Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:cry: Well i really dont post to many long threads on here but finally my luck with the CHP ran out today:( .

Had to run down to Yuma Az from San Diego on tuesday night to be at work on the Air Station there on wednesday. And for anyone that has ever had to drive the 8 east from San Diego, you know there are plenty of opportunities for speeding along that stretch between San Diego and Yuma.

Well the trip to Yuma went very well made it to Yuma in 2 hours and 10 mins, not to bad. It is very amazing to see and feel how well these cars run in the night time cooler temps. Anyways, so that trip went well.

Well this morning on the way back, i left the Yuma area around 5 am and was doing roughly anywhere from 85 to 95 depending on the traffic. Still not too bad. Well finally a long stretch finally occured where i had visibility of at least 1 to 2 miles ahead of me where you can see in the dark any taillights or lights period that are stationary. Nothing was to be found, so i moved it up around 95 ish steady sometimes going to 100, no biggie for me. Been there done that.

Well i finally started to come closer to the El Centro area and more and more overpasses start to emerge, knowing that they were there already due to the trip on the way out. I kinda zoned out and was just cruising at a good speed when i was coming on up on overpass 98 to be exact. I saw a car with lights either slowly going across the bridge or it was stationary. I payed no mind to it.

Usually i do slow down but i was so excited to head home and thought nothing of it again. Well apparently thats where Mr. CHP:monster: was sitting, he did not immediatley turn the lights on to come after me, maybe it was due to the traffic i passed early catching up to that point or maybe it was the fact i was doing approx. 100 mph. Well approximately 5 to 6 miles down the road, i see in my drivers mirror a vehicle coming up fast and i mean fast. So i thought that before he gets near me i will get in the right lane and let him pass, also at that time i slowed down. There was no traffic ahead me at that time also.

So as the vehicle is coming up on me at the accelerated speed, thats when it happened. HE SLOWED DOWN, I think to verify that i was the vehicle that passed him, then he turned the RED LIGHTS on. Good thing i remained calm and didnt panic. So i pulled over.:silenced:

The CHP Officer was very polite and stated he got me at 98 mph in a 70 mph zone. He said that he was going to give me warning and i was cool. Well thats when he came back and he stated he cut off 18 mph of the ticket and wrote me a ticket for 80 mph in the 70 mph zone. He also only put on the ticket SPEEDING. No wreckless driving, excess speeding etc etch.

Which to me was cool, no sweat. I knew i did wrong and i got caught. He knew i was telling him the truth of where i was heading and why. And i was cooperative and didnt deny it wasnt me.

I havent had a ticket in 6 years, so i knew that i would be able to take care of the ticket with traffic school and have no points. Just pay the fine, take the class and no problems. But i am VERY LUCKY, but starting to push it thin. Time to chill out and relax and take it easy.

If i would have gotten caught the night before it would have been way worse, due to the speeds that i was doing on the empty highway was in excess of 110+ along the 300 that was there right next to me.

So now :grin: for the SEMA roadtrip at the end of the month. i think i am good with not getting any more speeding tickets for another 6 years or more.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
That sucks Brudda, but like you said, could have been worse. Anuthing 100 or over and they can impound the beast! Sorry you got one, but the way you drive... it was coming! Lol!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sucks Brudda, but like you said, could have been worse. Anuthing 100 or over and they can impound the beast! Sorry you got one, but the way you drive... it was coming! Lol!
Yes it could have, like i said good thing they got me this morning and not tuesday night. Or i would have been walking back from yuma.

See you tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
i just got out of court thurs morning for an 89 in a 65. the judge was very cool. dropped my ticket by a lot. hope you get some of that luck.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Just like my First SGT used to say: There are those that will get caught and There are those that will get caught again

CHP got me for 94 in a 65 2 years ago in the SRT4 Total cost = $396

I've had close calls since then, but all my Speeding tickets (2) were with the SRT4

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just like my First SGT used to say: There are those that will get caught and There are those that will get caught again

CHP got me for 94 in a 65 2 years ago in the SRT4 Total cost = $396

I've had close calls since then, but all my Speeding tickets (2) were with the SRT4
First one with this beast in 2 years of owning it!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
I use a Uniden BCT10 or BCT12. I find it more useful and 99% accurate vs a Radar Detector.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Man you're lucky. I had a little 'misunderstanding' in Brawley shortly after my return from Iraq and paid a little visit to Imperial County Jail. That place sucks BALLS - I would've given my left nut for an MRE in the sandbox compared to the garbage the feed you in there. The Chippy was COOL for droppin that ticket down to 80mph - there, I said it - a cool cop!!!!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I got one labor day weekend. Cop said I he was at 112 and I was still pulling away. But since I cried like a little B**** he said he felt sorry for me and would put me down for 90 so as not to take my car away. So now I get to contribute $273 to help rebuild our pothole filled streets since that what they say it goes towards.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am very familiar with that stretch, I drove at least 20 times this summer. A radar is must in this stretch, it is too easy to cruise 80+. I always watch those overpasses, knowing one is setting there waiting. They also will get you on the opposite side, seen it too many times. K and Ka bands are what to look for. Enjoy traffic school, you can find online for $13.95 w/ free electronic submission to the courthouse. Just finished mine this weekend took about an hour to go through the crap.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I got one labor day weekend. Cop said I he was at 112 and I was still pulling away. But since I cried like a little B**** he said he felt sorry for me and would put me down for 90 so as not to take my car away. So now I get to contribute $273 to help rebuild our pothole filled streets since that what they say it goes towards.
Money well spent to fix the potholes so we can go faster :D

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am very familiar with that stretch, I drove at least 20 times this summer. A radar is must in this stretch, it is too easy to cruise 80+. I always watch those overpasses, knowing one is setting there waiting. They also will get you on the opposite side, seen it too many times. K and Ka bands are what to look for. Enjoy traffic school, you can find online for $13.95 w/ free electronic submission to the courthouse. Just finished mine this weekend took about an hour to go through the crap.
what website did you go to?

·
Registered
73 Posts
http://www.inandouttrafficschool.com/

I got my ticket in Riverside County, on the way to Yuma, but I am not sure if this site is approved for Imperial Valley or San Diego Counties. The price is right. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
oh yes, I know this stretch of I-8 very well.

Got my 120+ coming out of the mountains (West bound), 2 miles before the Boarder Checkpoint... The CHP clocked me at 136 (I was in the brakes).

Was mandatory court appearance, but because I am from out of state, all I had to do is write a letter to the Judge. Of course I plead "Guilty". Fine was ONLY $701.00. And weeeeeell worth it...

140+ through the twisties was a blast. hehe

CHP was very professional and nice.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts