Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I have the LSH ST Charger flasher relay that makes the whole rearend light up when the brakes are applied, and not just the outer corners. Also it makes the center LED's flash top and bottom.

http://www.lshlights.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=11.1005.CHST&eq=&Tp=

My question is before I tear apart the rear, do you think I can catch the wires coming into the trunk to wire this up, to make it work. Or would everything need to be taken down to catch the center piece lights.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the rear taillights? LSH includes instructions on what wire goes where, but they did not provide any other info as far as where to catch the wires at. I would assume since you turn on the parklights and the whole rear end lights up, that you would be able to tie into this where the wiring comes into the trunk before it splits off to go the to center light and the end lights on the trunk.

Vid below of how the flasher part will work. You might have to log into your FB to view.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=1782441244732&set=vb.46672336708&type=2&theater

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No one seems interested over here. We are updating on the other forums. Lack of instructions has kept this from being installed, but we have better info now, so by Sunday one of the 2 of us that bought this will have some results hopefully. :D

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^LOL..Spent 2 hours doing that already and got it to partially work. The company was NOT clear on this, and after Jon got ahold of the actual guy that did the install on a police Charger, we now have better info.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2011 or 2012 Charger LSH Rear TailLight Flasher Installed

*Disclaimer* I suck at any kind of write-ups and video *End Disclaimer*​

This is the outcome of the install of the LSH piece into the 2011/2012 rear taillights to make the middle piece function as brake lights too, and also for different patterns of the flasher.

Okay first read through this thread at the below link for the specifics of the wiring, etc. There is quite a bit of info that might answer any of your questions. This was a (2) Sunday ordeal(only time I have daylight due to work) because LSH furnished poor instructions..But Jon finally got ahold of the actual guy that did the install on the police cruiser.

h t t p : / /c h a r g e r f o r u m z . com/showthread.php?t=128900
^^Take out the spaces for the link to work. I guess this is where one forum has an issue with another forum from what I have seen in the years.

The below video shows the whole rear lighting up when the brakes are applied. This includes the middle section. This is with no parklights on. Click on the video to play.

The ends now light up in the middle and the very outside when the brakes are applied. This allows the array to be even all the way around when the middle is lit up. Remember when the park lights are on, the middle will NOT light up as the brake lights, only the ends.

Click on the videos below to see some of the flash patterns. I was really not interested in this part of this, but it is cool and it has different combinations. This is controlled by a switch seperate of the hazards switch, but I am sure you can tie it into the hazards..Then you have a momentary switch to change the patterns. If you are ever on the side of the road, you will for sure not have to worry about being seen. :D

On this first video, the flasher will go steady when you hit the brakes.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^Yea bro..It has many different patterns..There is a write up on it either on this forum or another. One other member got this do and he did an awesome write up. I suck at write ups!

It was a pita thought to figure it all out as it came with basic instructions, and not Charger specific. But we got'r done!

·
Registered
34 Posts
^^Yea bro..It has many different patterns..There is a write up on it either on this forum or another. One other member got this do and he did an awesome write up. I suck at write ups!

It was a pita thought to figure it all out as it came with basic instructions, and not Charger specific. But we got'r done!
Once you got it figured out, about how many hours did you have in to the install?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm here!!!!

I can't access the other site to copy/paste the write up. If you have any questions feel free to PM me or post them up. I love the whole array lighting up when i brake, extra visibility.
That being said, I'm a firefighter and always stop to help people on the side of the road, the extra visibility of the flashers is better for me than installing aftermarket lights (for off highway use only, check local laws before using:biggrinjester:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is for the '11 model year. Not known if the 2012+ have the same wiring on it. I still have not been told which wire in the main bunch is for the rear array, so still have the long wire running up the rear seat as needed. Enjoy your brake light array!

**Disclaimer**
This works for MY charger, I will NOT have running lights if this module fries it's self and stops working. Brake lights will work, but rear running lights will not. Follow my instructions at your own risk. If you mess up, sorry. Message me and I will see what I can to help, but follow at your own risk.

Things you need to get.
Module
Wire splices (or electrical tape if you are cheap, i highly recommend splices)
Electrical tape
Length of wire (about 5 feet)
5amp fuse/holder
wire crimper
TEST LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
a buddy makes this 100000000000% easier

That's it. about $9 in tools you probably already have. If you buy the cheap walmart $17 auto electrical kit, it has EVERYTHING you need for this.

When I mention "test the wire," I am talking about a needle test light. Hook the alligator clip to a ground and hold the needle to the positive battery terminal. The light should light up. Now, take that same needle and push it into a wire you know should be "hot" or on (i/e white/purple should be hot when lights are on) and the light on the instrument should light up. You are basically poking the needle into the copper of the wire. You NEED to understand how to do this for this install. If confused, message me.

I dont mention it, but I unhooked the power wire in between steps to be sure everything worked right and nothing was live in between cuttings.

My brake light didn't work unless the car was in ACC or RUN mode. So don't think you messed up if yours is the same. Also, your trunk lights will automatically time out and NOT work no matter what unless you close and reopen the trunk, so don't freak out when you notice this too.

First step,
Push the rear seats forward and take out the entire trunk floor. Locate the large wire harness running under the along the floor. If you only wish to run ONE wire, position the module so it fits next to the battery. There is a grounding bolt (obvious, there are like 15 wires running to it) or the negative battery terminal. Wire a 5amp fuse to the RED wire and connect to the positive battery.

Second,
ALWAYS TEST THE WIRES BEFORE CUTTING!!!!
You need to carefully undo the tape holding the wires together.
Start digging and locate a few select wires.
ATTENTION!!!! There are a FEW of the same colored wires. This is where the test light, friend, and EXTRA splice crimps come in handy.
Find the WHITE/PURPLE wire, WHITE/GRAY, and WHITE/GREEN

There is one White/Purple, 2 grays and 3 greens.
Have your friend turn on the lights. Test the purple wire. if it is hot, tell your friend to turn the lights off, the test light should go off too. This means you have a light wire. Cut it. Turn the lights on, a tail light should be out.
Find the White/Gray wires. Have your friend turn the lights back on, find which is hot. For me, they both were. Lights off, they both were off. So I 50/50'ed the wires and cut one. The side marker went out. respliced it, left it alone. Cut the other, the other tail light went out (this is what you want). you can see the botched wire cut in the pics by the red splice crimp in the background. Not the end of the world if you cut the wrong wires, just resplice them.
You will now have wires cut toward the front of the car and toward the rear. Twist them together at each side (as in on the same ends) and crimp together. Have your friend turn the lights back on. The wires toward the front of the car should be "hot." Crimp in the purple wire to this. (this SENDS the signal to the module). The "cold side" wires get the yellow wire (This is the signal TO the lights).
Now get the white/green wires again. The brake light is what you are looking for. Have your friend turn the acc on or the run position on the dash and push the brake lights, they should be on. Now test each white/green wire until you find the hot one. When you find it, have your friend pump the brakes (ie lights on/off). When the test light flashes with the brake lights, you found the right one. You have a choice, either cut and resplice in the green wire from the module (as in one wire on one side and two wires to the other) or use the vise-crimp to splice in. In either case, your brake lights should STILL WORK no matter what when completing this step with the module hooked up to the battery or not.

At this point, your OUTER led's should light up when you push the brakes.

(This step is only because I could not find the correct wire in the wiring group under the trunk floor cover. If you have the time/patience, you can find the right wire for the center array, it IS there, I just got tired of trying wires. You need to splice the one that is for the center array one way or another, this is the wire I eventually found)
Now remove the side support to the passenger rear seat. One bolt at the bottom and a pinch clip at the top (if you mess up the top, you will see how to get it back in). Find the WHITE/GRAY wire. Turn on the lights and make sure its hot and cold when off (there is only one here, but different than the one you cut before). Use electrical tape to cover the bottom wire, use that long wire you have to hook the top wire to the BLUE wire on the module.

At this point, your whole LED array should light up when you push the brakes.

Now test to make sure the ENTIRE array lights up when you hit the brakes and that when you turn the lights on the array still lights up. If so, put the support back in the seat. You can now enjoy the full light up of the brakes.

This is as far as I went for the moment. If you use the alligator clips from the walmart wiring pack, you can clip one side to the battery and the other to the WHITE/BROWN wire on the module. The lights should alternate flash outer/inner with the running lights on or off. That is to say as long as they are flashing, you will be seen from behind and if the flashers turn off, the running lights will resume normal operation. When your buddy hits the brakes, everything lights up solid. If you hold the white wire from the kit against the positive terminal or other 12v source the lights will go out until you take it off and the pattern will change. The pattern will now stay that way until you change it again with the white wire. On emergency vehicles, we typically just leave it in one pattern on a system like this so i won't ever change it once I find one I like.
To wire the switch up for the flashers, I am going to wait until someone does a hazard switch write up or run something to a button in the cab in a non-obvious location so it doesnt look bad.

The only issues I really ran into were 1. I could NOT find the wire for the center array in that large wire group (if you do, PLEASE let me know so I can amend the write up). and 2. the passenger side rear side light flashes with the tail light, but the driver's side does not. I would rather they both flashed. If I had a nicer voltmeter, I could have found the right wires better, but didn't.

I ran the wire for the flasher on/off to my seat and wired in a LED flasher to that so it flashes under my dash when the lights are on. This is a blue LED strip from auto zone and an LED flasher from superbrightleds.com

Link to buy the flasher:
http://www.lshlights.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=11.1005.CHST&eq=&Tp=

Videos of the flashers: (quick video)
Brake light-flashing/brake/flashing-running light/flashing/brake/flashing
Flashing Tails - YouTube

Video of the blinking light while driving:
Blinking light - YouTube

·
Registered
46 Posts
Can this be wired up to only work on the center array led ring. I would prefer the brake lights or outer parking lamps to not be altered from stock working function. I would also like to keep the center array led ring flash to solid with the brakes applied.

At 120+mph it is best to have the guy behind me fully notice my brake lights and resulting speed decrease. Also looks good on camera review.

Seams like I would just need to input the brake signal to the module. Leaving the l/r taillight alone. Sending nothing from the module but to the center array.

Second trick part. I would like to not have the center array be on with headlights switched on. Only time I would want the center array to be on is when brakes are applied or when emergency blue lights are on and then the center array flashes. This should be simple- just cut the wire from the car and not use it. Simply test the voltage, with headlights on, coming out of the module to see if it will work without getting wired to the module.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.