality microfiber towel some instant detailer with you and inspect the car shortly after you drive off the lot to pick up any rogue water drips, if that's your issue -- there's absolutely no way to stop them completely, but you can clean up after them and prevent them from causing problems.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
If your using a touch drive through wash your just jacking up your paint and it's gonna be a swirled mess in no time. Touchless washes are great if you never let any grime build up then you need to hand wash with a good mitt and a bucket with a grit guard to prevent any damage.

Start reading junkmans threads.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
If your using a touch drive through wash your just jacking up your paint and it's gonna be a swirled mess in no time. Touchless washes are great if you never let any grime build up then you need to hand wash with a good mitt and a bucket with a grit guard to prevent any damage.

Start reading junkmans threads.
Will your truck even make it through a touchless car wash?

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
ya something about Adams just screams MIRROR

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Fo' Sho. I wish my paint looked like that right now. :-( It will once again, soon. In between school, work, and being too damn tired, I'm sad to say that I actually have a film on my car. Yes, a film.

Every time I feel halfway up to washing it, it either rains, or it is going to rain the next day. On vacation right now, and guess what. It's rained the past 2 days, and it's supposed to rain this weekend, while I'm out of town. Bummer.

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
I traded the charger away lol the truck looks like Ive been *******-en since I went fishing down 3 miles of salty gravel roads each way a few times in the last week.

·
Registered
120 Posts
im sold, I will def be purchasing a full Adam's kit either over the winter or just after i bring the daytona outa winter storage.:rocker:

·
Premium Member
5,973 Posts
im sold, I will def be purchasing a full Adam's kit either over the winter or just after i bring the daytona outa winter storage.:rocker:
Ya just be sure to get a kit instead of building one up yourself its alot cheaper. make sure to use the discount code junkman for 10% off too.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
Adams all the way. There superwax and machine polish is awesome on the BB. I have been using there products for over 2 years and love the shine. Worth the money no questions asked.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I'll have to try it out, the Adams line, looking to get away from my dependency on Zaino only because it is not convenient. Need a buffer too, to much time spent on trying to make the BB car coat look flawless. It rained lightly today. The first time I drive the thing since last Sunday and I am stuck in the office horrified so of course I had to quick wash and detail when I got home, not my way of spending an evening after work.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts