Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my charger r/t for about 3 weeks now and have read, researched and daydreamed about what exhaust to get. I liked the sound of the zoomers, the magnaflow, flowmaster, but i was sold on the borla after i heard a stinger on a c6 corvette.

I realize it is a different system than the stinger (i bought the 140125, everything i heard about the 112 was that it is too quiet), but man it sounded great...so i just got it in today and tonight installed it....had the wife jump in and fire her up and man does it growl. The wife jumped out, ran in the house and grabbed our 2 year old daugher and said we needed to do a test drive. I drove it like i just stole it! My wife was smiling and my daughter kept telling me, Go Daddy!

So far i love it, sounds like a charger should sound! I will see tomorrow about highway driving and the dreaded drone with the MDS......

I will keep anyone interested posted.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Please let me know how the dronning is. I have the just cut off the mufflers and run pipes off of the resonator setup now, and it drones real bad at 2000rpms, sounds great but the drone is crazy loud! I was thinking of getting the Borla setup also.

·
Registered
743 Posts
hodgeee said:
I have the just cut off the mufflers and run pipes off of the resonator setup now, and it drones real bad at 2000rpms, sounds great but the drone is crazy loud!
FYI, I think you have this backwards...

The resonators are just before the tips... you have two. The muffler is in the middle of the car... only one.

I too have removed the resonators and there is drone... as expected.
I kinda like it... sounds more like the cars being "worked on" when I grew up.
Some of the cat backs have tuned resonators to handle the "drone" while still allowing more goodness from the engine.

I'm gonna hold off on a cat back until I can do an "engine" back and get headers + high flow cats + the rest... Then I'll tune the sound.

·
Registered
127 Posts
how much for the Borla set-up?

i wish i could hear your car now, it would probably make me go out tomorrow and get the Borla

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the dreaded drone... i looked up so many drone questions and problems before i bought the borla setup! On with my response that probably won't help anyone. So far, so good in my mind - I still love the borla 125!!!

Yes there is a hint of drone but to give it a comparison test i put my driver side window down and was on par with that sound... does that make any sense. basically they were as loud as each other canceling each other out. I also found that if i goosed the baby a little bit down or up the drone almost vanishes.

It passed "MY" wife seal of approval! she honestly didn't say anything, so i asked her if the sound bothered her and she said no - it sounds great. got on the highway and same thing...she told me that if it did bother her she would turn on the radio (she said we didn't pay extra money for the sound package II). and with the radio on i couldn't hear the muffler (on about 15 on the sound setting for the radio).

Now, the viewer (people i pass) review! Everyone can't help but stare as i open it up and take off and when i was at the gas station a guy came up and asked if that as the new charger and said it sounds great at idle. when i put the muffler on a couple of guys couldn't help but say how great it sounded when i opened it up. To me it really sounds more nascarish (is that a word) - more aggresive and muscle oriented.

anyway, i love it - kept the aftermarket exhaust in case 5 years from now i want to change back (probably never going to happen) but i left my options open.

i got what i consider to be a great deal at 890 with shipping (3 day). i am in the military so i found an outlet that gave me a deal.

i will try and find away to get a post of the sound up and running for those that are on the edge of going with the borla 125.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I too recently installed the borla 140125 kit. Great sound. The only issue I have right now is with the tips. Because of the rolled tips, it appears there is alot of rust gathering at the bottom of the opening. I'm considering changing the 5" tips for some double walled tips... but i don't know if they sell double wall tips larger than 4".
4" tips would be absolutely fine if there are no 5".
Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

thanx

·
Registered
559 Posts
Well it's hard to believe you have any rust as it's a stainless steel system. If you need to, drill a small hole for the condensation to drip out of underneath the rear tip.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts