Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Charger R/T
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a battery light after doing a pull and also a low oil pressure light at idle that started today after putting 20-30 miles on the cam. The car has probably been running for 1-2 hours since the cam was installed. Any idea what this could be? I installed a 392 cam, new lifters, valve springs, pushrods, and jba shorty headers. Anything helps.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
First i would verify with a mechanical gauge that the oil pressure is actually low. Maybe the sender is going out?
Whats your cold and warm pressures?
Did you remove the oil pump when doing the cam?
Was the alternator recall done for the battery issue?

·
Registered
2012 Charger R/T
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just turned on my car and sat in it for about 5 minutes and the oil psi dropped down to below 5 and I cut the engine. I replaced my alternator and battery last year but I'm much more concerned about the low oil pressure. My dipstick is ziptied in place so it's moving a bit, that doesn't have anything to do with it does it? I checked my oil level and it is full. What else could it be?

Edit: When I first start the car it is around 40 or maybe a little higher but it drops to zero eventually as it warms up.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Sounds like you have extensive crank case pressure if you have to ziptie the dipstick in. It could be a blocked breather system. Not sure if that would mess up the oil pressure.

·
Registered
2012 Charger R/T
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like you have extensive crank case pressure if you have to ziptie the dipstick in. It could be a blocked breather system. Not sure if that would mess up the oil pressure.
I ziptied it because I got jba shorty headers and it bolted on to the heat shield of the old manifold I thought?

·
Registered
2012 Charger R/T
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You really only need oil pressure under power too. They say 10 PSI/1000 RPM. Does it go up under power?
Yes it does go up under power. Though I cut the engine after idling it a bit this time because I began to hear lifter tap and I didn't want to ruin the brand new lifters and cam. But earlier when I was driving it the light would only come on at idle and it would drop to 0 psi.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Did you remove the oil pump? O ring on the pickup tube is prolly nicked, or bad sucking in air causing loss of oil pressure.

·
Registered
2012 Charger R/T
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you remove the oil pump? O ring on the pickup tube is prolly nicked, or bad sucking in air causing loss of oil pressure.
I did. Would the pressure still go up when the RPMs go up though? because it does.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
What is your psi at normal driving conditions?

My 392 will be around 60psi on cold start, then drop to around 30psi on idle, and be anywhere from 50-80psi under driving conditions.

10psi is a little low on idle.

Why did you replace the cam? Just for fun or did you have a lifter roller eat a lobe?

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
This is very likely the problem, you have to be ultra careful with the O ring on that oil pick up tube.

·
Registered
2012 Charger R/T
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What is your psi at normal driving conditions?

My 392 will be around 60psi on cold start, then drop to around 30psi on idle, and be anywhere from 50-80psi under driving conditions.

10psi is a little low on idle.

Why did you replace the cam? Just for fun or did you have a lifter roller eat a lobe?
The ladder. Lifter destroyed one of the lobes on the cam. and it's 0 psi at idle but I instantly cut it. If I rev the engine it is normal, goes up to 40psi around 2k, but if I let my foot off gas and let it idle it will drop to 0.

·
Registered
890 Posts
The ladder. Lifter destroyed one of the lobes on the cam. and it's 0 psi at idle but I instantly cut it. If I rev the engine it is normal, goes up to 40psi around 2k, but if I let my foot off gas and let it idle it will drop to 0.
Failed lobe will not effect oil psi.

Sounds to me like Oil Pump O ring honestly or partially clogged oil filter pick up.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I ziptied it because I got jba shorty headers and it bolted on to the heat shield of the old manifold I thought?
You install a new spacer at the dipstick bracket position and then re-install the dipstick using the original nut.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Have you verified the pressure with a mechanical gauge? If your battery light is on as you said and the computer is running on low voltage it could mess with all kinds of stuff like sensor readouts.

Also if it is low, what kind of lifters did you use? I've heard that some of the cheap Chinese ones have massive "axle oiling" holes in the body that just dump oil into the crankcase. Not to take away from companies like crower with reasonably sized and placed axle oiling passages.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts