Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Latter this week I will be visiting NYC for the first time with the wife and kids. We will be there for about a week staying with some friends. Absolutely excited:grin: ...I am definitely looking forward to a Gray's Papaya hot dog and some great pizza.

But I thought hey what do my fellow Chargers suggest doing in NYC...Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rich

·
Registered
177 Posts
Rich, there is more to do in NYC than probably any other place on earth. With the holiday season upon us i would recommend starting at Rockerfeller Center to see the Christmas Tree and do some ice skating. Theres all the beautiful window displays and St. Patricks Cathedral all within walking distance. There are several museums, my favorite is the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and if your going with kids they will love the American Museum of Natural History.
Time Square will absolutely blow you away with people all over the streets walking and shopping at 2am. If its a clear day make sure you visit the Empire State Building, and dont forget to eat in either Little Italy or Chinatown. Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty can be done in one day. If you had family that ever passed thru Ellis Island you would really appreciate it. New York is the City that never sleeps. theres more to do in NY at 4am than most places have going on at 8pm. Enjoy your Visit. Bring your camera and prepare for the time of your life.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Don't Forget going to visit the Twin Towers Site. I went on a motorcycle run with almost 3,000 other bikers this past June from NJ. It was really touching to see a big 300lb biker with a long beard and a big gut the size of god knows what, in tears as he stood and look down at the big bath tub.

·
Registered
281 Posts
And you could take an hour and 1/2 drive North on the NYS Tru-Way (Rt.87) to visit the Orange County Choppers showroom.
They have most of the bikes there plus stuff for sale if your into OCC!

Scroll down on this link for the location and map!
http://www.orangecountychoppers.com/occweb_ver2.php

Just don't drive out of the City during rush hour!
Let me know if you do and I'll meet up with you for lunch.
I work 7pm to 7am

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your many wonderful suggestions...Obviously there is plenty to do, many things I was not aware of or thought about.

We are definitely excited to be there this Christmas season and see all of the decorations; but most of all just excited to be in NYC...It will be great(I just wish I could take the Charger).:grin:

We'll be flying out at 6am(PST) tomorrow. Still have so much to do.

Thanks again for your help...Rich

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
what about coney island ... freek show nathans..... i love new york the subways are the bomb thakes you everywhere quick and cheap.....and catch a broadway show those are the best!!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what about coney island ... freek show nathans..... i love new york the subways are the bomb thakes you everywhere quick and cheap.....and catch a broadway show those are the best!!!!!
I don't know what your budget is but Nobu is one of the greatest restaurants on earth.
Peter Lugers if you like steaks... best EVER!

I am all about the food...I would love to hit Coney Island and catch a Broadway show---As far as the budget is concerned I can always take money out of my Mod fund if I run a little low on change, is that wrong??:confused:

·
Banned
327 Posts
Def goto Rocefeller center, and if you can go at nighttime, because Bloomingdales across the street has a really nice show.
Take the kids to jeckel and Hydes, they will get a kick out of it.
Canal street is a great place to go shopping, but becareful for knockoff items.
There is something else you can do.
Ive seen it a couple times while i was at work, there is a Circular bicycle that fits about 5 people, hard to explain, just find out where to go for it, cause it loooks like fun and kinda funny looking as well.

OOO, cant forget, if you want a quick snack, stop and get the Nuts about Nuts nut stand in time square. My favorite, Cashews, and they are warm.
Enjoy the feris wheel in Toysrus while ur there.

Have fun and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Since we're talking about Times Square, and you have kids, be sure to go to the giant Toys R Us there!! There's a ferris wheel in the center!!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
When I go to Little Italy I usually visit Vincent's. They have these lightly fried shrimp in hot sauce that I love. Kind of expensive for how much you get but I can't resist them. Then go around the corner to Ferrera's for coffee and dessert.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ha, some one mentioned peter lugers! I remember going there driving a beat up 85 accord. :)

YOU MUST GO TO MACYS, the displays in the windows are awsome. Also take the train so you can have a true experience of NY. Dont feel bad if you have to pay $35+ for 4hr parking. :)

READ THE NO PARKING SIGNS CAREFULY, IT WILL BE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET WHERE YOUC ANT SEE IT AT TIMES!!

YOU MUST MUST MUST HAVE A NY BAGEL AND PIZZA NO DOUBT! CHECK OUT THIS BAD BOY:

I put on 10lbs (me 20lbs ago) in one week eating my favorite food! You can get this bad boy for $1.75 at crossbronx pizza.

Rays pizza is also all over mahnattan, those are good too, just not gynormiouis like this one:

Cant wait to go home in january! booyaa!

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
Try to get into McSorleys on 7th street between 2nd and 3rd ave.
Its the oldest Pub in NYC. It has been a long time since I was there.
Also on the same block is Brewskys, they have beers from all over the world.
And remember that standard shot of the police station in NYPD Blue???
Well anyway its on 5th street between 1st and 2nd ave. Its the 9th Pct.

·
Registered
418 Posts
grays papaya? man you gotta go to 53rd and 6th ave best eats after a night of drinkin plus theyre open real late. dont go to the vendors during the day. the one im talkin about is open at around 7pm. you know the food is good when the line is long as hell lol

·
Registered
153 Posts
Try to get into McSorleys on 7th street between 2nd and 3rd ave.
Its the oldest Pub in NYC. It has been a long time since I was there.
Also on the same block is Brewskys, they have beers from all over the world.
And remember that standard shot of the police station in NYPD Blue???
Well anyway its on 5th street between 1st and 2nd ave. Its the 9th Pct.
McSorley's..hell yeah!, MSG for a game Rangers or Knicks, WTC Site, Ray's Pizza, Angelo's on Mulberry in Little Italy (order the Veal)...everything else is a TOURIST TRAP down there. Steak...Gallaghers, forget everything else, but bring your bank account

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Latter this week I will be visiting NYC for the first time with the wife and kids. We will be there for about a week staying with some friends. Absolutely excited:grin: ...I am definitely looking forward to a Gray's Papaya hot dog and some great pizza.

But I thought hey what do my fellow Chargers suggest doing in NYC...Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rich

Hi Rich, IM new on the site...
If IM not too late in repling, I highly advise that you DONT go to Grays Papaya's. A while back I was in a rush going back to work so I grabed a frank there, needless to say there was a critter dead in the meat, besides its really not a good frank. Go to Nathan's in Coney Island, its the best.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
There'a a restaurant in the Village called "Cafe Espanol".

Order the stuffed lobster and you will consider me a friend forever!!!:)
Geez TK. I haven't thought about that place in years. If it is the same place I'm thhinking of it was kind of small - nothing wild but
I had the stuffed lobster and it was great.
I'm going back. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you all

I can finally get back on the forum now that all the craziness of Christmas is over.

All I can say is Unbelievable
We flew into LaGuardia and stayed with a friend on 90th between 1st & 2nd. We only had 4 days there so we did a whirl wind tour in Manhattan. I think I walked more in those four days then I have in the last four years. What a great city.

We ate pizza every night regardless of dinner. It is hard to explain what makes the pizza the best in the world but it is...Two places I ate at a lot were Nicks and Bulldog on 1st ave.

The pastries were incredible...My favorite place was in Little Italy called Ferreras. Amazing!!! I had the Lobster Tail which was awesome.
We loved Little Italy. I used to live in Brazil so we also visited Little Brazil but there were only a few restaurants.

It was not all food...We went up the Empire State building; the visibility was great they said we could see 25 miles. It took my breath away.
We stopped at Times Square I was surprised how small the ice rink really is compared to how large it looks on tv. The Christmas tree was great. We took the kids to the Toys R Us—which blew them away.
Ground Zero location was so enormous I had no idea. And to think the towers were twice as tall as the buildings surrounding it. What really got me was the memorial in St. Paul’s Chapel.
We visited Trinity Chapel and St. Patrick’s Cathedral. We saw where George Washington had his inaugural address.

Riding the subway was pretty cool…we even had to switch lines due to a track problem but since everything is laid out so well as far as the street numbering (as opposed to Ca with street names) that was no problem.

We saw so many wonderful things it was a great trip. We definitely want to go again with more time. Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. New York is such a great city and we only saw a very small part.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts