Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just joined. I need some serious advice. Just bought an 07 Charger SXT 3.5 V6. Hate how quiet it is. Want to put a Magnaflow on there but the couple places I took the car to are talkin about one inlet, dual outlet and run the extra pipe over to the left where there is that spot on the bumper for a dual exhaust that Dodge put there for whatever reason. Guess it's just universal bumper for all Chargers but anyways I can't afford to do more than this as I just bought some 20's. Has anyone had anything like this done? Thanks

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
I am also interested, Yes it's been done, many times on here. Search for it on the V6 area of the forums. (Go to forums button up top, find V6 forums as the topic, then search there, theres plenty :))

That will be my next modification.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
A guy named Grynder has a custom Magnaflow setup that was extremely inexpensive and sounds wonderful. Do a search for his name, you'll find it easy enough. I think he even included part numbers.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
First, welcome to the forums! Second, yes, many have done it, and it looks so much nicer.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
you might want to find a person selling a stock r/t or daytona exhaust its a lot cheaper and ive been told it lines right up i am in the process of geting a srt exhaust and will hopefully have it in about a month i'll post and let you know how it works out

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
you might want to find a person selling a stock r/t or daytona exhaust its a lot cheaper and ive been told it lines right up i am in the process of geting a srt exhaust and will hopefully have it in about a month i'll post and let you know how it works out
good idea,

But I dont want to hear my exhaust constantly

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Careful with that SRT exhaust... the pipe diameter is too large for a 3.5 and you will lose performance.

You're correct about the R/T system. Have to get the driver side hangers from the dealer but that's it. I had a Daytona system put on a couple of weeks ago and I love it. The gentleman I got it from had some nice tips put on at some point as well.

good idea,

But I dont want to hear my exhaust constantly
I only hear it when I step on it, and it has a good note at idle. A guy in a 300 SRT-8 complimented me on it last weekend. You start cutting the suitcase off though, and yeah, it's gonna be all up in your business.

·
Premium Member
11,946 Posts
Get the Magnaflows!!!! You will love them! I had them put on my SXT and it made such a difference in sound. Even the Hemi boys commented on how good my car sounded. I got them installed at the dealer for $450. Get them! :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, thanks everyone, but the problem is that it seems most people are getting a magnaflow with a dual inlet and dual outlet and the magnaflow part number they are setting me up with is #12268 which is a single inlet and dual outlet. I just don't know if this shop knows what they are doin or this can be done and it's less costly. Not sure what exactly the difference is between the people getting magnaflow that has both dual in and out and the single in, dual out..... please help ???!!!

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
links to exhaust options for a 3.5L at HHP's website, a great supporting vendor:
http://estore.websitepros.com/802805/Categories.bok?category=Dodge+CHARGER:Exhaust+(V6)

link to exhaust options for a 3.5L at 402motorings website, they are also another amazing forum vendor, have ordered from the personally it was a GREAT experience. these 2 systems are, in my opinion 2 of the best options for chargers, reason 1 being that Borla is the maker for the Mopar(the performance section of chrysler/jeep/dodge) exhaust systems, so they are going to be a perfect match to you car. The zoomers brand is another very very high quality product that also went thru a lot of time being perfected. these 2 systems may be slighty pricier, but when it comes to cars, you get what you pay for :)

the single exhaust outlet prices between magnaflow and borla are similar, while zoomers is a bit less(which suprises me, because their 5.7L setups are expensive but amongst the best in sound and quality)

http://www.402motoring.com/product_...erformance 2.7L 3.5L LX&type=CAT-Back Exhaust

happy hunting! and dont let the mog bug bite you too fast or your gonna be as broke as i am!
and welcome from houston.
the dude.

edit:
as far as sound goes, im not sure how much it differents with 1 outlet versus 2 outlets, most people who go the 2 outlet route are doing it more for the sharper look i believe.

as far as the 5.7L goes(and i appologize for not being too well educated when it comes to the v6 engines) the magnaflow generally has a less aggressive sound with good performance gains along with a roar at wide open throttle(most refer to this as WOT). the zoomers are a bit louder, with a more "tuned" exhaust note, but not overbearing by any means. the borla's are a slightly more aggressive system on the 5.7L

i wish i could tell you how much of this applied to the 3.5L so anyone else please chime in, hope im helping tho :)

edit2: another way to help your car breath better and give your exhaust a little bit more growl is to add a CAI(cold air intake, a slightly misleading name, more on that another time :p ) which will run you 300 bucks or less(not sure on v6 prices, mine(an AFE stage 2-- great great brand) ran me... 210, shipped.) and gave me much better throttle response, a slightly louder sound comign from the front of my car outta the engine, and increased the volume of my exhaust tone a noticeable ammount as well. these can improve gas mileage(once you stop stomping the throttle to hear the great sound(same applies to exhaust hehe) as well as filter better than a stock paper filter. they also last a LIFETIME and require cleaning and re-oiling once every 30k-50k miles and possibly more depending on your climate. the cleaning instructions are very easy, come alogn with it and require a purchase of the oil to do so down the road

·
Registered
1,786 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks toxico, but see the difference is the shop wanting to do mine is not using a magnaflow like grynders. his part numbers are ones for a dual in and out magnaflow and mine is for a single in yet dual out cause i still want tips comin out the rear. so i cant figure out what the difference means between using the two different part numbers. literally, it means two inlets as compared to one and then they both have dual outlet but what does that mean for the car?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
dont hold me to this but.. here is what i think is going on....

the v6 has a exhaust manifold on each side of the engine. they come down, thru a catalytic converter on each side. and then come together in a Y-pipe then 1 pipe into a muffler, then piped into a resonator with a tip on it...(is this correct?)

what the 2 in 2 out does, is remove your Y-pipe and takes each separate side of the exhaust into the center muffler rather than 1 pipe in using a Y pipe.

then you can do a dual outlet in the back. am i understanding this correctly?

here is a drawing i made at work in autocad, tweety. it is a diagram of the 5,7 and 6.1L engines but the concept is very similar. this should help you brush up on your terminology as well :p

basically you would have a Y pipe with 1 tube coming out into the "suitcase" instead of an Xpipe with 2. and only 1 outlet coming out on your STOCK setup.

this is just a general idea of how the system comes together and can be mixed and matched in many different ways. (dono if you caught my post on page 1 at the bottom but it has some info and links you may be interested in)

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Careful with that SRT exhaust... the pipe diameter is too large for a 3.5 and you will lose performance.

what is the differance in diameter between the rt aqnd srtexhaust and thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
r/t exhaust i beleive is 2.25" diameter... cant remember srt.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
no offense by this at all, but if you bought a v6 you probably didnt buy it to be a beast on the road and looking to get big torque and hp numbers.

i can garuntee it will increase both tho. as to what degree, i couldnt tell you

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
~~dudeiwin~~ Thanks so much for all your info. After careful consideration and spending hours on here reading I decided to go with two magnaflows under my 3.5 V6. Pipes comeback and no resos. two 3" polished tips just set the whole rear end of the car off now, as compared to the one s-steel that wasn't very visible. The set up I initially talked about starting this thread was a shop tryin to give me one magnaflow and two pipes to cut cost but the one pipe would require alot of hangers, etc. Dual exhaust just wasn't meant to be done like that. Out of about 10 muffler shops about half said they could do that to cut cost and the other half said they wouldn't rig something up like that and didn't want to put their name out their like that. Also for all of you lookin to do this, most of the muffler guys did not suggest a flowmaster on a V6. Magnaflow also has a lifetime warranty. I am extremely pleased w/ the sound, not too annoying loud but definate rumble heard. My guy put these 2 magnaflows on for $600. That was the parts, labor, everything.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
glad to hear your happy with what you got! thats what really counts

1 - 20 of 27 Posts