Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been in different Charger SRT8s and there is a noticeable shake at idle. This is not noticeable in the 300C SRT8. So what gives?

I took my SRT to a dealer and they just told me the same as they have told the rest of you, "Well it's a HEMI"

When you own a $45,000 car you don't expect it to even have the slightest shake. Mine is stock other than for a CAI but I also felt the shake in a brand new one at the dealer that did not have a CAI.

Does someone have a scientific explanation why the Charger SRT shakes while the 300C SRT does not? Is there a way to make it not shake and make it feel more stable or parts included on the 300C not on the Charger?

Does this shaking also apply to anyone who might have a Magnum SRT?

I also wanted to mention I previously owned a Charger R/T and it never shook at all. So the saying "Well it shakes because it's a HEMI" does not fly there either. If that shaking applied to the way the combustion chamber is shaped, why then does the 5.7 not shake?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
A $45,000 muscle car should shake like an old school muscle car. :) That wouldn't bother me one bit. If I bought a $45,000 luxury car, then I'd have a gripe.

Anyway, how is the idle? Is it idling low? Are the injectors in need of cleaning? Maybe bad gas or too low octane? Just a few guesses.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
My SRT does the same thing at idle, most of the time....... but I like it. It's just a sign of some "mad pawr" under the hood. :)

My guess is the 300C is marketed more toward the "luxury" crowd, therefore it may not have the shake.

Now, if I could just find some solid polyurethane engine mount bushings.........

:monster:

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
AFAIK, its a function of the cams used. Why the 300C doesnt, I cant say, Ive not got enough seat time in an idling 300C to say.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My Charger R/t Does The Same Thing - So Did My Roomates Srt-4. I Think It's A Dodge Thing. Cant Tell U Why The 300 Doesnt - Prolly Different Motor Mounts

·
Registered
794 Posts
I was told its not the cam. Its a little oil coming from the PCV into the intake. Hence the discussion about and development of catch cans (Billet Tech.) My 5.7 does the same thing and when BT made their catch cans they said their car did the same before installing the CC. After installing the CC, Heidi said the idle shake went away after a week or so.
Another member I talked to has a 6.1 and put the CC on his car and the "shake" went away.

But who knows why some cars do it and some don't.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
My first silver R/T did it alot, brought it to the dealer one day, whatever they did it idles smoothe as hell afterwards

Its not a SRT thing, they are full of it

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
My Daytona rumbles at idle as well, and I like it. As long as it doesn't throw a code I'm not too worried.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Same here wit the Daytona. I was out with a friend who noticed the shake. I told her, "Its the power of the HEMI horses under the hood baby!". I love the shake.... To each their own though...

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I love the shake! Had to put a Howards cam in my Z-28 to get the shake.
Got it for free with my SRT! Part of having a muscle car.

·
Registered
329 Posts
i have a 300c right now and it shakes at idle as well...dont know why its said they dont.

·
Registered
935 Posts
shake

I have an 07 with 1100 miles and it shakes as well, but what i realized over the years is I was always worrying bout every little noise and rattle I heard that I spent more time at the dealers than I did driving the car. This is my first american muscle car and I made myself a committment to not worry bout things till they are broke. With a lifetime warranty when it breaks or runs bad they can come fix it

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
It's the car shaking?!?!?!? All this time I thought it was just me and being exctited to drive it!

:grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does anyone with indepth engineering knowledge of these cars visit the forums that can actually explain why some shake and others don't?

I don't have a gentle shake in the 6.1 the way some of you describe, it's definately more of a rumble while standing still. You will shake for 2 seconds as if you were shiverring. I know I feel the same thing in other SRTs and to a lesser extent in other versions of the Charger.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Arfur explained it before on another post about the Charger rumbling at idle, I'll see if I can find it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts