Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I just got out new r/t. We test drove a mustang GT and a GTO. While the other two may be alittle faster from 0-60, the GTO alot faster the R/T 5.7 is no slouch. The Mustang looks fantastic but offers only a few options. The 2005 GTO is very strong with the 400hp but there is a $1300.00 guzzler tax with the auto trans and you have to burn premium fuel. We loaded our car up with options and the sticker came up to 35,000. .....
...............My main question is the manual states you have to change the spark plugs every 30,000 miles. The dealer said he thought the reason was the hemi engine does not and can not use platnium spark plugs???? Wonder what the cost will be to change out plugs? Does it cost more to maintaine a hemi engine? So far we really like this car. As you can tell I used to buy nothing but GM products...... Any information will be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I've been enjoying driving the car that I haven't looked at the maintenance schedule. With some V8s, plugs can be an adventure. I havent pulled the cover on the HEMI so I dont know. I usually do this type stuff myself because it can save mucho dinero over the years. Especially if it costs $250 and over to change the plugs like on my '00 Stratus. Its about 100 degrees today so I'll take a look later.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well if the 5.7 is anything like the old hemis, than it wouldnt be a problem at all, just simply remove the wires, use a extension and socket, and start removing them. I cant see there being anything in the path of the sparkplugs, afterall they are in the middle of the valve cover....

·
Registered
587 Posts
I went out today and removed the cover on the engine and looks like each cylinder has individual coil packs (8) and the spark plugs are buried beneath the valve cover. No spark plugs wires in the system and no distributor as well. Removing the valve covers doesn't look too difficult to accomplish. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

·
Banned
99 Posts
If it's like the trucks. There should be 16 plugs and plug wires running from each coil pack to the plug on the other bank. 8 coil packs,8 plug wires and 16 plugs. They needed to do this to meet emmision rules. The semi-hemi is a very dirty design for emmisions and will not make LEV standards.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Agreed, the Hemi has a 'Dual Ignition System' as Chrysler calls it, basically 2 spark plugs per cylinder. a little more work, but not too bad once you figure out how to do it. Just don't be like me and bust your knuckles :mad: Have fun and enjoy the Hemi though :happy:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Wait until the break-in is completed and then replace the plugs due to the odd problems with factory supplier with gapping irregularities.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Someone might comment on this. I found out recently that iridium plugs are better than platinum and have had a set in a 02 Honda 4cyl for over 120k miles. Check to see if they are able to be used.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Good luck getting those plugs out. I wouldn't even trust the 100k spark plug interval. Spark plugs are cheap, and if changing them at 60k or 80k instead of 100k saves stripped threads and other potential nightmares, it's money well spent.

·
Banned
99 Posts
Dutch said:
Good luck getting those plugs out. I wouldn't even trust the 100k spark plug interval. Spark plugs are cheap, and if changing them at 60k or 80k instead of 100k saves stripped threads and other potential nightmares, it's money well spent.
I changed a friends Honda Accord plugs at 140,000KM. Original plugs and they looked almost new(they used anti-sieze at the factory). He wanted to change them because he never did any work on the car other than oil changes,tires and brakes since it was new(his plan was to have them changed the first time he had service done).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank's for the interval advice. I was just trying to say that Iridium plugs are good and since they only cost $16 aftermarket or $30 from Honda, I can see why you would want to change them often. That is cheap insurance at only $64 to $120. I was told by Alamo Autosports in Arlington, Texas that they work until they stop and don't change them until you want to. I was just commenting on their longevity and performance, especially since my engine is a 4cyl revving at 6k RPM.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
DCx "tuned" the ignition to use standard copper resistor champion plugs. The PCM uses the copper as a sort of sensor and can adjust spark on each cyl. individually. Working at a dodge dealer in service, I can't tell you the number of times guys have done tune ups on their own, just to bring it into me to see why power is down and gas milage is up, and why the idle isn't as smooth. In almost every case, it is because they bought some platinum or iridium and the PCM can't do its job...put back in the cheap plugs, runs like a champ...the 30,000 mile interval is to keep it emmissions warranty intact.( it is a 96 month 80,000 mile federal mandated warranty)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Chargershed

Thanks for the input. It is good to hear legitimate reasons for doing things that are not logical without explanation. I would have used iridium plugs prior to reading your comments. I am glad we have knowledgeable and trained individuals reading these boards.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Definitely a big thanks on that one. Also the Charger has no spark plug wires. They dont lay over the engine like the other HEMIs. I've seen two coil packs before but never one per cylinder on a V8. I'd really like to see the wiring diagram on this car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts