Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I see lots of posts about sounds, taps noises etc.. but I’m posting this one as I have not found anything exactly like it. Whenever I drive my 2014 Dodge Charger R/T AWD over a small bumps or railroad track type bumps there is 1-3 quick rattles or “taps” underneath the car sounds like something is loose with the exhaust.

I had a Flowmaster Force II Cat Back Exhaust installed right before it became like Antarctica in the Chicago area. I’m not sure if the sound was their prior to the installation because I was paying way more attention to the sounds once the new exhaust was in. I brought it back to the “Certified Flowmaster Dealer” who installed it, and they said its fine, nothing wrong etc. Tried to tell me I’m hearing the VVT kick in (8-4 “eco” mode or whatever). But I know that’s not it. The VVT (or MDS or whatever it’s called) kicks in and then the sound in the exhaust is a deeper sound, so I know that sound. It is a sound like the pipes are hitting something. Maybe it’s not exhaust, could be something else I didn’t notice till it got so friggin cold.

I have not gotten it on a lift myself yet, and I will probably bring it somewhere else to check. But I did get under there and looked around, grabbed it, tested the firmness of the system and it seems tight.

Nothing else under there, like snow, or ice, I checked that also. nothing in my trunk, or back seat, nothing inside the car, it’s definitely underneath the floor that I am hearing, possibly towards the rear.

Again I only notice these rattles (seems like it’s right behind driver’s seat under car, but somewhere below for sure) when I drive with cold car over bumps, after it warms up the noise disappears completely. Could it be the mufflers themselves? Has anyone else had an issue with this exhaust, or similar with any late model charger?

I’m hesitant to bring to dealer since they might just tell me it’s the “aftermarket” Exhaust.

Any insight/ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Hey! Welcome to the forums from Aurora! Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars club at your service as well!
if you are sure it may be the exhaust, give it some break in time, then head back to the shop that installed it for any adjustments after breaking in, some minor adjustments may be necessary after the exhaust has had time to move around and fit itself right in.
There may be a dog bone crossmember that it may rattle against, it may neeed a spacer or aftermarket crossmember for space depending on size of exhaust. I went srt magnaflow exhaust on my rt and my exhaust crossmember needed 2 nuts to space it accordingly.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
I would guess that its the new exhaust, bring it back to the installer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Done Deal

Hey! Welcome to the forums from Aurora! Chicagoland Area Modern Mopars club at your service as well!
if you are sure it may be the exhaust, give it some break in time, then head back to the shop that installed it for any adjustments after breaking in, some minor adjustments may be necessary after the exhaust has had time to move around and fit itself right in.
There may be a dog bone crossmember that it may rattle against, it may neeed a spacer or aftermarket crossmember for space depending on size of exhaust. I went srt magnaflow exhaust on my rt and my exhaust crossmember needed 2 nuts to space it accordingly.
Done deal! Thanks for the clue about the cross bar, that’s the first place I looked. I was able to get it up on a rack at my buddy’s body shop and we found the problem in 2 minutes. The driver side exhaust pipe was riding on the cross bar. Basically it would bump up and down while still cold, but once heated up, it probably expanded enough to simply push against the cross bar and the bumps would not lift it off the bar so the noise went away when hot. Loosened the exhaust a little, moved it a bit to see if we could raise it and straighten it some as it seemed to lean left so that left side was lower. Then added a couple washers as spacers to the cross bar and no more rattle. These guys I took it too were a “Certified Flow master dealer", and they didn’t see this easy fix? I even brought it back to them and they said they found nothing. My untrained eye found it easily. The name of the place is Street Style in St. Charles IL. I guess you could say I don’t recommend them. When I went back to pick it up after the supposedly rechecked everything they completely dismissed me and my concern. I took pics of the rubbing spots on the cross bar and the pipe itself as proof it was rubbing and ridding on it. Anyway, thanks again for the insight, hope this helps the next shabby install for someone. Exhaust sounds great, but when it shifts gears there is like a weird popping/baffle sound that I find annoying. It shouldn’t make any sound when shifting. But that’s a topic for another thread.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Done deal! Thanks for the clue about the cross bar, that’s the first place I looked. I was able to get it up on a rack at my buddy’s body shop and we found the problem in 2 minutes. The driver side exhaust pipe was riding on the cross bar. Basically it would bump up and down while still cold, but once heated up, it probably expanded enough to simply push against the cross bar and the bumps would not lift it off the bar so the noise went away when hot. Loosened the exhaust a little, moved it a bit to see if we could raise it and straighten it some as it seemed to lean left so that left side was lower. Then added a couple washers as spacers to the cross bar and no more rattle. These guys I took it too were a “Certified Flow master dealer", and they didn’t see this easy fix? I even brought it back to them and they said they found nothing. My untrained eye found it easily. The name of the place is Street Style in St. Charles IL. I guess you could say I don’t recommend them. When I went back to pick it up after the supposedly rechecked everything they completely dismissed me and my concern. I took pics of the rubbing spots on the cross bar and the pipe itself as proof it was rubbing and ridding on it. Anyway, thanks again for the insight, hope this helps the next shabby install for someone. Exhaust sounds great, but when it shifts gears there is like a weird popping/baffle sound that I find annoying. It shouldn’t make any sound when shifting. But that’s a topic for another thread.
Come on down to Aurora exhaust shops. Dunno if they are "Certified" but believe they have more than enough experience to do things right and see all sorts of problems.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Oh btw for that sound, try getting a high flow filter to go with that exhaust. Might need more free flow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts