Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new to the forums. Got two questions for ya'll. Recently I just made 2 modifications to my 09 Charger R/T. 1 was new rims, went from the stock alloy 18's to to alloy 20's. Also installed a Mopar CAI. When I floor it I can definitely hear the CAI growling, but I feel like I may have lost some power in acceleration ie: I don't get pushed back in the seat like I used to. Doesn't feel like a HUGE loss, but I'm leaning towards something is wrong ... any ideas? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
Mopar CAI shouldn't have cost you any performance. If you really want to gain performance, start with a predator

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm ... well I was thinkin about getting a Predator for sure, but I'm not the most technical person around. From reading the Predator knowledge base thread I'm not sure about a lot of that stuff. I suppose the big deal is the 93 tune? How much performance increase are we talkin with that?

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
top hp, few points, but what it really does is bring the torque in faster. Some people have reported better "feeling" with 91 tune, I know on the '07, the 93 tune was awesome. It is NOT the same car with predator. Don't need to be too technical, fairly straight forward. Most of the thread is getting into all the changes, which you don't want to do without some knowledge. Raise shift point, raise rev limiter, run 91 or 93, and smile :)

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
The Predator is extremely easy to use - even if you do not have any technical skills. If you use the canned tunes on the Predator you won't break your car.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
The Mopar CAI is sucking in hot air and the 20's weigh more.

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
Hmm ... well I was thinkin about getting a Predator for sure, but I'm not the most technical person around. From reading the Predator knowledge base thread I'm not sure about a lot of that stuff. I suppose the big deal is the 93 tune? How much performance increase are we talkin with that?
Renaissance,

There really is not much to know about the Predator like Lovin-it and Part Deux said. Plug it into the OBDII port and follow the directions.

Another suggestion with the Predator is the ACES IV Gasoline Formula. It will help you utilize the fuel energy and produce a clean vaporized spray pattern for more HP and lubricate the cylinders, stems and guides, and cushion the valves. When doing high performance, stick to the basics....fuels, oils, tunes first and then move to the hard parts. :beerchug:

Good luck!

Regards,
Brian Schubert
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Lovin It, the "Cold" Air Intake is sucking in "Hot" air? What the ...
Yup, After I installed my CAI, I noticed a loss of some low end torque when the engine is warm at launch, most aftermarket CAI's for the LX leave the filter exposed to hot air under the hood. The dinky little heat sheild gets heat soaked real quick and doesn't do much ( especially at idle). If you sit at a light for a minute or 2 your underhood air temp skyrockets, you hit the gas wanting to feel that neck snapping we all love, and the car bogs down because it just got a mouth full of nice, hot, steamy air (yum). My opinion recently has changed on these things, I think most of them are only good in winter and when the motor is cold. Mine also runs great on highway travel...but stop and go traffic...FORGET IT! I'm going to look into the "Stock airbox Mod" that several members have switched too, or get an RDP or B'Woody cai that puts the filter down behind the fender and out of the engine bay.:beerchug:

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
The Predator can help with the heatsoak issue a little as well...but you need to put a lower temp thermostat in and set your fan speeds to match. I have not done this but I can't imagine it would make a huge difference as far as stop and go driving is concerned.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Hello all, new to the forums. Got two questions for ya'll. Recently I just made 2 modifications to my 09 Charger R/T. 1 was new rims, went from the stock alloy 18's to to alloy 20's. Also installed a Mopar CAI. When I floor it I can definitely hear the CAI growling, but I feel like I may have lost some power in acceleration ie: I don't get pushed back in the seat like I used to. Doesn't feel like a HUGE loss, but I'm leaning towards something is wrong ... any ideas? Thanks.
Here's my .02 Increasing your rim size is gearing up your car giving you less torque off the line. They are probably heavier too. These cars need torque as they are heavy. Second any mod I've done on the car takes a while for the computer to adapt. You may need to drive it for a while.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup, After I installed my CAI, I noticed a loss of some low end torque when the engine is warm at launch, most aftermarket CAI's for the LX leave the filter exposed to hot air under the hood. The dinky little heat sheild gets heat soaked real quick and doesn't do much ( especially at idle). If you sit at a light for a minute or 2 your underhood air temp skyrockets, you hit the gas wanting to feel that neck snapping we all love, and the car bogs down because it just got a mouth full of nice, hot, steamy air (yum). My opinion recently has changed on these things, I think most of them are only good in winter and when the motor is cold. Mine also runs great on highway travel...but stop and go traffic...FORGET IT! I'm going to look into the "Stock airbox Mod" that several members have switched too, or get an RDP or B'Woody cai that puts the filter down behind the fender and out of the engine bay.:beerchug:

So ... I ... just ... wasted ... $400

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yeah, I've got the Mopar CAI and I didn't really notice a difference in the performance, but then again I didn't really expect to given the amount that a CAI normally increases performance makes less of a difference as the engine gets bigger (5hp on a 180hp engine is much more of a difference than 5hp on a 370hp engine). I am however thinking that in the spring once the temp starts to go up around these parts I might try a few home made mods to try to isolate the CAI off more from the engine. I'll obviously keep everyone informed when I do it, but as for now, I drive mostly highway and am relatively gentle on the car compared to most of you guys I think.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The new 20's are alloy wheels OE refinished ... they are the same type of wheels I had before just a new finish and they are pretty light. I don't think the wheels should have that huge of an impact then right? I was leaning more towards the CAI being the culprit ...

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
This is the truth.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Another member has come to the truth, YES!!:beerchug::bigthumb::banana:

·
Registered
5,160 Posts

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
The new 20's are alloy wheels OE refinished ... they are the same type of wheels I had before just a new finish and they are pretty light. I don't think the wheels should have that huge of an impact then right? I was leaning more towards the CAI being the culprit ...
A 20" OE alloy wheel will be heavier than an 18" OE alloy wheel. Now if you bought a 20" 3pc. it might be the same weight as the factory 18" but they cost a lot!

Basically the two combined( CAI and 20")are causing the difference.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts