Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having accelleration issues with a new Dodge? When I have the throttle all the way down and let up slightly then mash it down again, the car starts lunging. This is definitely not safe when going over 100 mph. It does not happen all the time (and has happened under 100 mph), but it has happened a handful of times since I got the car three months ago. The service department thinks it might be because I was running super unleaded in it. I switched to regular, and it has happened again. It must be some kind of electronic malfunction, but the guy at the service department said they wouldn't be able to do anything about it unless the check engine light came on. At lower speeds, the car also periodically fails to respond when the throttle is halfway engaged.

This is happening on a 2011 Dodge Charger R/T. The car has 5,000 miles on it, but the high-speed lunging occurred even when the car had 350 miles on it. Thanks in advance for your time and expertise. Oh, and save the "slow down" comments for the church choir. :driving:

·
Vendor
10,364 Posts
Anyone else having accelleration issues with a new Dodge? When I have the throttle all the way down and let up slightly then mash it down again, the car starts lunging. This is definitely not safe when going over 100 mph. It does not happen all the time (and has happened under 100 mph), but it has happened a handful of times since I got the car three months ago. The service department thinks it might be because I was running super unleaded in it. I switched to regular, and it has happened again. It must be some kind of electronic malfunction, but the guy at the service department said they wouldn't be able to do anything about it unless the check engine light came on. At lower speeds, the car also periodically fails to respond when the throttle is halfway engaged.

This is happening on a 2011 Dodge Charger R/T. The car has 5,000 miles on it, but the high-speed lunging occurred even when the car had 350 miles on it. Thanks in advance for your time and expertise. Oh, and save the "slow down" comments for the church choir. :driving:
Have you looked at the plug end where the throttle body is connected? Sometimes when these cars are made, they sit out in the weather and get moisture covering the car....including the engine compt. May have some corrosion or lack of di-electric grease! May want to go to the NAPA and get some, unplug, verify, and put some grease in it. Sounds like that may be the problem. Also may be the fuel pump not keeping up with the engine.....possibly. Hard to tell based on your description.

Good luck!
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you looked at the plug end where the throttle body is connected? Sometimes when these cars are made, they sit out in the weather and get moisture covering the car....including the engine compt. May have some corrosion or lack of di-electric grease! May want to go to the NAPA and get some, unplug, verify, and put some grease in it. Sounds like that may be the problem. Also may be the fuel pump not keeping up with the engine.....possibly. Hard to tell based on your description.

Good luck!
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com
Thanks for the prompt response, Brian. I had read about throttle body issues in some other seemingly related posts, but those were for older cars. However, I am going to check the plug end as you suggested. You wouldn't think that would be an issue with a newer car, but I guess if it is a 2011 that had been sitting on the lot and only taken out for test drives, it is a possibility.

As for the description, I feel like Cole Trickle sometimes: I can drive the hell out of the car, but I'm not sure about the mechanical terminology. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Don't let up until the issue is resolved. Try to get the service manager to write up a ticket every time you come in. Frequently they won't though. Don't be afraid to call Chrysler and open a ticket with them if the dealer keeps giving you the run-around.

It sounds to me like a programming glitch.

To suggest it is the gas is pretty scary. I'd look for another dealer to service the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't let up until the issue is resolved. Try to get the service manager to write up a ticket every time you come in. Frequently they won't though. Don't be afraid to call Chrysler and open a ticket with them if the dealer keeps giving you the run-around.

It sounds to me like a programming glitch.

To suggest it is the gas is pretty scary. I'd look for another dealer to service the car.
You make a good point 06Daytona. I live in Houston, so there are plenty of dealers around. I am actually going Friday to Gulfgate Dodge (I bought the car from Gillman) to have the door handles replaced (passive entry malfunction from moisture). I think I will have them check it out before I do anything since it is still under warranty.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yep, I've had this (the lunging issue) happen, exactly as you describe, though doesn't matter what speed. Like the tranny is trying to decide between two gears.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
The biggest obstacle I see is that until it does it at legal speeds, or you throw a code, they'll never be able to verify the problem at the dealership. They'll try to get it to lunge at legal speeds, but if it doesn't do it until you're at WOT while close to triple digits they'll just sign off with "unable to duplicate customer complaint".

As for the problem. It sounds to me like the transmission is looking for another gear that isn't available. Usually when you let of the gas and then mash it again it will downshift. At 100 it may not be able to downshift (possibly over-reving the lower gear if it did), so it lunges "trying" to find a gear but is stuck in the one you're already in. Just a guess though as I'm no mechanic. The only question I have is why let off the gas at 100 just to hammer it again?

PS. Dude, slow down. ;) Ha ha, sorry somebody had to say it (even though you said don't), and it might as well be the cop in the bunch. :lol3005: Good luck with the issue though.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
PS. Dude, slow down. ;) Ha ha, sorry somebody had to say it (even though you said don't), and it might as well be the cop in the bunch. :lol3005: Good luck with the issue though.
LOL! That's because you are the Cop in the bunch! :grin:

Fair point though, a Dealer isn't likely to address a problem that is outside "Normal operating range".

I also suspect this is a TCM control module issue. These new tranny programs are all about economy and aren't set up for performance. The programming is likely confused by the driving habit and can't figure out what to do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The biggest obstacle I see is that until it does it at legal speeds, or you throw a code, they'll never be able to verify the problem at the dealership. They'll try to get it to lunge at legal speeds, but if it doesn't do it until you're at WOT while close to triple digits they'll just sign off with "unable to duplicate customer complaint".

As for the problem. It sounds to me like the transmission is looking for another gear that isn't available. Usually when you let of the gas and then mash it again it will downshift. At 100 it may not be able to downshift (possibly over-reving the lower gear if it did), so it lunges "trying" to find a gear but is stuck in the one you're already in. Just a guess though as I'm no mechanic. The only question I have is why let off the gas at 100 just to hammer it again?

Thanks for the reply, Shots. To answer the question of why let off the gas at that high speed, I was behind an RX-8 and slowed slightly to pass him. When I went into the other lane and hit it again, it started lunging.

And you're exactly right about the service department at the dealer. They said they would not be able to diagnose it because they wouldn't be able to get it up to that kind of speed. And though I haven't tried it, I believe the car would do the same thing when gunning it to get on the freeway. I'll see Friday what they can do and then report back here.

By the way, thanks for what you do as an officer. I have plenty of law enforcement/military in my family, and it is quite the thankless job. No one's ever happy to see y'all until they need y'all. I was on my way to becoming an officer before I broke my back and became paralyzed. And no, the lunging has nothing to do with the hand controls on the car. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL! That's because you are the Cop in the bunch! :grin:

Fair point though, a Dealer isn't likely to address a problem that is outside "Normal operating range".

I also suspect this is a TCM control module issue. These new tranny programs are all about economy and aren't set up for performance. The programming is likely confused by the driving habit and can't figure out what to do.
Ddaddy, I wonder if a tuner, which they don't make for the 2011, would fix this issue in terms of performance?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, I've had this (the lunging issue) happen, exactly as you describe, though doesn't matter what speed. Like the tranny is trying to decide between two gears.
Joem, I'm going to try to get the car to do it at lower speeds to see if it is something that can be duplicated at legal limits. As has been stated, the dealer won't be able to diagnose the issue otherwise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Also, joem, what kind of times are you putting in at the track with all those mods? I had the CAI and exhaust installed on mine recently but haven't been able to take it to the track since the rain stopped. When it was stock, I ran 13.9 in the 1/4 and 8.9 in the 1/8. Those are both with reaction times around .3 and .4, so I know I can do better.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Thanks for the reply, Shots. To answer the question of why let off the gas at that high speed, I was behind an RX-8 and slowed slightly to pass him....... By the way, thanks for what you do as an officer........
Oh that's easy then. Just improve your launch times so the RX-8 is behind you the whole time, then you won't need to pass. :biggrinjester:

Thank you. You're right it generally is a thankless job and I appreciate the acknowledgement.

Also. I think you're probably right about the tuner. I would think it should fix the problem, as it sounds like a computer issue rather than a mechanical one.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Suggest to them that you know how to duplicate the problem and ask if the tech or service manager can come with you while you drive. Don't tell them what speed is required just duplicate the issue for them and let them decide.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You can make this happen at much lower speeds. Use the stick to shift into 2nd then do the same "off the gas / on the gas hard" thing around the shift point for 1-2. It's very disconcerting and I suspect it's the transmission programming getting confused.

Anyone else able to make this happen?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I voiced the same complaint on Dodge's FaceBook page and got a response from their page admin asking me for my contact info and last eight of the VIN so Customer Care can contact me. We'll see what happens now....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can make this happen at much lower speeds. Use the stick to shift into 2nd then do the same "off the gas / on the gas hard" thing around the shift point for 1-2. It's very disconcerting and I suspect it's the transmission programming getting confused.

Anyone else able to make this happen?
I'm going to try the manual shift procedure after work, afeinman. Hopefully I can get it to occur at lower speeds.

·
Registered
83 Posts
There is a pcm/tcm flash update ,TSB 21-01-12 that covers a multitude of issues with trans. and engine I would have the dealer flash it , if it hasn't been updated already

·
Registered
324 Posts
Also, joem, what kind of times are you putting in at the track with all those mods? I had the CAI and exhaust installed on mine recently but haven't been able to take it to the track since the rain stopped. When it was stock, I ran 13.9 in the 1/4 and 8.9 in the 1/8. Those are both with reaction times around .3 and .4, so I know I can do better.
Not sure, I haven't had a chance to take it to Bandimere. I believe there is another Colorado user on one of these forums who has, and has a sea-level time of 13.4ish.

That being said, the R/T AWD has the same rear end as the R&T but on smaller wheels - 19".

So, even with the added weight of the AWD, it should be faster than a regular non-R&T R/T (on 20" wheels) - not sure if AWD mode would help here, less torque to the back wheels, but more grip. Maybe the AWD in RWD mode (pull the transaxle fuse) is faster than the AWD in AWD mode.

As for the butt-dyno, I did intake & exhaust at the same time, and I could definitely feel more pull when accelerating.

edit: Oh and remember - your reaction time is taken off the quarter mile time - your quarter mile time starts when you pass the starting line - not when the tree hits green... Improving reaction time generally won't improve your quarter mile times - you could sit there for a whole minute at a green light, but still get a 14 second quarter mile time.

·
Registered
324 Posts
There is a pcm/tcm flash update ,TSB 21-01-12 that covers a multitude of issues with trans. and engine I would have the dealer flash it , if it hasn't been updated already
Awesome, I'll have to take it in.

I assume the TSB is the date of the release? In that case, since I purchased in oct 2011, I will need this?

Where can I look up available TSBs for my car?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts